Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone here installed the Safe-T-Plus?

I've been reading about the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and it sounds nice, but I don't know if the Safe-T-Plus is worth installing on a Road Master S-series (M10S) chassis which is already pretty stable with the Tag axle.

However, I am concerned about the possibility of losing control in the event of a front tire blow out. Of course that's the "concern" Safe-T-Plus is counting on - and what sells these devices.

Has anyone installed one and found that it helps with "normal driving comfort" and steering stability? It would be easier to justify spending the money if it helped in the daily driving of the rig.

The cost of this thing is about $600 with shipping (self install) and it's hard to justify buying it if the only time it does anything is during a blow out (which hopefully will never happen).

I guess its like buying insurance - but in this case there is no guarantee that this device will actually do anything (help) in a blow out situation either.

Lastly, the way it is described and from the videos I've seen, it looks like this device has an internal spring setup that is used to center the wheels (unlike a standard steering damper that is just a hydraulic shock). If that is the case, I would think that turning the wheel would require more force to overcome this centering-spring. Do you think that additional force will wear out the steering components or the power steering pump sooner?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #2

We have one, and love it. Freightliner service said it steers a bit stiff because of it, but I'm fine with that. I do not have a tag and seldom notice any movement when meeting 18 wheelers on the highway, which I believe is because of the Safe-T-Plus. And as you mentioned it is said to help a lot in case of a blow out.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #3

I installed the Safe-T-Plus last summer shortly after getting our 2003 Safari partially because I felt like the steering seems sloppy. I could sense an immediate improvement after the install. The handling improved and it did not seem like I was fighting the wheel to keep it in the lane. For me the safety factor was secondary.
I did pay for alignment and installation plus general suspension check (about $1100) and still feel like it was well worth the expense.

Lowell
lowellvahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #4

Country B, Have you checked to see if your steering gear was made by Shepard or TRW? Shepard gears have some play that cannot be adjusted out. Might wanna check. I hope I don't have to find out what a blowout will do to my steering!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Just had one installed last week at CW in Chattanooga and have since driven it back to Ft Wayne, over 500 Miles. It might be in my head, but I did notice a difference in stability and tracking, but I don't have a tag axle. I would think with a tag you'd be pretty stable without one.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Country B, Have you checked to see if your steering gear was made by Shepard or TRW? Shepard gears have some play that cannot be adjusted out. Might wanna check. I hope I don't have to find out what a blowout will do to my steering!
Yes. Mine is a TRW.
I have no steering complaints now - I'm just a little scared about a front tire blow out now after seeing some of the accident videos posted on this forum.

The other consideration was to get one of those "in the tire" devices like the Tyron band. http://www.tyron-usa.com/ But the Safe-T-Plus is cheaper and I could install that myself -and maybe it would add some driving comfort.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
At the DWs request, I installed one on the 06 LaPalma 2 years ago. Made the highway much better since it substantially reduced movement from wind and big rigs pushing us around.
Major thing is peace of mind for my nervous passenger.

We were so happy with it that I immediately bought another unit for the 08 Diplomat I bought last week.
PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
just a little scared about a front tire blow out now after seeing some of the accident videos posted on this forum.
Perhaps caused by old tires that should have been removed long ago.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mike, I put one on our Roadmaster chassis for the same reason....just in case...
It made no improvement on the Roadmaster as it already tracks and handles fantastic no matter the conditions and I do not have a tag.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Perhaps caused by old tires that should have been removed long ago.
That may be true. But road debris can also cause a blow out.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
I'm looking at installing a Safe-T-Plus too on my S-Series Monaco. But I would not install it without the Henderson Trim kit.

I had a Truecenter on my previous MH (Cayman 09) and it made driving a lot better. The advantage of the Truecenter was to be able to re-center the steering when driving on a crown road or when the wind was constantly pushing on the MH.

That came at a cost as there was springs (270 pounds) to force the steering to recenter at all time. Of course it was OK when you want to go straight but it did increase the force to make a turn. Since the body adjust, I didn't find it excessive and after a couple of days, it was not a problem.

I loved the system but a couple of times the solenoid failed and the re-center feature was not working anymore (It actually became a Safe-T-Plus). So if you're driving in a constant side wind, you'll have to counteract the wind and the spring.

Like you, my Dynasty drives extremely well with the tag and is not wandering but I would like to make it better. Blue-Ox is not marketing the Truecenter anymore so the alternative is the STP but I would not install it without the possibility of re-centering the steering on the fly and that can be done with the Trim kit.

I'm trying to find if the kit works on S-Series frame and if there are inherent problems with it...

Otherwise, I'll just re-install my old non-working Truecenter as a blow-out protection.
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Yes, then I took it off. It made the steering to tight. With or without I felt little to no difference.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty_09 View Post
Mike,
I'm looking at installing a Safe-T-Plus too on my S-Series Monaco. But I would not install it without the Henderson Trim kit.
I have had the STP with the Henderson trim kit on our 45' SIG for 4 years and 55,000+miles. Really like it and especially in a strong cross wind or on crowned road. It works well and the blow out protection (hope I never need it) is always there.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I think I'll skip the Saf-T-Plus and just save the money.

I have a Saint Christopher medallion hanging off the dash now and I've never had an accident or blow out, so I think it is safe to assume the medallion does as much good as the Safe-T-Plus would.

One can not prove that either works or doesn't work.

Tags
install, led