Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

Trailing arms

Hi there, I know that this is old news for most, but for me just finding out this info, so would like some help. My MH is a 2005 and has the R4R chassis. Talked with source engineering and will be ordering the trailing arms. A couple of question, the first is: My brother and his son are both mechanics and have a shop, and feel confident they can do the work, having never done this before is there any precautions etc.? Would appreciate advice from someone that has actually changed theirs!

Secondly: Source told me unless I buy the additional kit , (air bags, shocks etc.) just put on the cheapest shocks I can get. Want to change the shocks also at the same time because they are shot, so what would be best, either a cheap one or should I go with a better one, thanks, Peter
jaminman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminman View Post
Hi there, I know that this is old news for most, but for me just finding out this info, so would like some help. My MH is a 2005 and has the R4R chassis. Talked with source engineering and will be ordering the trailing arms. A couple of question, the first is: My brother and his son are both mechanics and have a shop, and feel confident they can do the work, having never done this before is there any precautions etc.? Would appreciate advice from someone that has actually changed theirs!

Secondly: Source told me unless I buy the additional kit , (air bags, shocks etc.) just put on the cheapest shocks I can get. Want to change the shocks also at the same time because they are shot, so what would be best, either a cheap one or should I go with a better one, thanks, Peter

It's a bitter pill, but if you can afford the hit, go ahead with the Source ride enhancement kit. I have heard nothing but good reports about it. It sounds like, with mechanics in the family, you are ahead of the curve. I understand that the Source guys will provide tech assistance as you go.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #3

I recently made the switch on my 07 neptune to the ride enhancement kit. It made a huge difference in the ride. Anymore specific questions let me know I'll be glad to talk.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #4

I replaced my own trailing arms... They were not that hard. you will need to get a four wheel alignment done after (cost me $480 for the alignment)
Old 06-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManatee View Post
I replaced my own trailing arms... They were not that hard. you will need to get a four wheel alignment done after (cost me $480 for the alignment)
Jmanatee. Where did u get your alignment done at? I'm headed to Orlando in a couple weeks and am gonna go to josams for alignment and wheel bearing pack. Was hoping it didn't cost that much. BTW. I installed my ride enhancement kit myself but couldn't handle the trailing arms.

Chad
Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #6

Let me start by saying, prior to replacing the trailing arms, I had taken it to two alignment places, neither made it drive straight.

After replacing the trailing arms I knew I needed the alignment. I asked many places for recommendations, It was a smaller truck place in Springfield, MA, I was originally quoted as $250 but after work began, it jumped to $480, We argued over the new price, Needless to say I was PO'ed. He claimed it needed a lot more work then he originally thought.

He worked on it over 4 hours. It needed the rear end laser aligned, the front end needed toe, camber and caster adjustment. large shims, hydraulic bending of the front ibeam. I watched all that he did. He just about removed the front end and reinstalled it.

I will say this. 4 years later it still drives very straight. 2 finger driving.

Find someone that knows how to do an alignment its worth it.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManatee View Post
Let me start by saying, prior to replacing the trailing arms, I had taken it to two alignment places, neither made it drive straight.

After replacing the trailing arms I knew I needed the alignment. I asked many places for recommendations, It was a smaller truck place in Springfield, MA, I was originally quoted as $250 but after work began, it jumped to $480, We argued over the new price, Needless to say I was PO'ed. He claimed it needed a lot more work then he originally thought.

He worked on it over 4 hours. It needed the rear end laser aligned, the front end needed toe, camber and caster adjustment. large shims, hydraulic bending of the front ibeam. I watched all that he did. He just about removed the front end and reinstalled it.

I will say this. 4 years later it still drives very straight. 2 finger driving.

Find someone that knows how to do an alignment its worth it.
That is what I am planning for at josams. I have heard from many they are the best on roadmaster chassis. I was just hoping it would not break the bank. I am gonna call in the morning for an appointment and will ask for price. Glad you are still driving well.

Chad
Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #8

I was told by one shop that does this that they do not align after. They say it is not required? My brother and his son are both mechanics and I am pretty handy, any areas of concern that we need to be aware of? 400lb torque right? We plan to hoist up enough to get at it, remove one tire and then the trailing arm, then move on to the other side. Was planning on marking the hubs also so we know the alignment stays the same. Will put new shocks on also. The one shop said at least 8 hours but for the life of me I can not see why so long? Any further input would be appreciated.
jaminman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminman View Post
I was told by one shop that does this that they do not align after. They say it is not required? My brother and his son are both mechanics and I am pretty handy, any areas of concern that we need to be aware of? 400lb torque right? We plan to hoist up enough to get at it, remove one tire and then the trailing arm, then move on to the other side. Was planning on marking the hubs also so we know the alignment stays the same. Will put new shocks on also. The one shop said at least 8 hours but for the life of me I can not see why so long? Any further input would be appreciated.
The shop that installed mine did not do an alignment afterwards. I didn't even know you could until recently. Hence why I am wanting to have it checked in Orlando soon. Mine took an 8 hour day to install with 2 guys working on it. That's what they charged me for. I was not right on top of them while working but I could see them from a short distance and every time I looked they were working diligently. This time also included a test drive.

Chad
Old 06-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #10

I agree with the 8 hrs. Everything is big, heavy and requires lots of torque, this takes time.

As for alignment.... I had read (on multiple forums) that manufacturers do not align the chassis after the build is done. I already wanted and had tried to get an alignment. I also read (on multiple forums) you should get an alignment after getting the trailing arms replaced.

This is why I sought an alignment again after the replacement. I cant remember feeling a difference from before replacement to after replacement (before alignment).

but I can say there was a huge difference after the final alignment.

My alignment was worth every penny.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #11

Jaminman
Absolutely go with the Source Ride Enhancement Kit if at all possible. Between trailing arms, REK, Josams alignment w/four corner weighing revealing a 2700 lb heavier rear side, we got our Cayman tamed from 'proposing' and tracking straight and true. Then increased the tire size from 255/70R OEM Goodyears to 295/75R Bridgestones allowing less psi and MUCH smoother ride that is now also safer. Used Dynabeads balancing Tire Balancing Products OEM GYs were at max weight due to heavy rear side and max psi, riding like solid rubber tires. Got speedometer re-calibrated to larger diameter tire revolutions per mile and word from Allison that 3.9" tire diameter change would not necessitate any tranny reset. All good now.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #12

Jaminman
Dern fat fingers--I meant the REK cured our Cayman of its tendency to 'porpoise' or set up a bouncing up and down often violently in front.