Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
Y'gotta have a trailer for that plane! I never saw them compared like that.
Scott
Yes, I pull a trailer with all the airplanes, helis, and some misc camping gear.

Here is my setup once I'm at the field for a weekend RC event. The Class-B is so perfect for me. I had both Class As and Cs in the past, and was considering them when buying this time, but then ran across these vans. Everything I need, packed efficiently as possible, yet still extremely comfortable for one or two people. Same with the trailer, I ditched a 6x14 for a smaller low profile 6x10 that 'just' fits a weekend full of planes and gear. Really loving the smaller profile of both.

reflex439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #226
In the ether...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex439 View Post
Yes, I pull a trailer with all the airplanes, helis, and some misc camping gear.

Here is my setup once I'm at the field for a weekend RC event. The Class-B is so perfect for me. I had both Class As and Cs in the past, and was considering them when buying this time, but then ran across these vans. Everything I need, packed efficiently as possible, yet still extremely comfortable for one or two people. Same with the trailer, I ditched a 6x14 for a smaller low profile 6x10 that 'just' fits a weekend full of planes and gear. Really loving the smaller profile of both.

That's an outstanding setup, sir! I'm completely impressed. I especially like how organized and how functional it is: Living on one side, flying on the other! I can see huge advantages to this.

My setup at the field is just a popup tent, table, tarp (no crawling around on grass looking for that dropped screw), tool box, and a Honda EU2000i (charge batteries, keep my wife's iPad powered up).

I usually camp well away from the flying field. I'm finding as I get older that waking up to the sound of nitro helicopters is not ideal and sometimes the night fliers go until two or three in the morning.

Scott
Old 11-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #227

Quote:
My setup at the field is just a popup tent, table, tarp (no crawling around on grass looking for that dropped screw), tool box, and a Honda EU2000i (charge batteries, keep my wife's iPad powered up).

I usually camp well away from the flying field. I'm finding as I get older that waking up to the sound of nitro helicopters is not ideal and sometimes the night fliers go until two or three in the morning.

Scott
I had a similar setup to you in the past (Adventurer 35U) and it was great. But I usually had my family with me so the extra space was important. Now that I usually travel solo, the Class B is no more or less than what I am comfortable with.

I still like waking up to the noise of engines in the am, and festivities late at night. I've got a T-Rex 700 heli with night blades and leds. Love getting in a few flights with that after a late dinner.

My first night flight with the 700E. I took me a couple flights to get comfortable enough to do more maneuvers with it at night.
reflex439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #228

Thumbs up Quartzsite Desert Flyers

I'm located. in Quartzsite Az. for the winter. We have a fantastic club with a great flying field. 10 bucks a year plus AMA membership. All are welcomed. We have everything from foamies,park flyers to Jets and gassers. On Dec 17 we will be hosting an RC Swapmeet. Should be great fun and good deals. To participate all you need do is show up.
Feb 10th is our annual Fly In. We always have a full house for that event. For spectators it's free. Pilots also free however we need to register prior to the event. I'll post registration info as the date gets closer.
We are all out here to have fun and this club is the best I have ever been involved with. Last year we started night flying. This year we are doing tail hook landings on our carrier deck layout. What a hoot. We hope to have our Website up and running soon and I will pass on that info. Come on out and play.
Red Star One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:28 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Star One View Post
I'm located. in Quartzsite Az. for the winter. We have a fantastic club with a great flying field. 10 bucks a year plus AMA membership. All are welcomed. We have everything from foamies,park flyers to Jets and gassers. On Dec 17 we will be hosting an RC Swapmeet. Should be great fun and good deals. To participate all you need do is show up.
Feb 10th is our annual Fly In. We always have a full house for that event. For spectators it's free. Pilots also free however we need to register prior to the event. I'll post registration info as the date gets closer.
We are all out here to have fun and this club is the best I have ever been involved with. Last year we started night flying. This year we are doing tail hook landings on our carrier deck layout. What a hoot. We hope to have our Website up and running soon and I will pass on that info. Come on out and play.
I remember the first time we spent time in Q, I was amazed at what a nice field you guys have there. I was way to new and uncomfortable to fly there the last time through but certainly plan to fly there this winter. We will roll in mid January and probably hang around until mid February at least. I have a buddy that joined your club a couple years ago, "Red".
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #230

Quartzsite flyers

Our website is up and running You can find us at www.quartzsitedesertflyers.com.Come on out and enjoy the fun
Red Star One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #231

I don't and that is a good thing. I have a number of interests and when I get into something I immerse myself in it.

