Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

Just want to make sure I understand the trailing arm problem

Very new to the forum but not to RVs. We are currently in a Born Free Class C but are actively shopping for a good used class A. Among the finalists is a 2003 Monaco Knight 36PST. I've read through the various threads concerning the trailing arm problem and I believe that I understand what to check for when we see the unit again early next week.
If I understand it correctly the R4R and RR4R Roadmaster chassis were built with one of three rear suspension systems. The one that is problematic is the Monaco Gold or R-Way unit. I feel confident that I can tell if the RV in question has been outfitted with the replacement trailing arms manufactured by Source or if it is still sporting the possibly defective arms.
The other two possible suspension systems are the Neway or Reyco. I did not find any references to either of these systems having a problem similar to the Monaco Gold. I haven't found any photos that would help me identify either of these suspensions so I will simply look for trailing arms that don't look like the Gold system or the Source replacement pieces. Is one of these systems preferable over the other?
I also ran across several complaints concerning the poor ride quality of the Roadmaster chassis but that it could be improved with Source's ride enhancement parts. In a few descriptions the ugly term "lumber truck" came up a time or two.lol..... does anyone have comments concerning the Reyco or Neway suspension and if one is preferred over another?
I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, or advice and hopefully if I've misstated the trailing arm problem please correct me. I really don't want to buy the unit and immediately have to spend 2-3000 bucks getting it to where it should have already been. Thanks for any insights
41woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Contact John Brazel at the website in the sticky at the top of this section. He is the "go to" guy on this issue.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #3

Thumbs down Monaco or whatever they call themselves today

Just don't buy a Monaco, buy something from the few manufacturer still in business. Don't trust a company that goes BK too save themselves then put the same top three execs back in their same positions. They engineered a BK but they can't engineer a coach. Didn't have the heart to save their customers!! Don't trust them ever again!!
tvnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41woodie View Post
Very new to the forum but not to RVs. We are currently in a Born Free Class C but are actively shopping for a good used class A. Among the finalists is a 2003 Monaco Knight 36PST. I've read through the various threads concerning the trailing arm problem and I believe that I understand what to check for when we see the unit again early next week.
If I understand it correctly the R4R and RR4R Roadmaster chassis were built with one of three rear suspension systems. The one that is problematic is the Monaco Gold or R-Way unit. I feel confident that I can tell if the RV in question has been outfitted with the replacement trailing arms manufactured by Source or if it is still sporting the possibly defective arms.
The other two possible suspension systems are the Neway or Reyco. I did not find any references to either of these systems having a problem similar to the Monaco Gold. I haven't found any photos that would help me identify either of these suspensions so I will simply look for trailing arms that don't look like the Gold system or the Source replacement pieces. Is one of these systems preferable over the other?
I also ran across several complaints concerning the poor ride quality of the Roadmaster chassis but that it could be improved with Source's ride enhancement parts. In a few descriptions the ugly term "lumber truck" came up a time or two.lol..... does anyone have comments concerning the Reyco or Neway suspension and if one is preferred over another?
I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, or advice and hopefully if I've misstated the trailing arm problem please correct me. I really don't want to buy the unit and immediately have to spend 2-3000 bucks getting it to where it should have already been. Thanks for any insights
The '03 Knight does have the problematic trailing arms. If this coach is one you would like to pursue then you should call Source Manufacturing and talk to them about both the trailing arm kit and the ride enhancement kit. The 4 air bag chassis was an attempt by Monaco to introduce a coach with a Diesel engine and air suspension which would be in a price range with gas/spring chassis. They were not as successful as they should have been. The Source kits can help this chassis greatly. To have both kits installed would be around $7,000. I would also council looking a couple of years older and get into an 8 air bag chassis like an Endeavor or Diplomat. The chassis under these coaches is among the best in the industry. Despite the opinion of another poster in this thread, there are plenty of very well engineered and manufactured Monaco coaches out there which represent exceptional value. I have lived full time in one for more than 6 years now.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvnerd View Post
Just don't buy a Monaco, buy something from the few manufacturer still in business. Don't trust a company that goes BK too save themselves then put the same top three execs back in their same positions. They engineered a BK but they can't engineer a coach. Didn't have the heart to save their customers!! Don't trust them ever again!!
A year ago I bought an 06 HR Endeavor and am very unhappy with it. The trim inside falls off, only on with a little glue and a few brads. The bay door skin came unglued (attached with 2 sided tape). The worst is the steering. It has free play and requires constant adjustment going down the road. Tires are new, front end aligned and a link replaced. The dealer tech drove it and said it's ok and the new ones are worse. I've talked to owners with Spartan and Freightliner and they drive nicely, one drives 90 mph. I'm going to trade it for a Tiffin as everyone brags on the company.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
A year ago I bought an 06 HR Endeavor and am very unhappy with it. The trim inside falls off, only on with a little glue and a few brads. The bay door skin came unglued (attached with 2 sided tape). The worst is the steering. It has free play and requires constant adjustment going down the road. Tires are new, front end aligned and a link replaced. The dealer tech drove it and said it's ok and the new ones are worse. I've talked to owners with Spartan and Freightliner and they drive nicely, one drives 90 mph. I'm going to trade it for a Tiffin as everyone brags on the company.
Rusty,

You are obviously unhappy and want to trade, but I owned a coach on a Freightliner chassis before my current coach and I can tell you for sure that my chassis was a bear to drive. There are a number of things that can cause your particular issue. The best chassis shop in the country is in Orlando and a good all wheel alignment and ride height adjustment can really help. You should have the front wheel bearings checked for too much play and even tire pressure not where it should be can cause squirrelly handling. There is a valve in the power steering that can also cause the need for constant correction.

Or just trade but don't assume that will solve your problems. If you are listening to coach owners who brag aout driving their coach at 90, then you need new friends. i dont know of a motorhome tire rated at over 75. Enjoy Red Bay.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Rusty,

You are obviously unhappy and want to trade, but I owned a coach on a Freightliner chassis before my current coach and I can tell you for sure that my chassis was a bear to drive. There are a number of things that can cause your particular issue. The best chassis shop in the country is in Orlando and a good all wheel alignment and ride height adjustment can really help. You should have the front wheel bearings checked for too much play and even tire pressure not where it should be can cause squirrelly handling. There is a valve in the power steering that can also cause the need for constant correction.

Or just trade but don't assume that will solve your problems. If you are listening to coach owners who brag aout driving their coach at 90, then you need new friends. i dont know of a motorhome tire rated at over 75. Enjoy Red Bay.
I had the rig at Freightliner where I learned that it's not possible to have tight steering on a mh like on a car do to the height and how wind affects it. Some freeplay is necessary, too bad no one till now told me how these rigs drive.

Apparently these chassis are a personal preference and not every one is the same from one factory. Thanks for your input.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The comment to stay away from Monaco is good advise. It's bad enough to have the fox in the henhouse once, but to build a new henhouse and but the fox in yourself is flat our stupid.
worob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by worob View Post
The comment to stay away from Monaco is good advise. It's bad enough to have the fox in the henhouse once, but to build a new henhouse and but the fox in yourself is flat our stupid.
I guess I don't understand your reference.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #10

Rusty, Read the "wandering" thread on the Monaco owner's forum. When your Roadmaster chassis handles poorly or wanders, there is a reason. It's just not any one of the tired old reasons you normally see posted. And yes, any coach by any builder can have tight steering. Some are better than others. Roadmaster is one of the best when everything is right. No, large vehicles like MH's don't handle like cars, but neither do they have to work you to death to keep them in your lane, nor feel like you are skidding down the highway on a bar stool. If you can't drive comfortably with one hand while observing the scenery, tuning the radio and reaching for your coffee cup, I feel your pain.

Start by determining if you have a TRW or Shepard steering gear.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36 pulling one Harley
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Some trailing arm inspections are bogus

I had the trailing arms on my MH inspected by Freightliner (seller's selection of shop.. they were doing some repairs prior to sale closing) before I took delivery from the seller. They said the arms were fine as per Monaco Recall (my VIN wasn't part of the recall but Monaco recommended inspection anyway). Had the coach in a week later (after sale closed/delivery) to a different shop (recommended by Monaco) to correct a pull to the right steering problem. They showed me the trailing arms were both cracked when it was up on the lift.

After replacing both arms with Source Mfg. trailing arms and repositioning the rear axle 1/4 inch forward on one side, the coach drives almost perfectly. Only bothered by the wind now. Steers with two fingers. Happy with Massey Diesel but not with Freightliner!