Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
fewer calories in, while burning more each day.
Calories dont matter as much as carbs do. Drastically reduce carbs, and you can eat whatever else you want and still lose weight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #16

Eat anything you want so long as you get outside and are active.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Calories dont matter as much as carbs do. Drastically reduce carbs, and you can eat whatever else you want and still lose weight.
I totally agree. I started low carbs not to really lose weight but to get my blood sugar levels under control. When I got to the point of taking both metformin and glipizide and my blood sugar levels were still above 300, I knew it was time to do something.

So I went low carb, within 6 months cut out the glipizide, then within the year stopped the metformin. I have been off all diabetic medication for the last 9 months, last A1C was 5.2.

I've also lost 70+ pounds. The weight loss is a nice side effect, I really wanted to get the blood sugar levels down and feel better. That I accomplished. Nothing else worked for me, plus I love real butter, heavy cream in my coffee, and meat. It's a win, win!
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I do not diet! I made a life style change. I read labels and pay attention to serving size. Paying attention to the total sugar and total carbs. Can eat anything I want using this. Went from 297 # to 180#. I had a dietician explained to me how to do this.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #19

CICO (calories in, calories out) is what has worked for me. I have lost 140 pounds simply using My Fitness Pal app and walking a lot. I don't count carbs or any other macro, although I do try to balance them. Counting calories automatically keeps my carbs in check as they tend to be calorie dense. I have tried every "diet" under the sun for over a 40 year period, but not until I decided to ditch dieting and change my lifestyle did I see results.

My advice to everyone is to do what works for you, but whatever you do it needs to become your long term lifestyle. If you cannot do it for life you are probably setting yourself up for failure as once you "stop" it can go back on very quickly. I still have 20 pounds to go, but my DH has been at maintenance for two years following the same lifestyle (he was my inspiration). We log everything we eat. Some days we may be over our goal calories, but we still log it and move on, knowing that a normal lifestyle does has special occasions. As long as our weekly calories even out we do not worry about it. We do this whether we are at home, work, play or traveling. I even carry a purse size travel scale with me and weigh my food whenever possible for accurate tracking. Fitting weight loss &/or maintenance into our lifestyle is possible, but persistence is the key to success!
SunnyAZgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #20

Diets? Nope, but I did find something that worked great for me better than a diet. A program called Naturally Slim. I lose 30 lbs in 10 weeks, and still eat hamburgers n French Fries. No counting calories!
Old 07-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
+2 on my fitness pal. I use it for diet and exercise tracking - just trying to stabilize my health
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have lost 180 lbs. Now at goal of 195 lbs. and BMI under 30. 14 months to lose it. Diet and exercise, no surgeries. At goal weight last October. Now engaged in an even bigger challenge, learning how to maintain.

Google HMR diet. There are a couple programs. The physician managed for those needing large weight loss is what I did. Another program if more moderate weight loss is needed. There is a locator on the HMR web site to find a provider near you who administers the program.

I have done weight watchers, medifast, all of the programs over the years. None focused on large weight loss, and none who have provided the real help I needed to fix the core problem - my eating. This program has done this.

I now track everything I eat with the My Fitness Pal app. Excellent food with nutrition database. Search or reads barcode label on most everything.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Another Low carb gal here, due to my diabetes, it's the only way to get and maintain things for me. It's a lifestyle.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #24

I follow a lifestyle called Trim Healthy Mama. It's about balancing fuel sources of fats and healthy carbs. Zero sugar and refined white flours.

It's amazing.... I've never felt better and I've lost 75 pounds. Best of all, it's not a fad, get skinny quick program, it's a lifestyle and is perfectly sustainable.

I applaud all of you in your journey to better health!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:23 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any dieters out there?

Quote:
I have lost 180 lbs. Now at goal of 195 lbs. and BMI under 30. 14 months to lose it. Diet and exercise, no surgeries. At goal weight last October. Now engaged in an even bigger challenge, learning how to maintain.

Google HMR diet. There are a couple programs. The physician managed for those needing large weight loss is what I did. Another program if more moderate weight loss is needed. There is a locator on the HMR web site to find a provider near you who administers the program.

I have done weight watchers, medifast, all of the programs over the years. None focused on large weight loss, and none who have provided the real help I needed to fix the core problem - my eating. This program has done this.

Now maintains for going on two years. Program changed my eating, which has always been my problem. The weight was just a by product of my eating problem.

No more bags of chips and cookies.

I now eat primarily white fish, white chicken, a couple three protein shakes a day, and 10+ servings a day of fruits and vegetables. All parts of me work better than they have for decades. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Now maintains for going on two years. Program changed my eating, which has always been my problem. The weight was just a by product of my eating problem.

No more bags of chips and cookies.

I now eat primarily white fish, white chicken, a couple three protein shakes a day, and 10+ servings a day of fruits and vegetables. All parts of me work better than they have for decades. (-:
Good to hear you stuck with it. So many times I've seen people lose a LOT and then fall off the bandwagon.

It's tough to stick to it but well worth it in many ways.

My wife and I are both Weight Watchers and that helps because we both eat the same food...well I can't handle Yogurt...but anyways you get the point.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I now track everything I eat with the My Fitness Pal app. Excellent food with nutrition database. Search or reads barcode label on most everything.
Another vote for the My Fitness Pal Ap. Did weightwatchers in the early 1990's but it is different now.

The key for me is to keep a food diary (what MyFitnessPal does for you). If I cut out snacks and don't overeat at meals then I am fine. I snack at work and don't even realize how much I am eating.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Another vote for the My Fitness Pal Ap. Did weightwatchers in the early 1990's but it is different now.

The key for me is to keep a food diary (what MyFitnessPal does for you). If I cut out snacks and don't overeat at meals then I am fine. I snack at work and don't even realize how much I am eating.
Yes. Mindless eating was my downfall. Everything I eat and drink goes into my MFP diary!

I don't care what program you use to help you stay on track. As long as you stick with it and be persistent it will work. It has to be something that you do not consider to be a short term diet. Ask yourself if you can live with it forever. As others have said, you must change your lifestyle and a short term diet will not do that for you.

That is why CICO (calories in, calories out) works best for me. I can eat anything as long as I can fit it into my day's calorie allotment. As soon as I say that there is nothing that I cannot eat, that is what I will crave, for sure. For me I find that by tracking my calories I naturally limit my carbs. That is because they are calorie dense. I eat them, but I don't eat as many as I used to eat by far.

As mentioned above it helps that my husband & I both use MFP and eat the same healthy way. I am fortunate to have his support.

143 pounds down - 17 to go!
SunnyAZgirl is offline   Reply With Quote