Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #15

I don't think this is what anyone wanted. We have one single thread which will end up being thousands of comments long and impossible to follow a specific topic. Why not a proper Forum so we can have multiple threads?
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I don't think this is what anyone wanted. We have one single thread which will end up being thousands of comments long and impossible to follow a specific topic. Why not a proper Forum so we can have multiple threads?
Have you been to the disabled rv'ers group ? There are multiple threads there and new ones can be started as well. We are setting things up where members will be able to tag other threads that are applicable to the group.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
This is not the original thread. It is a new one I started. Granted the way to get here is not what we wanted, we will have to deal with it. Until we get a forum of our own this is better than searching all over the site.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #18

Nor'easters Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Send a message via Yahoo to MdMDesigns Send a message via Skype™ to MdMDesigns
I am pleased there is a group for RVers who are disabled. I am not quite disabled but am disabled. Ok, I am Deaf. This section will be really be helpful for me to design new RVs that are Disabled-friendly. For now for wheelchairs, they do have lift ramps or motorized elevator in van conversions (basic one, not caravan types). That is one stepback already because most of the time they never talked about accessory for people with disabilities to be able to purchase as an add on when they are at the RV dealers. I never noticed that and thank you for this feedback. We need to push for suppliers that make supplies for Disabled.

For now, there IS something that can work well for people who need to use wheelchairs. The Toy Haulers works well for people with wheelchairs and with machinery such as oxygen machine or allergy filteration or even sleep apena machine.. they take up spaces. So for now, Toy Haulers are best suited. Open up in the back and they can get in and out easily with ramp and spacious empty space that are actually designed for motorsports (motorcycles, snowmobiles, atvs/atcs, dune buggies, etc.)

Would this be helpful for those with wheelchairs by buying a Toy Hauler?

I know there is a problem when buying a MOTORHOME. Doors are usually narrow, steep steps, lack of good rails that are more disabled-friendly. Might have to install more rails. Since metro buses have wheelchair accessiblity elevators, it might work for large motorcoaches and bus conversions (Greyhound bus types), then it can work. Doors are wider than Class A and C.

The slideouts are really excellent for those on wheelchairs however, choices are limited due to doors.

For other people with Disabilities who can walk, they need rails to walk. Again, should really be responsiblity by the Dealers the same way with the lift ramp. I am not an experise in ADA law (not a lawyer, I am a designer) when it comes to purchasing. I can be creative on designing RVs with accessiblities. This is something I need to get back to the drawing boards to challenge this need. I believe dealers have to provide because I know that car dealerships DO ask if they need any accessiblities. I used to be in automobile sales so I know. If your dealer does not provide the needs, then go to another dealer. Or talk with the higher up in the management or even the manufacturer of the RV you desire to purchase from. They can help you with you need to add on. I noticed in brochures I collect, they do not mention anything about Disabitliies. They should. They should be helping you. Hopes this help. If not, then go through proper organizations for Disablities such as Independent Living, UCP, Enable, and even vocational rehabitation. All listed in yellow pages (VR is under state government).
MdMDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Have you been to the disabled rv'ers group ? There are multiple threads there and new ones can be started as well. We are setting things up where members will be able to tag other threads that are applicable to the group.
Cliff
The problem with the above statement is that it is not a visible group. If you don't know about groups it can be hard to find. I for one would like to see a sub forum in the Clubs & Associations and I'm sure so would others.
Home base Phoenix Az
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #20

It's like a secret club that only members have been given the code to enter.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma
It's like a secret club that only members have been given the code to enter.
We have a special handshake too. But like you said - it's a secret.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is there anyway to get to that group if you only used Jo pad or android?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would think that if you can get to the web site you can get to the group.
Right now I'm using an HP touch pad. It never made it past the initial release but I can get here.
Follow Clifftall's instructions a few posts above.
Good Luck, and please let us know how you make out.
Home base Phoenix Az
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #24

Thank you for the help guys. Now I know the way here.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Thank you for the help guys. Now I know the way here.

Don
Pass the road map around until we can get a better route.
Home base Phoenix Az
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #26

Glad to have this group..........

Here is some information and photos of our wheelchair accessible rig. We ordered it through a Newmar dealer. It was one of only three that was made on an Allstar Spartan chassis by Newmar before the downturn in 2008/2009. It was discontinued until further notice. It is a mid-engine diesel pusher, Cummins 400HP ISL, Allison 3000 transmission. We were lucky to have bought one of the last Allstar chassis where this accessibility option could be a part of the design. On the inside, you can do a 360 turn in the bathroom, transfer to a fold-down bench in the shower, and fit a wheelchair under the lavatory. Grab bars are where you need them. One of the best features is when the slide-outs are in, my wife can go from the front to the bedroom in her wheelchair without touching a wall or anything else.

There are some photos of the inside on a website. We were featured in one of the journal entries of Could RV Living Be Your Dream? Let's Find Out!! when we visited one of their rallies to get our motorhome weighed on the four corners. When you click on the link below, scroll down quite a ways to see an entry made on Saturday, April 21, 2012. Howard and Linda are great people and took the time to understand our motorhome set-up and photograph some of the features.

RV-Dreams Journal: April 2012 posts

The wheelchair accessible unit now being made by Newmar is a Canyon Star with a little bit different lift but the accessibility is very similar once inside. We were very pleased to see that Newmar has a continued interest in trying to serve the disabled or mobility challenged community. When we were at the factory we met Mr. Mahlon Miller (a truly wonderful gentleman) and encouraged him to consider continuing to make this type of motorhome even though, at that time, the Allstar chassis had been discontinued. He had his assistant take notes of our comments. Well, about a year or so later the Canyon Star Wheelchair Accessible unit came rolling off the line.

As you can see, the entry/exit on ours is very simple, yet an engineering accomplishment. The sides of the hydraulic lift fold up/down and the entire Braun UVL unit stows under the door entrance at the push of a button.

For those interested I would highly recommend Jon Steinbring of Steinbring Motorcoaches in Garfield, MN. He has one of the Canyon Star units there and you can see all the features on his website. He was great to deal with and genuinely happy for us. It is a long story as to how we got hooked up with a Minnesota dealer when we are in South Texas.

New Newmar Canyon Star for sale in Garfield MN | 2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911 Handicap Accessible Class A For Sale from Steinbring Motorcoach in Garfield Minnesota

Here are a few of photos of ours.

Travel On..........Wheels are rollin'!!

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVDelivery102109 074.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	33134   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVDelivery102109 075.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	33135  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CanyonTripSedonaDon 011.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	33136  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Great to have you on board. Great looking unit. Post tips and pictures often.
Home base Phoenix Az
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #28

Where are all of the other threads that have been mentioned? The only one I see is this one started by Judy.

This is getting to be too much trouble to try to figure out.

Don

Tags
ada, chair lift, disability, disabled, handicapped, no limits, wheelchair