Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Little looseness in the steering

Had the coach in for coolant and tranny service so while in there asked him to look at front end and steering...
Mentioned the sheppard steering box threads here and he said it was the drag ling rod ends were going bad...

not going to fall off any time soon, but can be addressed after my summer trip...

He said the part from Monaco/REV was a "stupid price" and recomends he have his suspension guy duplicate the part.... ?

I mean. the coach has been doing this since we got it in 2015 and i just thought it was the tag axle lightening the front end to make it float a bit.... never felt it was dangerous....

Anyone experienced anything like this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Drag link ends should be available from a truck shop parts department. Or Napa store. Probably a better price too.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco drag links are special for each chassis and usually only have one replaceable rod end while the other is swaged to the drag link. That's why they are expensive to replace.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
recomends he have his suspension guy duplicate the part.... ?
I mean. the coach has been doing this since we got it in 2015 and i just thought it was the tag axle lightening the front end to make it float a bit.
So which steering box do you have?
Yes, having one made will be cheaper assuming both ends are bad.
A tag does not lift the front, it adds weight to the front.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
So which steering box do you have?
Yes, having one made will be cheaper assuming both ends are bad.
A tag does not lift the front, it adds weight to the front.

well, when it's pogo-ing it gets heavy then light, heavy then light
Old 03-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
A RR10S chassis should not be “pogo-ing” down the road. What are your axle weights and how much air in the airbags for the tag axle? Might as well add what tire pressures too. Do you know which steering box?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
A RR10S chassis should not be “pogo-ing” down the road. What are your axle weights and how much air in the airbags for the tag axle? Might as well add what tire pressures too. Do you know which steering box?
ok, the front end goes up and down... not drastically, but it does... and not really my concern... ride is fine...

But, last time I weighed it is in pic below...
and tag axle has not changed that I know of from 35'ish.... tried to play with psi a bit, but transferred too much weight onto front for the 13k axle so had to back it back down...

Originally had sheppard steering box based on datatcard, but we are the 3rd owners and I've not crawled under to see if it's been changed...

Tire psi around 100 for front and 90 for rest...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	238502   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160328Latest.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	238503  

Old 03-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Are you stating that your tag axle tires are at 35psi??? The tag axel tires should be the same as the drive axel tires psi.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Oh my God, I hope my tires are not

the tag axle gauge for the down pressure on the tag axle as asked for in the previous post and shown in the pic
Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
ok, the front end goes up and down... not drastically, but it does... and not really my concern... ride is fine...

and tag axle has not changed that I know of from 35'ish.... tried to play with psi a bit, but transferred too much weight onto front for the 13k axle so had to back it back down...

Originally had sheppard steering box based on datatcard, but we are the 3rd owners and I've not crawled under to see if it's been changed...

Any way you can move some stuff towards the back? Being that you are so close to the max for your front axel, and light on the tag, it may smarten up with more weight on the tag.
How old are your shocks? They could be the problem with the porpoising.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
That's part of the problem - moving stuff toward the back, that is....

since a tag axle, no real bay/compartments behind the drive axle and what's there is filled with batteries and air filteres, etc...

and our floor plan has bath at the rear so we do load as much as possible in the closet, but will try to see if the DW has put more up front while I wasn't looking
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor plan.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	238534   Click image for larger version

Name:	50dont_copy.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	238535  

Name:	dont_copy4.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	238536  
Old 03-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
That's part of the problem - moving stuff toward the back, that is....

since a tag axle, no real bay/compartments behind the drive axle and what's there is filled with batteries and air filteres, etc...

and our floor plan has bath at the rear so we do load as much as possible in the closet, but will try to see if the DW has put more up front while I wasn't looking
It is surprising how much all those little things add up to! I think we have enough table settings in our rig to run a restaurant!
My wife likes to cook and feed people.
I have a buddy that has an air bagged tag, and he says it makes a huge difference in driving ease with more air in the tag bags.
Happy Glamping.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
and tag axle has not changed that I know of from 35'ish.... tried to play with psi a bit, but transferred too much weight onto front for the 13k axle so had to back it down.
Not much you can do other than heavier stuff to the rear. I would have thought by 2011 Monaco would have moved the fuel tank back from the front bay, like they did on the bigger rigs.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
The more I think about it, I may look at the shocks as someone suggested...
they could explain the semi pogo I get which COULD lead to a bit of floowing the road surface left and right...

and they may be oem with 40k+ miles on them

(that is along with the drag link end)

Leaving Wed morning for Cajun Palms so will pay more attention to the symptoms...

Thanks for all the responses...

Tags
steering