Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 11:06 PM   #1
Saf

My repair for 2002 RR8S broken shock mounts

I've read and learned much on irv2 over the years. I'm very grateful. So I'd like to share something I did on a 2002 40' HR Endeavor.

I discovered the drivers side rear shocks had busted the mounting studs. They had come out of the 1" hole they were very poorly welded into. The mechanics wanted $1300 for re-welding to repair it.

Instead I ordered several grade 5 1" x 4" bolts. I had a machinist with his CNC machine returned the bolts as in the pics below so I could bolt them back on. I cleaned out the hole with a dremel. Cost about $175 parts and labor, and I put them back on.

Broken stud

Machined bolt

on shock

Bolt mounted shock

The machinist has saved my program so I can get more if i need. But I had 2 extra made for the price I paid.

Unfortunately it hasn't repaired my extreme swaying problem after I make tight 90 degree turns at city corners. Feels like the back end is wandering back and forth and if I stop for a couple minutes and drive away it's gone.

Wide turns no problem. New tires, balanced, suspension and steering components checked.

Travels at 65 mph on highways in cross winds with no problem. Going to Colton's garage in LA Monday to find out, the local San Diego mechanic can't solve it.

Saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

Do you have a rear sway bar? If you v an get them, a rear sway and Trac bar make a big difference in sway control.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Great work!
I also have a broken upper shock mount (see below).
Mine sheared off and I have to re-drill the hole.
What is the diameter of the stud that goes through the shock eye?
Does your coach use the Bilstein 24-187312 shock?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/broke...le-373734.html
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:36 AM   #4
Saf

The stud that came out of the hole was 1" and that is the size bolt I had machined. My stud didn't break, it popped out. That looks hard to drill out.

I saw the link to the shock mounts but I don't think they are strong enough for big rv's., mine grosses out at 31,000lb.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #5

Are the shocks original? If they are , they might need replacement.
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
Saf

Update. After i fixed the shock mounts it rides well and tracks good when I didn't tow my car.

The problem was I always had my little 1993 Honda Civic VX attached to the MH and when I made sharp corners the front wheels of the car would bounce from side to side steering the car back and forth. That would cause my whole 32,000lb home to shake back and forth. I never dreamed a 1800lb car would have that much effect.

So I tied a bungee to the cars steering wheel and I guess that was to tight. because when I went around a city block about 2 miles the cars tire resisted the turn so much that the cars front box frame and bumber ripped off and I lost the car. Very frightening when someone pulls beside you and says your car is gone.

Very fortunate when I went back to look for it, it had stop 1 foot in front a guardrail because one of the safety chains stayed with the car and drag under the front tire acting as a brake. I thank God that no one was hurt or no damage.

I learned to use a car now that I can bolt a base plate to and will be using break away brake lock from now on. I also learned the chains are only as good as the connecting links that hold them to the vehicles and will make sure I get high strength ones.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #7

That has to be one of the best work arounds I've ever seen to a real problem. I've bookmarked this page!!
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #8

Re-broken shock mount fix

Where did you get the bolts made? Mine are all broke. Thanks.
Bgarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:13 AM   #9
Saf

I had them made by a machinist in San Diego.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #10
Saf

Here is the number of Derick who machined my bolts, for my model he has already a program for his lathe. Very reasonable. 6193000835 . I bought the 1" bolts from Fastenal then he turned them.

Tags
repair, air