Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #29

Yup, been flying about 15 yrs or so. I have a 48% Carden Edge 540 w/DA 150cc, couple of Sig 4-Stars (one 60 and one 120), couple of trainers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Yup, been flying about 15 yrs or so. I have a 48% Carden Edge 540 w/DA 150cc, couple of Sig 4-Stars (one 60 and one 120), couple of trainers.
94-Newmar, I built a 40% Carden CAP 232 a few years back. Last project was an Aeroworks YAK with a DA 50. I have about 26 years of building and flying.
I really liked my CAP but was offered a deal that I couldn't refuse so I sold it. I had a Aeroworks Edge with a DA 100 and loved it. (Mid aired by a new pilot).
Old 01-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
94-Newmar, I built a 40% Carden CAP 232 a few years back. Last project was an Aeroworks YAK with a DA 50. I have about 26 years of building and flying.
I really liked my CAP but was offered a deal that I couldn't refuse so I sold it. I had a Aeroworks Edge with a DA 100 and loved it. (Mid aired by a new pilot).
Ouch.. mid air. Its hard to avoid them sometimes, especially when they encroach on your patterns. I try to take all the precautions including flying ham freqs to avoid newbies who love to test radios without pulling a pin, but they're still a nuisance. I just try to avoid flying until they're either done or crashed, whichever comes first.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by diandtom View Post
This was my birthday present in August and it almost ready to go. We are going to Florida this Saturday so I will fly it when I get back. It is done except for some numbers and a few details. It is powered by a Saito 150.
My favorite color

The first mirco Citabria I bought was red and white. I just changed out the electronics in it so I could fly it with my DX6i. Wow, what a difference, no more radio glitching, much better range.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:53 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
I just try to avoid flying until they're either done or crashed, whichever comes first.
In my case you wouldn't have to wait very long, I still crash a lot

Ron
Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Just started this 1/4 scale Bellanca Decathalon from a 25 year old Pilot kit that was given to me as a retirement gift. This is one of the best quality kits that I have ever built, to bad Pilot dosen't make kits anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	2253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1599.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	2254  

Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like a fun project. How long do you think before your maiden?

I got a late start in RC and therefore don't know too much about the different models, types, and etc.

Your model looks a little bit like my mirco Citabria, and would look nice painted red. Oh, did I mention my favorite color is red

I can only speak for my little micros and the Citabria is a fun plane to fly. It's slow and just seems to float around and glides nice and easy.

I like to take it up as high as I can, turn the motor off and dead stick in as close to me as I can
Old 01-07-2010, 07:26 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Looks like a fun project. How long do you think before your maiden?

I got a late start in RC and therefore don't know too much about the different models, types, and etc.

Your model looks a little bit like my mirco Citabria, and would look nice painted red. Oh, did I mention my favorite color is red

I can only speak for my little micros and the Citabria is a fun plane to fly. It's slow and just seems to float around and glides nice and easy.

I like to take it up as high as I can, turn the motor off and dead stick in as close to me as I can
Hi Ron,

I would say 3-4 months to build. I have been building wood models since I was 12 years old. I have built composits, fiberglass, foam and wood. The wood models are far superior to anything else for flying. I have had alot of ARF's and though most flew well none can compare to all wood models. As you know there are not to many people that take the time to build any more and have never experienced how rewarding it is to build and fly something that you built, not to mention the enjoyment
of the project.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I would say 3-4 months to build
Looks like about Spring Time then, my favorite time of year

I can't wait until I get my J3-Cub, looks like it is going to be around the last of January.

I have just about given up on my Sukhoi and P-51, trying to learn aileron flight

A friend of mine want's to hook me up with a trainer cord and his Parkzone T-28 Trojan to give me some lessons on flying with ailerons. Maybe that should help me out a little in this steep learning curve I'm having

Ron
Old 01-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Looks like about Spring Time then, my favorite time of year

I can't wait until I get my J3-Cub, looks like it is going to be around the last of January.

I have just about given up on my Sukhoi and P-51, trying to learn aileron flight

A friend of mine want's to hook me up with a trainer cord and his Parkzone T-28 Trojan to give me some lessons on flying with ailerons. Maybe that should help me out a little in this steep learning curve I'm having

Ron
Ron,

Fly a top wing aircraft to learn aileron flying. Aileron airplanes are more stable and have a much better movement. Rudder ships are to slow to recover and have to much YAW effect. Try getting a top wing trainer from Tower or Hobby Lobby with at least a 36" wing span and you will be suprised how easy and fast you will learn. Great idea with the buddy cord but not with a small electric. The larger the top wing airplane the more stable it is.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
You guys are way more advanced than me. I have flown my slo stick a few times, had more takeoffs than landings of course. It's easy to fix. Fairly easy to transport in the RV.
deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #40

Anyone fly jets? how hard is it?
NitroPlanes.com - Online Shopping for Electric RC Airplanes & Nitro Gas Planes plus RC Helicopters & Aerial Upgrades
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Jets are great but not for a first attemp. They are very fast and someone new would not have a very good chance of taking it home in one piece. Remember when you are flying going straight in front of you looking at the rear of the plane the controls function right turn goes right left turn goes left, but comming back at you the controls are reveresed right turn goes left and left turn goes right. On a jet a new person would be very challenged to control the plane because of the speed and would not have time to react. This was just an example you should never fly toward your self always fly right to left. You need a top wing trainer airplane that can fly slow so you can react. Always go to a field and a member will always assist you.

It is very easy to learn to fly with a trainer.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye916 View Post
You guys are way more advanced than me. I have flown my slo stick a few times, had more takeoffs than landings of course. It's easy to fix. Fairly easy to transport in the RV.
Not me, I'm a newbie and will probably will always be a newbie

The biggest RC I have transported in my RV was my Hobbyzone Phantom. Got tired of crashing and repairing it so I've changed my hangar to the Mircos. I doubt if I ever graduate to anything bigger

Ron