Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #1

Odd tire wear on my steer tires

I have a 2005 Safari Panther with an "S" series tag axle chassis. I purchased it 4 years ago and have put around 26,000 mi on it since I purchased it. I replaced all 8 tires when I bought it with Michelin XZA2 Energy 295-80R22.5. I have had no issues with the front end, I have lubed it a couple of times, the king pins were checked and are tight, had a little looseness in the left wheel bearing which I tightened today. I noticed the other day that the left side tire is worn down to the wear bars on the inside of the tire with some wear across the face with the outside tread being the thickest. I also noticed that the right tire has plenty of tread across the face but the very inside edge is worn down. I have not had it aligned but it was aligned before I bought it. It doesn't look like camber or toe wear on either tire. I don't believe it is shocks because it is even wear rather than choppy wear. The right side tire may be due to "rivering" although that is usually a wavy wear pattern. I have a feeling that the there may be a misalignment problem with the rear axle although the rear tires are all wearing evenly. I can't believe that I have to replace 2 tires after only 26k miles. Has anyone run into this problem before? Any of you experienced chassis guys have any suggestions? Hope the pics come through.Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	181383

Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	181384
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #2

See linked tire wear guide. Kinda looks like what's shown on page 112.

http://www.euroratas.lt/galery/_euro...ysis_guide.pdf
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

I had the same tire wear. It was the toe in. Really! It worked
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Just how loose was that left bearing? It sort of looks like a combination of toe and possibly loose bearing.
How close are you to max load rate on that axel?
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #5

I have the same size tires and kad the same edge wear pattern along with some cupping. I moved the tag tire to the front and front to the tag along with installing Koni shocks. Did a 5k mile trip out west and tire wear is perfectly flat. No outer edge wear or cupping and much better handling.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Just how loose was that left bearing? It sort of looks like a combination of toe and possibly loose bearing.

How close are you to max load rate on that axel?

Happy Glamping.

The bearing was a little loose, enough that I could feel it with the tire off the ground. I didn't think about the loading of the axle, I had it weighed before but I will revisit it and see if I need to change the tag pressure.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
See linked tire wear guide. Kinda looks like what's shown on page 112.

http://www.euroratas.lt/galery/_euro...ysis_guide.pdf

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much. For those of you with a tag axle, have you weighed your coach and how much weight do you have on the front end? The last time I weighed mine I had 12,860lbs on the steer tires. What pressure are you running in your tag axle?
Old 10-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much. For those of you with a tag axle, have you weighed your coach and how much weight do you have on the front end? The last time I weighed mine I had 12,860lbs on the steer tires. What pressure are you running in your tag axle?

I'm running about 12,500 on the front and about 42 psi on the tag. Keep in mind my 10 batteries are behind my tag, fuel is close to the front axle and all tanks are just in front of the drive axle.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires