Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 04:50 AM   #1

Anyone making homebrew?

I started making homebrew when I retired in '11. My last name is Brewer, so I kinda had to. My son and I have made over 65 batches from 5 to 15 gallon.
Now I plan to full-time RV and will cut back to 5 gallon batches (22 Liters). 11 of the 2 Liter soda bottles will hold it, since I can't haul a kegerator around. That stuff (the kegerator, kegs, etc.) will stay at my son-in-laws house and my son and I can drop in and brew a big batch every so often.
So, who's making beer out there on the road?
steamyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #2

I used to homebrew-at home. Can't do it now, I only drink ultra-lights since diagnosed with diabetes. I'd think it would be difficult to ferment and settle while driving. This was discussed a few years ago, perhaps a search will uncover the thread.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:08 AM   #3

Road Homebrewing

My idea was to ferment some ale while parked (say 7-10 days), then rack to the 2 Liter bottles with some carb tabs. 2 of those sugar pills will carb a 750ml bottle, so I'm thinking maybe 5 for each 2 Liter to avoid bottle bombs. If I store in the 'basement' and wait a day before opening after parking, I should avoid a 'gusher'.
I just hate to give up my hobby, and it's a bummer you had to give it up. My step-father had diabetes and went on the diet they suggest. He lost about 40 lbs and avoided shots and was OK to go back to his old lifestyle. He didn't, of course, he felt so much better being lighter. I told him to put bricks in his pockets, so he wouldn't blow away. He's gone now, and I miss him. He was putting on his boots to go to the flea-market, and his ticker gave out. But that is just the way he wanted it, quick and easy- no laying around waiting. If I have a choice, I'd pick his way also.
I'll try again to find the old thread- I must've missed it- I get sidetracked.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Just starting to home brew but still in stick n brick.

Let me know how it's going in the RV and brewing.

If you have any input or ideas that might help a new brewer I am happy to take advice. 😄
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
DTS

Country Coach Owners Club
I started brewing back in '93, gave it up for a few years then got back into it about 5 years ago, my wife enjoys it too! We just bought a motorhome, and we've been eyeing that 45-gallon propane tank

We're just weekenders so we wouldn't have to worry about fermenting on the road. But we're thinking it would be fun to brew batches while camping somewhere, rather than just on the back porch. We could brew the morning before we come home (most of our trips are not that far), then just bring the wort back in capped carboys, and wait until we get home to pitch the yeast and put them into my fermentation chamber (temp-controlled ice cream cooler).

The bigger question is how should I go about rigging up a kegerator for one of the basement bays in the motorhome...hmmm...

Oh here's a pic of Raylan, my brewing buddy

1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:26 AM   #6

This is my thread from another forum that may help:
"THAT WON'T WORK!" RV Brewing Part #3
Brewing on the road is possible with Cans and Caps-
Muntons Hopped Liquid Extract (available at many Home-Brew shops and Pat Mack's Caps available at Home Brewing Caps | Pat Mack'sHome Brew Kits, Mulled Wine Recipe, How To Make Cider, Craft Beer | Home Brewing Caps, (they fit 2 Liter soda bottles).
No boil, no chill, ferments in the 2 Liter bottle (holds about 4 proper pints), and it all fits into a Tote in case you have an overflow. Also fits in the basement of my RV and the 2 Liters fit in the fridge, so no reason for a kegerator. This works, so have fun with some recipes! Try the Hopped Light Extract with 1 oz.of Citra hops from a French Press!
Oh yea, the cost- about $18 for the extract and the caps run about $20 (but they are reusable- same with the soda bottles, they are free from your friends and the green ones work best). I use distilled water and the yeast ($2) is reusable to about the third batch, so 10 Liters or 5 Bottles costs me about $22 for about 20 pints or $1.10 a pint (which is much cheaper than craft and better than macro). If you use a thermo mug, most folks will think you are drinking mountain dew or sprite.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for everyone's input. We always carry one turkey roast in the basement so might see if we can keep 2 down there at some point. We have just made our first brew ever and so just in the beginning stage of all of this.

I will check out the links steamyb; thanks so much!
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #8

I used to do limited five gallon batches when I lived in a house, but transitioned to one gallon batches when five gallon got too much for me (I know, I know...). I've planned on doing a few one gallon brews while parked up somewhere for an extended period, but really haven't got round to it yet. The things that strike me as the biggest problem is consistency of temperature and a stable footing while in the fermenter and while conditioning. That being said, when I was in the house temperature was still a problem (that's Florida for you...) but I managed to come up with a couple of at least semi-drinkable batches.
Ropetin is offline   Reply With Quote