Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #43

It's some kind of Bug. You start out working on Aircraft for a Job, Work up the ladder and Make a good living at it, And then retire!!. So what do you do next?? I work on them now For Donuts!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #44

In some ways I regret moving from Everett to Anacortes. So much good airplane stuff around there.

I put 29 years in at the Kite Factory before taking early retirement. I got tired of all the trans-Atlantic flights to go visit customers in the Islamic world. One of my last trips was Seattle-Tokyo-Brunei (3-day visit with Royal Brunei Airlines) then Brunei-Bangkok-Riyadh-Jeddah for 5 days of meetings with Saudi Royal Flight then back to Seattle via London.

After the merger with McDonnell-Douglas, Finance discontinued Business Class on long trips. No way was I going to ride in the back of the bus on a 23-hour, two airplane trip to the Middle East, then go straight into meetings with the customer before checking into the hotel.

Exit stage right!
Old 11-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #45

What an absolutely wonderful thread, and who would have thought something like this would be on a RV forum. I spent 4 years in the Navy, 1958-1962. Went to school at Memphis on 3350/AD, 2 years at McGuire AFB with VR-6 and C-118s (DC-6), and the rest with VS-39 (S2F) between Quonset Point and the Essex. This thread has brought back a lot of old memories, thanks very much to the posters.

After leaving the Navy I had several non-aviation related jobs eventually retiring in 1994 as a forester for BLM in Oregon, but aviation was always a part of my life. We frequently attended Oshkosh and my favorite last year was the F-22, P-38, and P-51 formation flights. Along with radials I also love to hear a Merlin doing it's thing. One of my favorite Oshkosh memories is from right after the Cold War when one of Russia's huge Antonov transports landed and taxied past with Patty Wagstaff waving an American flag out of the left cockpit window.

Along with Oshkosh we've also been to many museums around the country, but not to Boeing. That will have to be corrected sometime soon, thanks for the info. about it. We also travel to Brookings often so now I know about something new there for me to visit.

I got my private license in 1978, then an A&P in about 1996 after retiring and thought I would like to restore old Pipers, Champs, Taylorcrafts, etc. Then I learned about liability from a flying friend who had just settled a lawsuit where he was found to be not liable, but still cost $30,000 in non-recoverable fees. I decided I didn't need that at this point in my life and moved on to other things. I still love aviation, but am not as active anymore.

Thanks again for the thread!

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #46

Steve:

Don't miss any of the Museums! I've heard that the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville is having cash-flow problems and may have to close. The Seattle Museum of Flight at Boeing Field is still going strong and Richard has pointed out what's in Everett. The Future of Flight there is where tours of the Everett Boeing plant start out.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #47

According to someone I know "on the inside", Evergreen's financial situation is stable for now. The good news is that many of the planes that have been sold will be flying again. I am looking forward to seeing the B-17 flying again with the Collings Foundation, along with several other warbirds they purchased for their fleet. And, of course, the Spruce Goose isn't likely to be moved any time soon and the waterpark appears to be doing OK.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #48

Thanks for the information about museums. We've been to the Evergreen museum several times, and others across the country including the AF museum at Dayton and A&S at D.C.

We'll probably get to the museums on up North sometime in '16, now that I know more about them. We've driven by there many times.

Thanks again.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #49

If you get a chance, Castle Air Museum in Atwater, CA is worth seeing. They have some rare planes, B-36, Avro Vulcan, SR-71 and lots more. They have an RV park at the museum too, nothing fancy but it makes the museum viewing handy.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #50

What a great thread! If you are ever in Urbana, Ohio be sure to stop in at Grimes Field and the Champaign Aviation Museum. It is a great little museum and they are rebuilding a B-17. Champaign Aviation Museum, Home of the B-17 Warbird Restoration

There is a great diner on the field where you can get your $100 hamburger(for those who fly in).
Berkshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #51

Just got a link to a web site set up to follow 727 #0001's final restoration work to it's 1st Flight in more that 30 years.
http://www.rbogash.com/727/Refurb/Refurb_Status.html
Old 01-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #52

My flying

Hello pilots, like these pictures posted. I fly an aircraft also but as in "ultralight trike".

Antares trike, Rotax engine 503, 3 blade propeller, 2-seater, Northwing wing with 1040 lbs loading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stamp.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	117109  
Deafpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #53

The old girl is starting to come to life! Hydraulics are up and running along with the electrical system, fuel system is close. The link in my last post has daily updates on the latest progress. The airplane is in a ATS (Aircraft Technical Services) hanger to complete the work we are not set up to do OR not allowed to do by the FAA. (engine instillation & testing/certifying, final rigging and buy off of all control surfaces, such as flaps, rudder, leading edges, ailerons.) FAA buy off flight Instrumentation, navigation lights and support systems. This is where the cost of Restoring an Aircraft to fly gets expensive compared to Restoring for static (Non Flight) display. Please take a look at the Progress Link, you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #54

727 Serial # 0001 is now complete and ready for flight!!!
Old 02-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #55
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's good to hear, thank you for the update.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpony56hd View Post
727 Serial # 0001 is now complete and ready for flight!!!

According to flight aware it's now been flown to BFI!

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX