Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #57

Here is the Red-tailed Hawk Elaine photographed 10 days or so ago at Vedauwoo. He seemed as curious of us as we were of him/her.
Reed and Elaine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red-tailed hawk.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	72381  
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #58

Mid Atlantic Campers
what is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
Cannot tell if attachment of Elegant Euphonia is attached or not
where did you see this one? it looks tropical
Old 08-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #59

Messed up and attached wrong photo. The Elegant Euphonia was taken by wife near Copan, Honduras. Finally got the Red-tailed Hawk
Old 11-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #60

Northern Saw-Whet owl

We were at our older son's place at 8000' in mountains of northern New Mexico and heard an owl several nights. It was a Northern Saw-whet Owl. Listened to it while I played the call from Thayer's on computer and the ap on my cell phone.
Reed and Elaione
Old 11-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #61

Down in La. Ts Cruces, NM. There is a pair of Curve-billed Thrashers hanging about in a small open shed and generally foraging about. They are most handsome birds
Reed and Elaine
Old 11-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
I found your post with joy, having been a addicted wildlife and birdphotographer for the last ten years. My husband and I just bought our first larger diesel to travel around the state parks and birding areas. We are from Southern California and hope to get to New Mexico this year. Hawks, Eagles and any wildlife are my favorite nature ventures!

I,too had cancer, chemo and radiation, and although it aged me some, I plowed through the tough days by photographing nearby birds and did some macro at home. Soon the call of the wild called me back! Linda

I enjoyed all your posts!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #63

Linda and Bob

We are full time RV'ers and primarily boondock in dispersed camping regions of BLM and Forest Service lands ($0/day). We are solar autonomous so we don't have to run a generator and the wildlife comes right up to us.

Attached is one photo showing Bull Moose fighting/sparring within 25 metres of rig at Vedauwoo dispersed CG in Wyoming and then one photo of a Linneated Woodpecker in the tree above us near beach in Yucatan. He/she was by almost every day. We had Cozumel parrots by most days and a Flammulated Owl hooted many nights about 50 metres from us
Reed and Elaine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Linneated Woodpecker.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	80014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bull moose.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	80015  

Old 11-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #64

Linda and Bob

New Mexico State Parks are excellent. It costs $240 or so for an out of state year pass. Primitive camping (no water etc at site but there are restrooms, showers, water points and sewer dumps) is then free. I think powered sites are then $14.

There are a lot of dispersed (free) sites on BLM and Forest Service lands in New Mexico and Arizona. If you are birding, then you probably want to stay at places in SE Arizona such as White Water Draw (14,000 Sandhill Cranes). There are a lot of spots if you get the book "Free" camping, which notes Forest Service and BLM CGs (which are $5/night with a Golden Age Pass)
Reed and Elaine
Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the notes Reed and Elaine! That Linneated Woodpecker is amazing.What a thrill to observe him. Birding is so fun. You guys must be having a blast.

Do we have to buy a years pass regardless? Looking forward to Arizona also. My husband just retired so this is all pretty new to him.
Linda
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #66

We shall be going down to Ecuador and Peru for 12 weeks starting on 7 Feb. We are flying down. Plan to do some birding as we travel. Decided against taking the Swarovski 7x42ELs as they are big and expensive. Called B&H since they had Monarch 7 in 8x30 in used condition for about $100 off. Talked with a B&H rep and he suggested these as well. They were rated 9+ or basically unused. I don't think the box had been opened and they seem excellent. Elaine bought a new Lumix for the trip and these have 30x optical zoom with the Leica lens. Will take a smaller Lumix and a Lumix underwater camera (for Galapagos)
Reed and Elaine
Old 01-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #67

I finally got a chance to stop at Lock and Dam 14 to see the eagles. If you're ever in the area during the winter months it's well worth the time to stop.

Right of I80 on the IL IA state line.

Name:	IMG_2005.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	83412
Old 05-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #68

Returned from Peru a week ago today and are camped on Elephant Butte Lake (New Mexico) for a Mothers' Day celebration with family and friends. Not much besides Ravens, Gulls, Dove, Swallows and some kind of Sparrow that does not wish to be seen. Solar is working grand and harvested 5700 W-hr yesterday (running the fridge on AC).

Saw 230 new species of bird in Ecuador and Peru (out of a possible 2400 or so) to include 15 new hummers (out of a possible 200). Did get to see the Condors at Crux de Condors (the third most visited tourist spot in Peru after Machu Picchu and Nazca Lines - and got 20 new birds near Machu Picchu when we ran into 4 national class Peruvian bird guides out on a birding weekend) and a Giant Hummingbird the same day.

Plan to RV to the Canadian Maritimes (Labrador, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia) this summer.
Reed and Elaine
Old 07-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #69

Elaine had to have a total knee replacement on 1 July so our trip to Maritimes is on hold till next year. Staying at older son's place in the mountains for another month for recuperation and physical therapy. The Rufous hummingbirds are migrating and the local Black-chinned and Broad-tails are hanging about.We are using 2-1 water to sugar mixture since it is migration time and they need to have as much energy stored as possible. The Rufous migrate up the west coast. Some make it to northern Alaska and then come back down the Rockies when the local flowers are blooming. Their migration can be 2500 miles each way. The Calliopes come down later in summer.
Reed and Elaine
Old 07-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #70

The migrating Rufous hummers have turned up in numbers. There were so many flitting about the 2-1 mixture that I changed it to 3-2 so that they only have to refuel half as often. The well known 4-1 ratio is just so that the birds show up 4 times as often at the feeder.
Reed and Elaine