Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know of a larger size replacement "Diesel Truck Tire" that I can replace all my Goodyear 670RV tires with. My current RV Tire size is 275/70 22.5. Since I really don't want to carry a (dead weight) spare tire, I wanted to be able to replace any possible RV flat/blow-outs at the hundreds of Diesel Truck Repair Centers dotted along the Interstate highways instead of waiting around 3 or four days for a Wrecker to locate and bring me one or two 670RV tires. Builders act like we won't drive these coaches anywhere. DocUSAF
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know of a larger size replacement "Diesel Truck Tire" that I can replace all my Goodyear 670RV tires with. My current RV Tire size is 275/70 22.5. Since I really don't want to carry a (dead weight) spare tire, I wanted to be able to replace any possible RV flat/blow-outs at the hundreds of Diesel Truck Repair Centers dotted along the Interstate highways instead of waiting around 3 or four days for a Wrecker to locate and bring me one or two 670RV tires. Builders act like we won't drive these coaches anywhere. DocUSAF
Old 07-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #3

i replaced my 275/70/22.5 goodyears with 275/80/22.5 xze michelins. the tires are aprox. 2 inches taller, a little more sidewall for a much smoother ride and available at most truck tire stores. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Doc. You might also look at the Bridgestone R-280's. Pretty popular with the truckers and some of the RV'ers are moving to them as well. Don't know about the ride quality though. Jim's remark about the ride quality of the Michelin XZE's being much smoother than the Goodyears (which ride like bricks) might be too hard to resist.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, I was wondering why regardless of what I did, my Goodyear tires felt like riding on cheap bricks. Ok so either the Michelin 275/80/22.5 or Bridgestone R-280's. Will either of the larger tire replacements fit without causing rubbing against the wheel wells or bottom out against the my 2006 roadmaster RRR frame. An Rv friend had a blowout and waited almost 5 days for a replacement. He mentioned that the 24 hours a day open diesel and tire repair shop, had plenty of replacements tires on hand, just nothing that he needed for his RV. Beaverjim/Sixpack98, do either of you carry a spare tire. DocUSAF
Old 07-14-2008, 01:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... Will either of the larger tire replacements fit without causing rubbing against the wheel wells or bottom out against the my 2006 roadmaster RRR frame..... DocUSAF </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doc,

I can tell you that I have stock tires on my 2006 Diplomat and have had trouble backing up hill while turning hard right. This is necessary to get into my driveway from the subdivision street. Even with the ride height set correct the tires will rub against the bottom edge of the fiberglass body. I have learned not to turn so sharp and jockey back and forth to avoid this. I guess there will be some fiberglass repair work in my future at Buddy Gregg's new body shop. Just a warning about going to a taller tire.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #7

when i decided to go to the larger tires i did contact monaco first for thier blessing. in our case the only time the front tires have rubbed was in a tight turn and a bump at the same time!
but i would sure do a little research/measurements first. good luck. jim.
ps. don't forget about koni fsd shocks to help the ride problem.
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know if Monaco made larger tire changes to the '08 or '09 models. At the '07 Rally in Pomona,Cal., I saw larger tires on Monaco RV's. Think it was on the exact same roadmaster railing system as the '06 coaches. With all the truck/tire repair shops around, we're just trying to get this tire size upgrade done smarter. We see blown tire treads all up and down the interstates, but the truckers quickly replace a blown tire and "just keep on trucking". DocUSAF
Old 07-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #9

DocUSAF,
I just had an alignment done on the front tires and was looking at replacement options.
The local dealer recommended the Michelin tire XZE2+,size 275/70R22.5. Its a load range J which is up from H on my current G670 tires of the same size. He said he has had good reports of them riding with a much softer ride because not as much air is required. I think when the time comes next year I will replace all six with these. They are a widely available tire at truck centers. Around here they go for 460.00 a tire. Good Luck with your decision.
Letsgoagain
Old 07-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #10

I just put 6 of the Michelin XZA2 Energy 275/70R/22.5 on my HR 40'. Put them on a week ago Monday and left for a 1600 mile trip. Just got back. All I can say is that I am happy with the choice. They have a very soft ride and great tracking. They are supposed to generate energy as you travel and help you roll along. I kept telling my wife that this rig seems to want to roll.......Fuel mileage seemed to be better by a tenth or two. But that is always hard too determine.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your inputs. I now have several inputs that will be very helpful to getting new/upgraded tires that also can be replaced along Interstate Truck Stops. Of course now that Monaco has joined into a joint verture w/Internation Truck for both railing frame chassis and engines, who knows what will be next... I don't think the joint verture will result it building a better unit than our RoadMasters, no-way/no-how, Roadmaster is the best ever! Monaco must really be trying to cut cost. ...End of thread Doc USAF
Old 07-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They are supposed to generate energy as you travel and help you roll along. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HUH? Does that mean that if I get enough of them, I can turn off my engine??
Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 AM   #13

I suppose so, how many axles can you fit under your rig???
Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club

We dont race on Elvis's Birthday.
Host, request this message thread be closed at this point.. Thanks to everyone for your inputs regarding my inital message subject, UpGrade for Goodyear 670RV Tires.. DocUSAF