Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Roadmaster drag link

I have a 1994 Monaco Dynasty motorhome. The drag link has two grease boots one at each end. I am trying to either replace the boots or if necessary the entire draglink. Problem is no one, including Monaco, can tell me where I can fine either. It is a roadmaster chasis. I have talked to Universal Steering (Monaco referred me to them) and they say they need a Monaco part number. Monaco says they only have records from 1996 on. Any suggetstions?? Am also wondering how dangerous this might be? Thanks
WIDGET33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Try calling Source Engineering, they have a lot of experience on Roadmaster Chassis (several of their people used to work for Roadmaster) and they may be able to help you locate the manufacturer or the part.

Source Manufacturing LLC
P.O. Box 515

Elmira OR 97437
PHONE: (541) 935-0308
Old 03-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #3

Have you cleaned the drag link inself and looked for a part number stamped on it. I tried to get replacement boots for by previous 1995 MH and gave up. Try TRW at TRW Automotive - Automotive - TruckSteering
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My coach had the same problem. The grease boots were actually missing on the drag link ends and one tie rod end. When our local truck alignment shop was working on it, they changed the drag link ends and the tie rod end. They said that they were standard, everyday truck parts that they carry on the shelf all the time.

Don't know if that helps...

Jim Sanderson
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #5

Try Henderson Super Steer. hendersonslineup.com We were able to get one for a 1997 F53 Bounder. 888-898-3281
Marlin39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
Here's the skinny on drag links and my '01 Exec.
The shop that provides the state-required annual inspection had been rather routinely telling me for three years that "Everything's fine," and here's the bill. I had the feeling that they were not spending enough time in the pit under the coach to make that decision.
Sure enough! After I found a closer shop in Elliottsburg, PA, they flunked the inspection.
Good thing they did as the rear end of the drag link had a wobble at the attach point. The bad thing about this end is that there is no fitting; the drag link is crimped to the tie rod assembly.
The other end at the steering box has a standard fitting with a grease nipple. No problem there.
If the drag link falls off the tie rod the results will more than likely be disastrous. You will have no control over steering whatsoever.
Replacing the drag link is an issue. A Kentucky salvage yard quoted $1,000 plus shipping. (This from a wrecked Dynasty with front-end damage.)
Monaco in Coberg said they had one left and it would be $1,700 plus shipping.
I was led by another guy on this site to SourceRV. Jim Walls is the dude there and he quoted $795 plus shipping. He sends a graphic of your drag link requesting measurements at seven locations. I get the impression that they are making these to order.
In the meantime, if you own a Monaco, you might get a jack stand, raise the street side of the coach up, put the jack stand under the frame and crawl under.
Find the drag link (Mine's two inches think and 64" long, you can't miss it).
Get a partner to fire up the engine, and with a foot on the brake turn the steering wheel about three inches in both directions.
Meanwhile, put your hand on the rear of the drag link where it attaches to the tie rod. If you feel any movement between the drag link and the tie rod attach point, it's loose!
Replacing it is one of those situations where the labor shouldn't be too bad; it's the part that's expensive.
The shop in Elliotsburg is run by the Amish Hoover Brothers and it's got to be the nicest truck shop I've been in.
tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #7

Drag link boots:

Part Number: 90.13127
Tie Rod Dust Boot Set (Heavy Duty)
EnergySuspensionParts.com

I replaced mine with these.

Skip H.
96 Monaco Windsor
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #8

I was at a truck alignment shop in Tucson and the tech told me they had a Country Coach unit that needed a drag link. Cost was $2200.00!!!!!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Henderson's is stocking Monaco Roadmaster Drag links. Last time I was there I saw several on the shelves.

Heavier duty than stock at almost half the price Monaco charges.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #10

Repairing a drag link

The drag links in the later (post 1999?) coaches have a bend in them to allow a shorter turning radius without the tire hitting the drag link. The issue is that Monaco "permanently" fixed one tie rod end to the drag link to maintain the bend in the proper horizontal position. I guess their thinking was that a careless alignment shop might not get the bend positioned correctly.

On the later drag links I've seen, the tie rod end is inserted, then the wall of the threaded section of the drag link is swaged in several locations to prevent the tie rod end from being adjusted...or removed.

However, if you want to remove it badly enough, you can cut through the swaged sections to get it out. I have a "spare" drag link that I will do that to if mine ever needs service. The tie rod ends themselves are standard heavy-duty truck parts.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Henderson's bent drag link has replaceable tie rod ends on both ends. From what I've been told cost is 40% less than ordering from Monaco.