However, it looks like a fascinating and fun hobby. Who knows, I may be flying around near you some day. If I do, you better Keep your eyes in the sky.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #232

Quote:
That's great. I remember. If I'm correct, I talked to you about water there--around the time I had to disconnect water because of the power problems. I was asked by the site host (Adam--nice guy) to hook up using a dogbone. Well, when Friday came and I went to unplug, I found my dogbone welded to the power plug on the motor home. I hope they have the power thing fixed for next year's event.

This years event was down on participation--only about 750 pilots. Couldn't tell from the site 3 campground, though. If you make it next year, look me up!

Here is a picture.

I do remember talking with you at the water outlet, although I have since gone to bed, and like a goose, I wake up in a new world every day. I hate to say, i don't remember much discussion about the power at that time. I can't say that the power situation really affected us, but we did know about it. I finally found the only photo we took of the Journey, mainly for documentation that I was actually trying to sell a buddy's X7. You probably saw me driving around with it mounted on top of the golf card. I sure did get a lot of people stopping me to let me know it was on the roof, although it was secured with skid mounts. I guess from a short distance away the mounts were pretty near invisible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2165.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	147217  
Old 12-22-2016, 04:51 AM   #233
In the ether...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerrv View Post
I do remember talking with you at the water outlet, although I have since gone to bed, and like a goose, I wake up in a new world every day. I hate to say, i don't remember much discussion about the power at that time. I can't say that the power situation really affected us, but we did know about it. I finally found the only photo we took of the Journey, mainly for documentation that I was actually trying to sell a buddy's X7. You probably saw me driving around with it mounted on top of the golf card. I sure did get a lot of people stopping me to let me know it was on the roof, although it was secured with skid mounts. I guess from a short distance away the mounts were pretty near invisible.
It was good meeting you and I hope I see you there next year! The power situation was completely ruinous for a lot of people who take showers at the Site 3 facilities. AMA did allow folks to shower up at the museum building so that was cool. I just remember seeing folks drive up to the site 3 building, read the signs, then drive off dejected.

Was that picture taken on Sunday? It looks like a lot of folks took off by then. That Dutch Star next to you was nice, no? The "For Sale" note on yours was cool!

Did you get the X7 sold?

Next year, we'll be there for the entire event again--Sunday through Sunday with Monday through Wednesday being relaxation days. Having to leave on Friday this year was really necessary, though. Hopefully it isn't as hot next year!

Scott
Old 12-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #234

I can't remember exactly when we took the photo. We did stay over thru Monday and there were only 3 or 4 people left along with us. We did get in some good flying behind the showers and restrooms that last day.

The Dutch Star belonged to couple we have known for a good while. It was new to them for this trip. After we left Muncie and headed up to Buffalo, he had a complete failure of his rear airbag system. We had to spend 3 days in Conneaut, OH while they replaced his two rear bags. Fortunately, no major damage (although one issue on the failure had a potential to be very damaging, maybe even catastrophic), just a rather expensive inconvenience for him. Although the extra days gave us an opportunity to see a lot of stuff there we would have otherwise just bypassed.

Not too sure about IRCHA this year. We are kinda taking a look at Oshkosh. Also, I will probably be having hip surgery (supposedly in January, but that's not gonna happen unless my hip really becomes too painful to live with, as it will kill my participation in the 3 spring fun flies in Louisiana and Texas. So right now I plan to reschedule the surgery to later on in May because it get so hot down here in the summer, we can't do much flying anyway.

