Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
leveling problems

We just bought a 2009 Monaco Cayman. This is our first Class A Motorhome. I have heard that I am supposed to extend my slide-outs, then level my coach, and at last dump the air bags. I have tried to level with 50amp and the generator, but could not. It seems that I must have the coach's diesel motor running. My problem is, I can not dump my air bags without starting the engine and this starts filling the bags again. I don't know maybe I am just doing it all wrong. Any thoughts?
roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It's slideouts extended, dump air bags and then level. After the slideouts are extended, put the ignition in the accessory position and hold the dump switch while pumping the brakes. The air will dump faster and when it does, you can level.

At least, this is what I do.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
leveling

Thank you for the info!
roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The levelling system on the 2009 Cayman/Neptune is very voltage sensitive. The manual advises that the engine MUST be running in order for the system to operate. On my Neptune this is the case as the Lippert system will not operate without a running engine. This causes a bit of a problem with air dumping as the air will re-pressurize while attempting to level unless the dump switch is operated simultaneously. A two handed job – or two person preferably!
There is a work-around that may or may not work for you. Try connecting to shore power prior to levelling and leave connected prior to retracting the jacks. Use the battery boost switch, and if the levelling panel “low voltage” light extinguishes after a short time, you’re good to go without having to start the engine.
Another 2009 Neptune owner has been able to use this method with a high degree of success. Mine has not co-operated in this mode due to a suspected problem with the Trombetta contactor.
Dennis
Old 12-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco RV's were designed by idiots! I can not imagine this type of system making it past Navistar's design department.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The manual advises that the engine MUST be running in order for the system to operate. On my Neptune this is the case as the Lippert system will not operate without a running engine.
I know you said the manual tells you the engine "must" be running, but have you tried it with the key in the "on" position without the engine actually running?

On my 07, the engine and key must be off to extend the slides. After doing that I put the key in the "on" position (engine still off) to dump air, then I extend levelors. After I'm level, I turn the key "off".
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yes Bob,

That was the very first thing that I tried. The low voltage light remained illuminated and the system does not function.

However, I finally replaced the Trombetta contactor and now when plugged into shore power or with the generator running, activating the battery boost switch does provide sufficient voltage to allow levelling operation with the key in the accessory position.

As a side note, the 2009 model charging system provides power to the chassis batteries when the house batteries are recharged, which allows retracting the levellers without the need for using the boost switch providing that shore power is still connected. (Either a BIRD system or its equivalent).

Dennis
Old 12-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Dennis,

Glad you found a way to do it, but what a pain in the butt.

This appears to be another example of a design made by someone that sits behind a desk rather than the pilots seat.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a photograph of the original Trombetta Contactor. The stationary contacts are covered with verdigris (an excellent insulator). The moving contacts were not too bad, however the contactor resistance was infinite.

I cleaned up the old unit and will keep it as a spare.

Dennis
Old 12-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #10

A while back at the Monaco service center the tech showed me another way to quickly dump the air tanks. He held the air dump switch then gently depressed the air brake. I don't mean to start a new discussion here, just relating what the people who work on these things for a living do.
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote