Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ShannyFE

Looks like that will make a great TB, hope it travels many miles for you.

IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #30

We just started. Found 2 this weekend at a Texas State Park we were camped at. My iphone has a free "Intro Geocaching" application we use. It finds the 3 nearest Geocaches wherever we are. Includes maps, compass, distance, hints. Give us something different to do while camping or out walking the dog.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
We just started. Found 2 this weekend at a Texas State Park we were camped at. My iphone has a free "Intro Geocaching" application we use. It finds the 3 nearest Geocaches wherever we are. Includes maps, compass, distance, hints. Give us something different to do while camping or out walking the dog.
Smart phones have really increased the number of folks who cache since they don't have to purchase a separate GPS unit. They do work fairly well but do have a few draw backs, the biggest one being they don't work when there is no cell phone service and there are many caches hidden where there is no service. It is nice to be able to ask for caches in the area and not pre-load a GPS unit but they are not as accurate as a good GPS unit. So many cachers are hiding caches with smart phones now that you never know how accurate the coordinates are going to be anyway. They have added a lot of leeway or expanded search area to the finds. Hope you have a great time finding many caches.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #32

Just got into it this past weekend. Had seen something about it on here, we were camping at Codorus State Park and I already had the free app and pulled it up and bam there's one a 1/4 mile away! We got hooked right away! We had a great first find. -YoungAdventurers(2) if your in the area. Look us up on geocaching.com, TeamDoggett. We found 9/18, which is think was decent for our first weekend caching. Can't wait to get back out and find more, but 6 days off, means back to work now. :(

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4188819458.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	38942

Name:	image-2312015904.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	38941

Name:	image-4204844627.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	38944

Name:	image-4167182706.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	38943
Old 05-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #33

The iphones are great, if you plan to geocache at a particular location take the time to search the area while you are at home or somewhere you have WIFI access and save the caches to your phone. Then you can use it without cell phone coverage as all thats required is the GPS chip in the phone. I used this same process when travelling to Greece as I didn't want to be roaming.

Any questions please feel free to message me, glad to help.

Geocaching is an excellant hobbie and the kids really like it. Look into the travelbugs, these are a great feature of geocaching and the kids will really enjoy following their travelbugs throughtout their travels..
Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannyFE View Post
The iphones are great, if you plan to geocache at a particular location take the time to search the area while you are at home or somewhere you have WIFI access and save the caches to your phone. Then you can use it without cell phone coverage as all thats required is the GPS chip in the phone. I used this same process when travelling to Greece as I didn't want to be roaming.

Any questions please feel free to message me, glad to help.

Geocaching is an excellant hobbie and the kids really like it. Look into the travelbugs, these are a great feature of geocaching and the kids will really enjoy following their travelbugs throughtout their travels..
Thanks for the tips, iPhones are our preferred method for now at least. I have the 4s and the wife has the 3GS. Between us we usually get right on top of it. I prefer to put the phone away and use my head more while she runs around in circles following the GPS lol But we do ok so far. I've played around on the site a bit and learning my way around it. Is the $10 app worth the price? Or should I just stick with the freebie and web?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #35

We just went for our first time, afew weekends ago with some college friends that are into it. We went to the state park 35 mi away and made a quick afternoon trip out of it. The kids had fun taking turns getting a trinket from the caches. We left pens advertising for my business. Over all we had fun and decided we need to take our 5th wheel and make a longer trip out of it next time. Our friends have cached around the area, so we thought it'd be fun to find a location new to them. I could see it being something our family might enjoy. If not on our own, we had a great time as a group, and look forward to going again.

Trent
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #36

I would recommend buying the app, it gives you better features and I'm sure once you try it you'll be pleased you bought the app..

Have fun and happy caching!!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent McCain View Post
We just went for our first time, afew weekends ago with some college friends that are into it. We went to the state park 35 mi away and made a quick afternoon trip out of it. The kids had fun taking turns getting a trinket from the caches. We left pens advertising for my business. Over all we had fun and decided we need to take our 5th wheel and make a longer trip out of it next time. Our friends have cached around the area, so we thought it'd be fun to find a location new to them. I could see it being something our family might enjoy. If not on our own, we had a great time as a group, and look forward to going again.

Trent
Glad y'all enjoyed Trent! Happy caching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannyFE View Post
I would recommend buying the app, it gives you better features and I'm sure once you try it you'll be pleased you bought the app..

Have fun and happy caching!!

Awesome thank you! I wasn't sure about spending $10 on an app.. And wanted someone's opinion before doing it. Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
We've been using c:geo which is free for the last few years and have been happy with it.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
What is a good free apt that will work with an iphone i want to experiment with geo caching and see if i like it before buying an app

Bart Anderson
Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart anderso View Post
What is a good free apt that will work with an iphone i want to experiment with geo caching and see if i like it before buying an app

Bart Anderson
Search groundspeak in the App Store and dl the free app. It shows 3 random caches close to you. I have a few friends who have the $10 app and say its worth it. I'll comment later letting you know my opinion.. I got it and going to test it today.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #41

The $10 app is great! I had no problems with it today, GPS seems to be fairly accurate, it was cloudy so I'm sure that didnt help. Well worth the money if caching is something your gonna do a lot.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
c:geo is free and we have been using since we started geocaching about 2 or 3 yrs ago. We have had no problems with it and it automatically signs me into geocaching.com which is the main geocaching site. There are a few other sites to find where geocaches are but that is the one with well over a million hidden around the world, including one on the space station, lol, which someone actually got the find for.