Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Club confusion

Hi we just purchased our first MH and I have been investigating some clubs to join. I own a Monaco coach and I went to their site and found all their owner clubs. Most of those clubs require FMCA memberships to join. Is it beneficial to double up on clubs? Also anyone know of any good clubs in Illinois? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Club confusion

FMCA and Good Sam also have localized chapters / sub groups. Such FMCA 4 Wheelers (off roading group), a Good Sam chapter of Ham Radio operators, etc. Often folks of similar interests coupled with RV'ing. Sometimes just folks that get together regularly to have someone to enjoy RV'ing with.

We are members of both Good Sam and FMCA due to participation in such groups/chapters.

FMCA and Good Sam web sites will have listings and contacts for such groups/chapters.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #3

We are lifetime members of Good Sam and also belong to a local chapter of another national club. If you are looking for comraderie, travelling buddies, experienced and knowledgeable RVers, family oriented people, trouble shooting tips, "been there-done that" kind of thing, it is my feeling that a club provides that and more.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
Hi we just purchased our first MH and I have been investigating some clubs to join. I own a Monaco coach and I went to their site and found all their owner clubs. Most of those clubs require FMCA memberships to join. Is it beneficial to double up on clubs? Also anyone know of any good clubs in Illinois? Thanks.
You probably won't beleive me but I know for sure this. FMA= Fleetwood Motorhome Association will welcome you. ARG has bought Monaco along with several others, Beaver, Trek and Safari. You join, attend a National Rally, download the service request and fill it out with two things that need attention and they give you a appointment at the Rally for FREE LABOR and if needed discount parts. The Tecks come from Decatur,In at the factory.
We're signed up for the Rally next week in Tampa at Lazy Days for a fresh water pump to be installed by Fleetwood tecks and I pay for the pump only,no labor. Factory support is top notch.
We're a member of FMCA, and Good Sam Lifetime member which are also great . PM me for details if needed. muffin
Old 03-31-2016, 08:13 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which club

FMCA is the parent organization of hundreds of RV clubs across the nation. Family Motor Coach Association is for motor driven RV's, not towables.

Good Sam is also parent to many RV clubs across the nation and is open to any type of RV.

There are benefits to belonging to one, or both. Discounts at RV parks, RV repair stations, emergency road service, etc.

With your FMCA membership you get FMCAssist. That is insurance that will provide emergency transprtation to an emergency location,

Good Sam offers this program, but at additional cost to membership.

I am a member of FMCa and a LIFE Member of Good Sam.

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are Charter Good Sam Life Members and FMCA members. Joined a local GS club a few years ago and enjoyed a few camp outs. Then they went to mid week camp outs, and, since we both worked and had two grandkids living with us who were in school it became impossible to go anymore.
Have been to several GS and FMCA rallies. Actually had more fun at the GS rallies.
And the FMCA medical Assist program is worth the cost of membership alone!
One "problem" with FMCA membership is the requirement that your RV allow passage from the driving position to the back while standing. But you can go to a rally as a visitor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We did join GS at the Chicago RV show (got the "show" deal!) We are looking into joining a GS club. Are brand specific clubs worthwhile? DH and I would like to get more involved in MH lifestyle!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #8

"One "problem" with FMCA membership is the requirement that your RV allow passage from the driving position to the back while standing."

The true requirements:

Membership in FMCA is contingent on ownership of a qualifying motor coach: a Type/Class A, B or C motorhome, or a bus conversion, that contains all of the conveniences of home (including cooking, sleeping and permanent sanitary facilities).

There is no requirement with the standing up stuff
Old 03-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'm assuming the "standing up" thing would disallow the owners of 5'rs to join FMCA.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you're very tall does crouched over count as standing up?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
I'm assuming the "standing up" thing would disallow the owners of 5'rs to join FMCA.
At the present time, FMCA is for powered coaches only, no towables. Towables are not restricted from attending any of the FMCA conventions or area rallies. There have been a number of towables that come and then drive off in a new motorhome!

Now, if at any time, the owner of a towable owned a motorhome and belonged to FMCA, they are still eligible to be a member of FMCA with all benefits excluding holding an office