Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #15

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7 View Post
1. That's the measurement I used, but with the front tires being 1.3" smaller in diameter (.65" axle height difference), I was curious as to the effect on drive angle.
2. Placard shows 14,600 front axle with 295/80Rx22.5 at 115psi. Monaco tech would not comment as to the effect of the smaller tire or necessary psi compensation (if possible).
The tech needs to go back to school. You might ask the dealer why they allow unsafe (overloaded) tires on vehicles leaving their shop?

Your 295's at 115psi are rated for 7,570# if they are LR-H or 7,840 if LR-J but even at LR-H the 275/80R22.5 at their max of 120 only support 7,160 so your tires would be illegal for Monaco to sell on a new coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Let me echo what tothers have said about the tires. My coach has the 14,600# axle and is very close to max'd out with full fuel and the front bays loaded for travel. I would step up to the 295/80 tires asap.

You said that the transmission fluid replacement was 5 gallons. I'd look into that. We recently replaced the Transyn in our 4000 Series Allison and it took 44 quarts, including about 5 quarts used to flush it.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 07-22-2016, 03:00 AM   #17

I think I have the same setup. The bedroom has two distribution panels. Left panel has all the outlets powered by the inverter with a 50 amp breaker labeled "inverter." The panel on the right has the AC units, washer, dryer, etc. powered by the generator/shore power directly with a "main" 240v 50 amp breaker and also has a 50 amp "inverter" breaker. The schematic shows the right panel as feeding the inverter and the left panel receiving power from the inverter.

As for the inverter having a single line in....that lacks logic and a line from the generator was never installed in it or set up by Monaco to work that way. This eliminates the ability of the inverter to operate the generator when needed/programmed. The schematic shows only one line in connection in the inverter but also shows (2) 30 amp breakers for the inverter in EACH panel, one being for "Line 1" and the other being for "Line 2." I only have (1) 50 amp inverter breaker in each panel. If the inverter receives its power from the "main" breaker which is supplied by either the generator or shore power, it can't differentiate the source and thus no generator line on the inverter. I question why Monaco set it up this way. Running two separate breakers from the transfer switch (one for generator and one for shore) that feeds the inverter input on separate lines would be a good solution and eliminate a long 10g wire loop from the interior panel. But...what do I know?

I'm thinking the transfer switch has jumpers because of a failure but I haven't had time to test it. I printed out the manufacturer test instructions but I'm 16 hours from home right now....so can't afford any complications with something that is currently working for me. One curiosity of mine is whether the shore power line is hot when the generator is running whereas the transfer switch connection is bridged. I know people that back feed their generators into their houses in the event of a power outage and this is kind of what they do to accomplish that. Maybe it has a gate to prevent back feeding but I'll test it the next time I fire up the generator.
scott7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:22 AM   #18

To clarify....the receipts shows (6) 295/80R22.5 on the rear and (2) 275/80R22.5 on the front. In reality the coach front tires are actually 295/75R22.5. They are all Double Coin RR680 tires with the rear dual max at 6780lb/120psi, rear single max at 7390lb/120psi and front max at 6175lb/110psi. So the front is overloaded based on being a combined 12,350lb max rating.

I called the service center that installed the tires (MentorRV in Madison, OH) and the tech said he sent it out to a guy who "does Prevost buses and fire trucks.....he had to use different tires in the front because of an availability issue after waiting a month." That's BS and a Prevost/fire truck guy would surely be smarter than that. He wouldn't give the name of the mysterious installer though and they aren't listed by Double Coin as an installer.... so no recourse with the manufacturer whereas they can't control what some unqualified idiot did with their product. New tires are not in the budget and big incentive to purchasing this particular coach was the fact that it had new tires.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:26 AM   #19

5 gallons is apparently what's in the pan without flushing the system and usually done when the filters are replaced every 25k. I don't see why the pan was drained but no indication that the filters were replaced. It will be parked where I'm at for a few months and before I leave here I'll be doing a complete service myself.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #20

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7 View Post
To clarify....the receipts shows (6) 295/80R22.5 on the rear and (2) 275/80R22.5 on the front. In reality the coach front tires are actually 295/75R22.5. They are all Double Coin RR680 tires with the rear dual max at 6780lb/120psi, rear single max at 7390lb/120psi and front max at 6175lb/110psi. So the front is overloaded based on being a combined 12,350lb max rating.

I called the service center that installed the tires (MentorRV in Madison, OH) and the tech said he sent it out to a guy who "does Prevost buses and fire trucks.....he had to use different tires in the front because of an availability issue after waiting a month." That's BS and a Prevost/fire truck guy would surely be smarter than that. He wouldn't give the name of the mysterious installer though and they aren't listed by Double Coin as an installer.... so no recourse with the manufacturer whereas they can't control what some unqualified idiot did with their product. New tires are not in the budget and big incentive to purchasing this particular coach was the fact that it had new tires.
IMO Mentor RV is responsible for the work and for having under-sized and probably overloaded tires on the Front, after all they are the ones that you paid to have the work done. Would they consider it acceptable to put a Chevy oil filter on a Ford vehicle just because they were out of stock on Chevy filters?
You are correct that it is not the tire mfg fault or responsibility.
IMO Mentor RV owes you a pair of tires as it is possible that the tires you have might have sustained some damage due to overload.

I would send them a registered letter advising them of your concern with the safety of their work. I would CC the BBB in Mentor Better Business Bureau Serving Greater Cleveland

As a tire engineer it is my opinion that placing undersized tires on the front of a large RV is an unsafe practice.

You might want to include a copy of a current weigh slip for your front axle.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
Throwing in my two-cents worth: The LM1200 Norcold had several recalls following a series of fires sometime back. Plus, mine wouldn't keep ice cream hard.
Consequently, I replaced it with a Whirlpool 22.5 side-by-side refer/freezer. The refrigerator was about $900 or so...the installation was done by Beckly's in Thurmont, MD. Total tab for the install was about $1,800 and the did an amazing job with wood work.
If you're handy with wood, you can salvage panels from the drawer under the Norcold. I also added a second PSW inverter just for the fridge.
tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
One place you might go for an answer about your electrical wiring of the inventor is Elkhart Sales and Service. Talk to Tom Bumpus (574) 262-9499. He was the main electrical troubleshooter for Holiday Rambler/Monaco back when your coach was build.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote