Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #29

Thanks for those amazing stories, Mr Mike!! For you round motorheads who live in Oregon, there will be lots of good sounds in the skies, the Collings planes are flying into Aurora, Oregon today, June 10th with a B-17, B-24 and a P-51 (AFAIK). Then on the 13th the B-17 Alliance group will be hosting "Warbirds Over the West" featuring flights in a B-25 at Mc Nary Field (Salem Airport). It's the grand opening of their new Lacey Lady B-17 museum. There will be some other planes and one of the featured speakers, a WWII veteran WAVE, will be arriving in style in a Boeing Stearman! Great time to be in Oregon.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #30

I'm sure I'm far younger than anyone on this thread. My experience is limited to working on small ga Cessna, piper and beechcraft. But ever since I can remember I have been going to the airshows at Oshkosh and its there where I feel in love with the old WWII fighters and bombers. The round sounds are the most unforgettable. I don't even have to see the aircraft to ID it. Its up there where my love of aircraft grew into getting my a&p and hope to one day get my pilots license. Can't get enough of the old birds, have to go back every year to see and hear them.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:18 PM   #31

Having had my first flight and first flight lesson in aDC-3 nothing smells or sounds as good as a round motor starting up. Have 40 hrs in a PBY and a couple in a Beech 18. Overhauled a shaky Jake in A&P school and got an old B-25 running after a 5 year sit for my runable project in A&P school. It had electric inertia starters and R-2600s I think! I may be ( i really think I am) the only living person to have hand propped a Fleetwing Seabird with a pylon mounted R-985. Google it up to see what it looks like. It's a flying boat. Used to watch United Airlines (in the late 60s) start the DC-6 up in the morning at LAX while I was working on 707s and such. Blue smoke, a hearty clatter and then the roar. As a young kid in the mid 50s we had the dc-6s and Connies and such flying over our house at night after leaving Burbank Airport in LA. Can't ever forget the sound. Saw the red and white Super Corsair perform at an air show many years ago, that big 4360 was just loafing along. I have a 600 page book on the development of the 4360 and another one on the R-2800. Only a round motor nut would even want to read them and I did! Round motors rule!
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:19 AM   #32

I was able to see #57 fly just last year at the Oshkosh airshow. I'm hoping it will be back. The only Goodyear super corsair left flying is a wonderful sound!!! Been a long while since I've seen a Connie too, who knows what will show up?
Old 07-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #33

If you want it to rain, just have an Air Show. For the second time this summer it decided to rain on the show weekend. They did get some air time in between showers with a low show, due to cloud cover. The B-25 was up with a P-47, Spitfire and T-6. My favorite was a F-86 and Mig 19 flying wing to wing. We had several of our planes their also. We taxied the 247D over for display. We haven't received our FAA flight certificate yet so we couldn't fly it yet.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #34

Just got back from airventure 2015, what a wonderful mix of new, old and one of a kind. Thankfully mother nature was good to us. Only rain was before we even got up there. Can't wait till next year!
Old 08-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #35

The Paint Contractors have been here all week sanding the 727 getting it ready for paint and should start painting it next week. Then it's over to ATS shop for the engine instillation and start up. They are also going to change out the Horizontal Stabilizer and Jack Screw. Things that take FAA Licenses and A&P mechanics to sigh it off. After that it's time to "Kick the Tires and Light the Fires" and see if it Flies!
Old 08-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #36

Sounds like I'd be in heaven there!
Old 08-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #37

Worked on these guy's , the EA-6B Prowler for about 15 years through four squadron and a number of ships. With all apologys to you round engine guys
gotta tell ya, unless you been up on "the Cats" of a carrier at night, standing next to a pair of J-52-P408 turbines cranked up to full military power, you don't know nothin' about power and noise. With ear plugs and "mickey mouse" helmet and radio, it'll rattle your teeth right outta your skull. :-)

https://vimeo.com/60843034

mr mike
mr mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #38

We got our engines today from Fed Ex engine shop in S. Ca. We got six of them, four complete from nose to tail and two without the thrust reversers. All engines are current with all paperwork. Now we need to pick the best three for our airplane and make sure all the hook ups are complete and correct.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #39

Some new pictures for the shop. The picture of our engines for the 727 include three for the plane (in the background on transportation carts and two for parts on the foreground. The Super Corsair is one of four built at the end of WWII to late to see action and have the 36 cylinder engine used in the B29's in it as an experiment. Ours is one of two that are flyable but are a handful as the engine produces so much torque that the plane tries to rotate around the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0983.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	104299   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0977.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	104300  

Name:	SAM_0976.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	104301   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0971.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	104302  

Old 10-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #40

Nothing Ever Goes According To Plan. Update.. We were suppose to get a Good Ready to Install #1 #2 & #3 Engine and two for parts engines. What we Got was Three #2 running engines and two #1 for parts engines. The Base engine is a Pratt & Whitney JT8D-15 But from the hot box back each engine is configured differently along with mounts, controls, fuel & oil lines, ducts and other minor items. We spent all of last week and will spend this week swapping everything around to get what we need. BUT the price was right.. Some Pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	110457   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	110458  

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	110459  
Old 10-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #41

That 727 will be cool. Worked 5 years on them in the late 60s as a mech, never had the cookie cutter exhaust. I later flew -7,-9,-15 and -17R 72s for Eastern and a private owner. Even repo'd one once. Flying .78-.80 Mach at 9000# fuel flow/hr but you could whip it to .88 Mach at 12,000#/hr GREAT airplane to fly and work on.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #42

Anyone near Dayton, Oh should be sure to go to the National Air Force Museum. on the SW side of Wright Patterson AFB (outside the gates). Admission to the museum is free, donations accepted. Imax theater, gift shop, cafeteria. They are now completing the 4th hanger to house the XB-70 Valkyari. It sat outside the entrance for many years and is now restored and will be under roof. It will take 2-3 days to see all the exhibited aircraft and look at the Air force history. I know 2 pilots of aircraft on display there. One is a F-82 "twin mustang" named "Betty Jo" that was flown by Col Bob Thacker (a captain at that time) for a world speed record. I met Col Thacker and traveled with him from Omaha to a RC glider meet in Chicago back in the early 70's. The other aircraft is the B-36 which is in the first built hanger. The hanger was built around the B-36. I met the pilot that flew that aircraft to the museum for the last flight ever made by a B-36. He was plant manager of a horse trailer manufacturer in Gallatin, TN. The museum actually owns aircraft on display all over the US, not just the ones in Dayton. They usually do not allow anyone one in the restoration area except for special events.
National Museum of the USAF Funded by private donations, not by taxes.
A must see for anyone that likes airplanes. My son worked at the British Air Museum doing restorations on aircraft there. He did it in his off time when he was stationed at Mildenhall AFB in England. He is now retired after 30years in the AF as a Avionics tech and A&P mechanic.