Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Hangar

Noel,

This is my hangar of Parkzone and eflite, plus now I have added the Blade mSR and the P51 sometime this month I hope

All of these are easy to fly with the exception of the Sukhoi. They take up very little room and easy to transport in the MH when we go camping, I usually take at least 4 of them. The Cessna in front and the Citabria to the left I put together with parts I ordered on line, surprisingly both fly very well.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was in this hobby several years, my pride and joy was a scaled replica Chipmunk, but it took me so long to put it together, it took quite a while to get up the nerve to learn to fly it! But I did, and of course had some scrapes and repairs along the way. I really enjoyed helicopters more than planes though, I must admit. A video cam in a heli is fantastic!

I eBayed all my stuff when I moved out and went through a divorce 5 years ago. But...I have a 2 year old son now, and I can't wait until he gets old enough. He doesn't know it now, but in a few years, he is going to love this hobby, whether he does or not!
Old 09-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dmiles,

Quote:
I have a 2 year old son now, and I can't wait until he gets old enough. He doesn't know it now, but in a few years, he is going to love this hobby, whether he does or not!
By the time your son is 3 or 4 he should be able to fly those little Air Hogs. They are cheap and almost indestructible. This is my Hangar I started out with and the little Air Hogs in the foreground can be flown in a very small outside area.

They are only two channel but they taught me how to be able to control the airplane when flying away from and toward me. The little white bi-plane is for inside only. The little black and orange bi-plane is slow and pretty easy to control.

Ron
Old 10-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I have been flying and bulding RC planes for 28 years. I am going to retire next year and hopfully have time to build and fly. I prefer gas but also have electrics for traveling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yak.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1648
Old 10-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #19

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
I have been flying and bulding RC planes for 28 years. I am going to retire next year and hopfully have time to build and fly. I prefer gas but also have electrics for traveling.

Attachment 1648
NICE!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Del,

Nice looking plane! Looks like the shape of my little mirco Sukhoi.

Is that considered a giant?

Quote:
I have been flying and bulding RC planes for 28 years. I am going to retire next year and hopfully have time to build and fly. I prefer gas but also have electrics for traveling
I'm still pretty new to planes so I don't know very much about them

Thanks,

Ron
Old 10-19-2009, 06:07 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Ron,

It is a YAK and is 35% size of the real YAK and is considered giant scale. I just sold a 40% Cap 232 that had a twin cylinder 150cc twin. The YAK has a 100cc twin. They are 2 big to take traveling so I take electrics with me in the MH.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Micro P-51

This is my latestest addition to my micro hangar

I haven't had a chance to really find out if I can fly it because it has been to windy. My first try wasn't too successful and only lasted a couple of minutes.

The plane was a way to tail heavy and wanted to go straight up and hang on the prop. After moving the battery as far forward as possible and adjusting the elevator trim a bit the plane didn't climb quite as steep but was still very squirrelly. That was it for my first flight

I'm now just waiting on the wind to calm down a bit so I can give it another test flight. The P-51 seems to fly as fast, or maybe even faster, than my Sukhoi. So far I'm not having much luck at flying a 4 channel plane with ailerons

Maybe I should just stick with my little 3 channel planes. Parkzone is coming out with a new 3 channel J3-Cub that looks pretty interesting Horizon Hobby: Ultra-Micro J-3 Cub BNF by ParkZone (PKZ3980)

Ron
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Nice Ron, If your radio has expotential use it because it will help with the sensitivty on the control serfaces.

Good luck
Old 10-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Del,

I just bought a new radio, Spectrum DX6i, so I could have all of my planes on one radio. I set up some D/R and Expo for the Sukhoi, and think I'll use the same settings for the P-51

I'm not sure I have the correct settings, but did set them up for what was recommended from Horizon's web site. I may need to fine tune them for my needs but I'm not sure exactly what I need

The instructions in the radio manual are not very clear with the operations and I'm still stumbling my way through the different setups.

Hopefull I'll find some settings that will help me with my dumb thumbs

Ron
Old 10-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Great, just start dialing in expo and gradualy add more as you feel confortable because it will compensate for your nerves (we all get the shakes with a new plane).

Have fun Ron
Old 12-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
This was my birthday present in August and it almost ready to go. We are going to Florida this Saturday so I will fly it when I get back. It is done except for some numbers and a few details. It is powered by a Saito 150.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0703.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2189  
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diandtom View Post
This was my birthday present in August and it almost ready to go. We are going to Florida this Saturday so I will fly it when I get back. It is done except for some numbers and a few details. It is powered by a Saito 150.
Nice looking plane diandtom, give us the low down on your maiden flight.

I just started a 1/4 scale Bellanca Decathlon from a Pilot kit that my friend has had up in his rafters for 20+ years. I have tried to buy it several times over the years but he would not let it go. He started cleaning out is garage and actually gave it to me. If you have ever seen one of these kits they are jewels and very sought after.
Good luck on your maiden flight.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I only have one plane now that I built. It is a Pica Kit Waco that I built in 1992. It had a bad crash and sat in the attic of the garage for years unitl I rebuilt it a few years back. It is also powered by a 150 Saito.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	waco 1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2203   Click image for larger version

Name:	waco.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	2204  

diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote