Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MTSam last spring we went to a state wildlife refuge about an 1 1/2 hrs from the house and the staff estimated about 16,000 sandhill cranes and 25,000 snow geese on the property. It was quite a site. This same refuge have 3 Whooping cranes that hang out there pretty much all year. I love watching cranes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #44

Back at our older son's spot in mountains of northern NM. He has 40 acres at 7600' and nearest neighbors are parents-in-law about 1/2 mile and sister-in-law and family about the same. No one else for severall miles. Place is 2 miles from Pecos Wilderness.

Have feeders set up and we are getting: Steller's Jays, Pygmy and White Breasted Nuthatches, Hairy and Down Woodpeckers, Dark-eyed Juncos, Rock Dove, Mourning Dove, Crows and Ravens, and Pine Siskins. A beautiful Abert's Squirrel tried to join the feast but the Jays ran him off. I just counted eight Steller's Jays.
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #45

We volunteered at Quivira NRW last Oct/Nov and a big part of the job was to drive the 20k acre refuge and count the whooping cranes passing through. I saw 84 total WC of the 120 that passed through along with 10k+ sand hill cranes. Then we spent the winter volunteering in Patagonia, AZ at a Nature Conservancy Preserve known for rare humming birds and many other rare species. This was my into to birding and now I'm hooked.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #46

Crows have found the feeders. They pull the suet feeders down, open them , and finish them off quickly. They are smart and cooperative. There are 10 out there now feeding off the grain on the ground, where they had knocked the large seed feeder about so that grain spilled
Old 11-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #47

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Downey woodpeckers, redpoles, Hawks - everything from red tails to rough legged, even found a Harlan. Bald eagles. East slope of the Rockies, MT

Grindstone01, that sounds like a great intro! Hey Reed! You’ve got a nice selection going there!
Old 01-08-2018, 07:25 AM   #48

Back on the beach in Yucatan. Had a pair of of Ferruginious PygmyOwls in Coconut Palm by our Roadtrek several mornings ago. Northern Mockingbirds are plentiful. Yellow-throat Warblers are very common
Old 06-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #49

Back at older son’s place in mountains of northern NM. Crows got tired of getting drabs of food from feeder so they tore it down

We are getting Black-chinned and Briad-tailed Hummers at feeders. They sometimes get into fifth wheel and panic when they cannot get out. The Black-chinned just sit in panic and are easily retrieved by hand. Upon release they generally fly backwards 5 to 10 feet and look at me.

We have a friend who is a Lakota elder and his spirit messenger is the Hummingbird. He said that they will do this backward flight to honor you for helping them and you have the thanks if the entire Hummingbird clan

A Broad-tailed came in last week and kept going to windows and skylights but not the open door. I was able to ensure him(definitely a male) in a towel in a skylight. He grabbed a screen as I was about to release him out the door . So I had to let go and back he went into skylight. Caught him again and asked Elaine if she would photograph. She said he had been terrorized quite enough. I released him and he flew a perfectly straight line to the top of a pine tree 150 feet away. He has enough of me and no formal bow if thanks

Reed and Elaine
Old 06-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #50

At younger son’s place (set up in backyard) in Fort Collins, CO. There are a lot of lakes in area and Great Blue Herons are seen daily along with the occasional Osprey and Bakd Eagle. Lots of Nuthatches, Chickadees, and Bluejays
Old 07-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #51

So glad I found this thread. We're on the Oregon coast and see a lot of gulls and cormorants, various hawks... but I did see a bird in a bush I can't identify* and wonder if someone here might know what it is?

(*I usually can't.... my husband jokes that I've discovered more new birds than anyone else)
Attached Images

ellenbehr is offline   Reply With Quote