RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #1

Passport America or ?

I'm new to the RV world. I've heard Passport America is a good club, but I find only 4 references to them here. I'm looking for a discount membership club with the most parks being members. The states that I know we'll be traveling this year are Missouri, Illinois and possibly Florida. MO and FL could be long-term, I.E. weeks to months whereas IL would be only a few nights at a time, jumping around the state. We're self-employed contractors, so saving money is a top issue... as well as good WiFi

SatWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Passport America readily pays for itself in just a couple three nights, so is easily justified. Check their web site for a map showing participating CG's in your target areas.

Thousand Trails has programs that may be of interest if there are CGs in your target area that meet your needs/desires.

We are members of both and use them whenever possible.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree that Passport America will pay for itself after two or three nights stay. Just be aware that some have restrictions as to when they will honor the discounted rate. For example some are only good on certain days of the week (no weekends), and some are only good during certain times of the year.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I agree that Passport America will pay for itself after two or three nights stay. Just be aware that some have restrictions as to when they will honor the discounted rate. For example some are only good on certain days of the week (no weekends), and some are only good during certain times of the year.
Yeah, I noticed that. Still, even the full rate prices are better then motels. I assume some might offer long-term rates better then the discounted rates? How about Thousand Trails, same issues with restrictions?
Old 04-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #5

I just looked up Thousand Trails and while FL looks pretty loaded, they have none in MO and only a couple in IL. So I'll have to scratch them.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #6

At most RV parks, the Passport America (PA) discount rate is only for the daily rate and is limited to weekdays. Weekends and holidays are excluded and the full price is charged. Weekly and monthly rates are already discounted from the daily rate and are less than the PA daly rate. The same is true for Good Sam (GS) discount. The weekly and monthly rate are less than the GS daily discounted rate. Other than membership parks like Thousand Trails you are better paying the weekly or monthly rate offered to everyone.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #7

Thanks TXTiger. Interesting that PA has an advert for Good Sam on their web site. Looks like we'll join both.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatWorld View Post
I'm new to the RV world. I've heard Passport America is a good club, but I find only 4 references to them here. I'm looking for a discount membership club with the most parks being members. The states that I know we'll be traveling this year are Missouri, Illinois and possibly Florida. MO and FL could be long-term, I.E. weeks to months whereas IL would be only a few nights at a time, jumping around the state. We're self-employed contractors, so saving money is a top issue... as well as good WiFi
If you're over 62 get the SeniorCard for 50% at COEs and just about everything but state parks. It's $10 paid once only. You have it for life. Passport America PPA has close to 2000 CG spread out all over the country. TT has less than half that and are clustered on the coasts. Make sure you look at a map or list of where the CGs are before deciding on any of them. We have GoodSam which is only 10% off but have it because we shop at Camping World.

And never believe the salespeople for any of these memberships. Read the find print. Know what you're getting into.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatWorld View Post
I just looked up Thousand Trails and while FL looks pretty loaded, they have none in MO and only a couple in IL. So I'll have to scratch them.
Look into those in FL as people were having trouble booking last winter. Too many people and not enough campsites. You also have to have reservations in the non-TT parks for the weeks you have to be out of the TT system. There's where you money will go as many FL parks are $300 to $400 in winter for just a week.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
If you're over 62 get the SeniorCard for 50% at COEs and just about everything but state parks. It's $10 paid once only. You have it for life. Passport America PPA has close to 2000 CG spread out all over the country. TT has less than half that and are clustered on the coasts. Make sure you look at a map or list of where the CGs are before deciding on any of them. We have GoodSam which is only 10% off but have it because we shop at Camping World.

And never believe the salespeople for any of these memberships. Read the find print. Know what you're getting into.
Question about your post: you state if you're over 62 get the Senior card for 50% at COE's. What does COE stand for?
eainaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on PA.
Hundreds of post here on irv2

http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9380287
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:30 PM   #12

Does 1,000 Trails still limit member stay in their parks to 2 weeks before having to move to another one of their parks? Also what are membership costs these days?

Thanks

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #13

Corps of Engineers