Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Bluegrass Music

I play Bluegrass, Gospel, and Classic Country music, try to find a jam session wherever I go. I have met some really great people playing music and RVing, always go to south Texas around McAllen, loads of winter texans and jams at every RV Park. Highly recommended.
johnzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #2

I'm surprised you didn't get any responses to your post until now. I don't play (except a little dubbing at a keyboard), but I love the music. There are bluegrass festivals in our area (Maine) where many of the musicians and fans camp. My wife is not so keen on them, so I haven't been for a while. I enjoy them, though.
GrampaDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Sirius Bluegrass Junction is my #1 preset in my car and RV. People in NJ think that is very strange!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Tom I'm in NJ and I don't think it's strange. I like it too!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #5

I love Bluegrass! I've got three banjo's - a Fender, a Flint Hill and a Gold Tone. The Gold Tone is a carbon fiber body and is the one I normally take RVing since it will take the most abuse. I keep the Fender with a "D" tuning. Flint Hill is made at the Kentucky Mandolin Factory (which must be in China since that is where it is made). Actually, I find that some musical instruments made in China are very good. Just don't eat any food from there.

We will be in Tonopah, AZ next Nov. and I'm hoping to find a jam or two that will be into making noise - maybe not music but lots of noise. I have a good buddy that is into dobro (sp?)and is getting into banjo that will be with us down there.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #6

I play with the Parking Lot Pickers where we winter in SW FL: tinwhistle, spoons, lap dulcimer. (Not well, I must add, if truth be told.)

Our leader always steers us toward gloomy gospel songs, though, and I'd much rather be playing upbeat, bright, enthusiastic tunes. Old time string band music is my favorite, with folk and bluegrass tied for second.

I'll keep practicing and maybe we'll meet up in some CG somewhere. Keep that iRV2 sticker visible on your rig!

Cheers!
Sue
Old 05-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzuki View Post
I play Bluegrass, Gospel, and Classic Country music, try to find a jam session wherever I go. I have met some really great people playing music and RVing, always go to south Texas around McAllen, loads of winter texans and jams at every RV Park. Highly recommended.

How do you find the jams? I always hear about them after the fact. (Maybe there's a reason for that!) The insects are so ferocious at our park (a whole 'nuther story) that we seldom sit outside for very long, so I don't play where folks can hear. Maybe in the rec hall.

Cheers!
Sue
Old 05-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #8

I'm a picker and a promoter. I run a small festival in Salemburg, NC in April. If anyone is in the Wilmington, NC area looking for a jam I may can point you in the right direction.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #9

If you like Blue Grass, it doesn't get any bluer than Rosine Ky., home of Bill Monroe. Here's a link, they offer free primitive RV parking for the event.
http://www.bluegrassfestivalguide.com/jerusalemridge.htm.
If you get RFD Tv, they have a show every Saturday night at 8:30 PM Central, called "Coumberland Highlanders", also the name of the group. I try and never miss it.
I don't worry about humidity and all that with my guitars, course my EJ 200 probably doesn't notice, just retune it and PLAY.
I'm not going to leave it for someone else to enjoy, and at 70, gotta start thinking about that I'm going to beat it down before I leave!
And I really like that signature,
I thought I was a musician until I met one :ROFLMAO
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #10

Check out Frank Ray in the hall of fame plays in the band Cedar Hill had breakfast with him and a great concert 3 weeks ago Volume Five was there also
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Sirius Bluegrass Junction is my #1 preset in my car and RV. People in NJ think that is very strange!
Ditto! But I moved to GA from the metro NY area and life is good!
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #12

We went here for their 4th of July Blue Grass Festival. Decent RV lot and a great 3 day event with almost constant blue grass music. Then on the 4th they had country western music all day long with fireworks in the evening. They said they do it again in the fall around October. If you go it is right off of I-75, the county they are in is a dry county so come prepared. Very small town with limited facilities near by. No Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot or major grocery stores. Also only a couple of restaurants, but they were quite good.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #13

Somehow I left the link off the last post. Duh! Well, here it is, guess I must have had a brain #$@%. Renfro Valley Entertainment Center - Kentucky's Country Music Capital Live Concerts
Old 11-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #14

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our favorite spot for Bluegrass music is at the Stuart Opry House in Nelsonville, Ohio.