Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 02:15 AM   #1

Tag Axle won't raise

I went under the coach today to check the operation of the tag switch.
Key in on position, tag switch activated, automatic exhaust of air for tag bags but the brake cans which lift the tag don't move.

Only the red needle on the air gauge goes down.

After the initial air exhaust, I can hear air escaping from the rear tank to a leak somewhere. I can't identify the valve which exhausts the air from the tag bags.
As long as the tag switch is on, the air is leaking. Switch off and system stays up for several weeks.

Is it possible the MAC valve in the engine compartment is not working in order to send air to the brake cans for lifting? How to test?

The gauge seems to work okay for the pressure setting.

The 6-pack on the left operates the tag bags.
The 6-pack on the right operates the drive axle bags and height valves.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Iver.

I have a couple of pix of the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mac valve.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	506.0 KB
ID:	100964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Air Tank.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	634.4 KB
ID:	100965  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-Pack.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	633.8 KB
ID:	100966  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 10:18 PM   #2

Update....

Okay, I think I have it figured out. When I turn on the switch for the tag axle, the tag bags dump and the MAC valve is opened to supply air to the lift cans.
Then I get a constant leak. So I disconnected the MAC valve and the leaking stopped. So I need to see where the leak or leaks are in the lift can circuit.

I will check the diaphragms in the lift cans to see if they are the reason.

What is the best way to cage those cans? I can use the lift arms to pull out the rods and compress the springs or??

I pulled one tag wheel off and disconnected the lift can and noticed the arm is really stiff to move so I lubricated it and now it moves without too much effort. Probably because I really never used the tag lift and I doubt the previous owner did as well.

So anyway, once I rebuild the cans, I should have everything back to normal. (hopefully)
Iver.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:16 AM   #3

All fixed.... sort of!
Changed out both diaphragms in the lift cans.
Both lift arms needed lubrication. Very stiff/seized.

Now tag axle lifts when the switch is on. The only problem now is the MAC valve is working on and off. I had to tap on the valve to make the exhaust stop and tap on it again to get it to open. So I guess a replacement is in order.
Hopefully then, problem solved........
Iver.