Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #1

Any writers of fiction,non fiction, published or non published? Self published

Greetings;
Looking for others interested in writing. Doesn't matter if it is fiction or non-fiction. I live in RV with my spouse Bilgerat as well as three dogs and a cat. Living as I do gives me time and opportunity to follower a third career, that of putting "pen to paper" so to speak. A passion I have always wanted to do but was unable to do until now.
I have self-published two books. Anyone out there self-published, thinking about it?
Thanks for listening and hoping to hear from you.
Kassie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 03:13 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi, Kassie!

I've been freelance writing for about 15 years, give or take. While my work has been seen by millions across the internet (as site copy, blogs, brochures, advertisements, press releases, corporate bio's, etc.), no one would ever know. The only thing that has my name on it are the checks The closest I've ever come to being published is when I ghosted a series of e-books a couple years back.

Then again, I've never tried to be published, but that's about to change. I'm about half way through my first fiction novel with the hopes of being done with it by August 2015. When it's compete I'll self-publish just to get it out there and maybe make seven or eight bucks

My wife and I are buying our first coach in a few months; I have every intention of writing from the road. If fact, I've recruited her as my business manager - she'll hunt down the jobs and collect the checks, etc., I'll write and drive - not at the same time, of course

Good luck to you, and I hope to read your stuff someday!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have never self published, or written a book

But I have written several technical articles that made it into publication.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #4

Thanks for answering

Self-publishing is an interesting way to go. Unfortunately like anything else there are many offers to help self-publish but at a price, sometimes a steep price. But there are also ways to self-publish inexpensively or free. Also there are ways of marketing inexpensively.
The first book was a real eye opener, learned a lot the hard way. But second book was published with more knowledge.
I am in the middle of a third and hope to finish in the next few months. Hopefully it will be a lot better.
I have learned quite a lot about twitter, marketing base, book signings. Some very interesting prospects out there.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #5

Before i was retired, I used to write an average of one technical paper per year. You're unlikely to have ever seen one, since they were in extremely technical journals or in-house proprietary journals.

Now that I'm retired, I'm trying my hand in e-books. I published three e-books in 2014. They're cheap to publish and easy to write. If I was trying to earn money, I'd be concerned about marketing and advertising. But, since I'm retired now, I enjoy writing even though the royalties are tiny.

Hoping to do more writing while traveling in a 5er. Planning for long-term camping (4 months / year). Looking forward to writing while looking out the RV windows at some gorgeous scenery!

I seem to be inept at writing fiction. All of my writing is non-fiction.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
ken02802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #6

E-books

My books are e-books as well as paperback. Profits aren't to bad though. If you are putting your e-books out on several different places then you should have more then tiny profits. Non fiction is just as popular as fiction, usually.
Good luck, it really is an interesting process.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I've authored and published manuals, marketing materials and website content for the past few decades and now, finally retired, I plan to self publish a few "how-to" type books. My past works included authoring the copy, graphics, layout, printing (paper and/or electronic) and more. These are skills one must acquire in order to complete a self-publish process and then you have to add marketing, sales, distribution and other skills to monetize your efforts.

I have spoken to others doing self-publish works similar to those I intend to create and all indications are that some publications can be very rewarding and provide revenue for years to come.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #8

Combed the forums for threads on writing -- this one seems to be the most recent, though dormant for a few years. I'm new to iRV2, am a full-time RVer and serious novelist with books both traditionally and self-published out there.

Any other writers still out there? How's it going? What are you working on? What's your biggest challenge these days?
ellenbehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #9

I'm kept journals all of my life, wrote scraps of stories, poetry, etc. Just never finished anything to the point where it could be presented for publication. I retired eight years ago and thought I would have all the time in the world to write but it seems that it is just the opposite. We have a motor home that we love to travel in, constantly staying on the move, but one day I hope to be able to park it in the desert and sit for a while and finish one of my stories.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #10

Lightbulb

Seems like there's never time to write! I used to be a visiting writer in k-12 schools and did summer programs with gifted high school writers. Those kids would say, "I can't wait to grow up so I'll have time to write." I always told them not to wait. There will never be time enough. Just do it.

Sitting in the desert sounds like a great plan, but I'm guessing that landscape will hold its own lure for you....

How about I give you a challenge? How about I bet you can't finish a short story DRAFT (not a polished version, mind you... that takes longer) before Thanksgiving? How about I toss in an incentive? I'll send you a free PDF copy of my newest novel if I lose that bet. Are we on?
Old 11-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #11

I have a very busy schedule for the next three weeks but you're on. I will complete a first draft of a short story before Thanksgiving and make it available here for you to read.
(What have I got myself into? I'd better get busy! I'm also under a challenge with a son and daughter to see who can walk the furthest for the month of November. I'm in third place but gaining. And my wife wants to go on a trip and I'm doing volunteer sales for the VFW tomorrow and photographing a couple for Sadie Hawkins Day celebration tomorrow afternoon and working this weekend. I work every weekend! But I'll find a way.) I'm not on here every day but I'll be back in touch soon.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #12

Woohoo! I'm rooting for you! (I know... hoping I'll lose this bet.) Sometimes we all need a nudge (or a push), and if this helps you get those writing gears turning, I'm all in. Good luck and have fun!

Any other takers on this offer? Yep -- if you're looking for some incentive to get moving, join rider1046 in this challenge!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #13

Smile

Thought I'd sit down and pound one out, have got two typed pages, single-spaced, and still going, but taking longer than I figured.
I may just win this bet
Old 11-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Six Word Novel:

For Sale: Baby shoes; Never Worn.

(Attributed to Ernest Hemingway, but never authenticated.)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote