Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Arrow Are there any Quilters or Sewists out there?

Hi!

I know this has been asked in other threads but it looks like it's been a couple of years since something has been posted.

I love to quilt and sew and I am interested in connecting with others who RV and share my passion. When we travel, I take my Singer Featherweight along and I enjoy visiting fabric shops in the towns that we stay in.

Wouldn't it be nice to get together and sew with others at a rally? I did this at the 2018 FMCA International Rally and it was so much fun to meet others from all over the country. Several of us have stayed in touch on Facebook and we look forward to sewing together in the future.

If you love to sew and quilt, respond to this post. Maybe we can get our own group going here and plan so camping trips together. I think that would be fun!

kpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #2

Sisters on the Fly

Look them up online. They have a lot of vintage RVers but also special interest groups, couple and solo RV women. I joined a few months ago and primarily watch the site so far, but it may help find some fellow quilters for you.
Buppalepcien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
PHS

I am a lover of quilting and embroidering. Would love to be a part of a group like this. We have just started to travel and have been to New Orleans for a month and Florida as well as up around New York and a couple of weeks in Wichita, Ks. I live in Tennessee.

Sandy
PHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
FMCA rallies do have a quilting/sewing get together. The last one I was at (Gillette) didn’t have a sewing time because the woman who organizes it had something come up. We are planning on the Minot rally in August, and I hope they have it there.

There definitely are lots of people who sew and quilt in RVs. I take my BERNINA 440 and a folding Gidget table with me. I end up doing utility, mending, and home dec work on my machine in addition to piecing. I do the quilting back home where I have more space.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
My wife quilts as we travel. She has a Bernina 590 for traveling so she can keep up with quilting and embroidery. May have to sign her up on IRV2
Old 03-14-2019, 03:10 AM   #6

I love to sew and recently started quilting. When we headed west this past summer I just took hand sewing to work on. I started following a Facebook page for RV sewing and quilting. I also like to support quilt shops along the way!
Old 05-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #7

I love to quilt and have just gotten into embroidery. I have a Singer Featherweight that I took once but haven't taken it since. I just thought it was too much trouble however I've thought about doing some handwork on the road. Trouble with that is I don't really like doing hand work.
kgb6days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:50 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb6days View Post
I love to quilt and have just gotten into embroidery. I have a Singer Featherweight that I took once but haven't taken it since. I just thought it was too much trouble however I've thought about doing some handwork on the road. Trouble with that is I don't really like doing hand work.
I am just not someone who likes to do handwork. I did at one time, but arthritis has made it much less attractive these days. I do take a sewing machine with me though. I love to piece quilts on my Featherweight, and I took it along for quite a while. Then I realized it wanted to do some other things that needed zig zag capabilities like rope bowls or mending. I have taken my Bernina 440 with me for the last few years, but it is heavy. I just bought a Viking Opal that is quite capable but lighter. I am in the middle of quilting a baby quilt on the 440, and I have remembered why I don’t like quilting in a small space! Piecing is fine, but I think I will save the quilting for home next time.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:31 AM   #9

My husband Vic and I both quilt. He has a Bernina 790 at home. He loves doing the embroidery and the quilting. I have a 590 at home and it is what we intend to take on our camping trips in our Winnie B!
https://share.icloud.com/photos/07Of...2WnghsSAQEB4Rg
Old 10-27-2019, 03:20 AM   #10

Google is your friend. took me 18 sec to find these.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/951640368227990/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/140791849773006/

https://happiestcamper.com/rv-quilting/
Old 12-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Hand quilting

We are very new to RVing and will be living either on our RV or our boat. Saw lots of the Eastern seaboard, now want to see the interior of the US.
I do a lot of hand quilting and sewing when we live on our boat. Expect to do the same on our RV. No machine, no room. Would love to hook up with other quilters, especially hand quilters.
Barb
2011 40 Phaeton
Honda CRV
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:26 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Barb, do you belong to FMCA? It is a group for RVers. They have a quilters group that meets at their bigger conventions, maybe four times a year. Here is a link: https://fmca.com/index.php?option=co...ics&Itemid=140

Most are machine piecers from what I have seen, but a good number do hand quilting and other crafts. And a small but nice sewing machine occupies but 3-4 square feet when you add one small box for machine specific supplies too. My travel machine, a Viking 650 Opal, runs very happily on the inverter in my rig. Sewing machines use very little power, but I understand the joy of hand sewing too. I just can’t do it anymore due to arthritis in my fingers ��
Old 01-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #13
PKI

Yes quilting adds another layer to the RV lifestyle. Quilt shops and museums often influence our travel and it's great to hear that we might meet some of you down the road.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #14

An interesting thread.
As a retired sewing machine mechanic. ( First trade.). I am fascinated at where serious sewers will work at their hobby.
Way to go. Good luck and keep sewing.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quilt, quilting, sew, sewing