I want to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #235
In the ether...

Quote:
I can't remember exactly when we took the photo. We did stay over thru Monday and there were only 3 or 4 people left along with us. We did get in some good flying behind the showers and restrooms that last day.

The Dutch Star belonged to couple we have known for a good while. It was new to them for this trip. After we left Muncie and headed up to Buffalo, he had a complete failure of his rear airbag system. We had to spend 3 days in Conneaut, OH while they replaced his two rear bags. Fortunately, no major damage (although one issue on the failure had a potential to be very damaging, maybe even catastrophic), just a rather expensive inconvenience for him. Although the extra days gave us an opportunity to see a lot of stuff there we would have otherwise just bypassed.

Not too sure about IRCHA this year. We are kinda taking a look at Oshkosh. Also, I will probably be having hip surgery (supposedly in January, but that's not gonna happen unless my hip really becomes too painful to live with, as it will kill my participation in the 3 spring fun flies in Louisiana and Texas. So right now I plan to reschedule the surgery to later on in May because it get so hot down here in the summer, we can't do much flying anyway.

I want to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas.
It sounds like you had a good time at AMA. That's great. The area behind the showers and restrooms is nice.

Wow! I'm glad your friends did not have larger problems due to the failure of airbags. I can imagine losing suspension components would be terrifying.

I hope everything goes to your plan and that your surgery goes well. The recovery is quick, as painless as possible, and that you come out painless; ready to jump around like a teenager again, sir! I hope to see you at IRCHA, but if not, please take care of yourself and be safe.

I have a new model build coming up in literally days (Compass EXO 500) and will be doing a build thread on an RC Helicopter forum. I did the USA testing on it, so it's going to be fun. It'll be too cold to fly it right away, though!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours, too!

Scott
Old 12-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #236

As everything turned out, it only ended up being a pleasant diversion while we were waiting for his Rv to be repaired. It all started when we were about 30 miles west of Conneaut, OH. When the bags on the rear failed, the back end of his MH sagged down and his mud flap started dragging on the ground.

With it being a Newmar (maybe others can attest yea or nay on this) the mud flap had a piece of 2" angle iron bolted to the bottom of the flap. I don't know how many bolts originally held it on, but all but the one in the center failed and allowed the angle iron to rotate 90 degrees so that it was oriented front to back instead of side to side. By the time we got everything stopped it had already snagged the front end on some pavement cracks, and it was slightly bent in about 3 places.

He was really lucky IMHO that it didn't get a hard snag on the pavement and break that last bolt holding it on and send it punching up into the bottom of his engine, or backwards through the front of his toad. We removed it and limped on in to Conneaut, where he got the rear air bags replaced, and then were able to continue on to Buffalo and the rest of our trip.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #237
In the ether...

Quote:
As everything turned out, it only ended up being a pleasant diversion while we were waiting for his Rv to be repaired. It all started when we were about 30 miles west of Conneaut, OH. When the bags on the rear failed, the back end of his MH sagged down and his mud flap started dragging on the ground.

With it being a Newmar (maybe others can attest yea or nay on this) the mud flap had a piece of 2" angle iron bolted to the bottom of the flap. I don't know how many bolts originally held it on, but all but the one in the center failed and allowed the angle iron to rotate 90 degrees so that it was oriented front to back instead of side to side. By the time we got everything stopped it had already snagged the front end on some pavement cracks, and it was slightly bent in about 3 places.

He was really lucky IMHO that it didn't get a hard snag on the pavement and break that last bolt holding it on and send it punching up into the bottom of his engine, or backwards through the front of his toad. We removed it and limped on in to Conneaut, where he got the rear air bags replaced, and then were able to continue on to Buffalo and the rest of our trip.
Harrowing story there! Great news that nothing was damaged and you all got enjoy the rest of your trip.

I hope you had a great Christmas and that you'll have a very happy New Year. My EXO is coming soon! I have all the electronics!

Scott