Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #1

Any rock hounds lurking about?

We will be visiting family in the Show Low, AZ area sometime in August/September time frame, actually traveling from KY to AZ, up to OR and WA for more family. We have been interested in "rock hunting" in the past, collecting stuff from all over the place. We were just wondering if there are any "Rock Hounds" lurking about that frequent those areas. We occasionally use stones and other found natural objects in our artwork, and would consider hooking up with others if the timing/location works out. Our plans are not set in stone (pun intended!), however we DO plan on attending a couple of Art Shows in the Oregon area sometime in early September though. Any takers? Or anyone who just enjoys rock hunting?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #2

Apparently NOT!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:55 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Dw's parents were rock hounds. They still have tons of them. Very pretty and some very unique. Too much weight to lug around for me.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a cousin that has a gold mine in Likely, does that count?
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:03 AM   #5

There are Opal areas & fosil areas in Oregon, the town of Fosil, has public dig area. I think it's 5 or 10 $ per bucket.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
Dw's parents were rock hounds. They still have tons of them. Very pretty and some very unique. Too much weight to lug around for me.
We are looking at incorporating pieces of natural stone in our art work. Kind of cool to augment the metal work with the right looking pieces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I have a cousin that has a gold mine in Likely, does that count?
Probably not from what little experience I've had in the Cascades in WA State, not too many people with private stakes like people wandering around on their gold mine! The wanderers tend to get lead poisoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
There are Opal areas & fosil areas in Oregon, the town of Fosil, has public dig area. I think it's 5 or 10 $ per bucket.
We'll have to look into that! That sounds kind of cool.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
There seems to be a lot of places around Kamloops that have places to rock hound. Just Google "Kamloops rock hound ". Always free to dig on crown land. Have fun.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
There seems to be a lot of places around Kamloops that have places to rock hound. Just Google "Kamloops rock hound ". Always free to dig on crown land. Have fun.
Don't think we'll get up into BC this time, but we'll keep it in mind for later trips! Thanks