Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coin shooting and relic hunting

I enjoy coin shooting around rest areas and RV parks, we also relic hunt with our metal detectors, and geocache as much as we can, do a little panning and rock hounding while staying in new places.

Anyone else do this? Most of our travels so far have been in Western Colorado and Eastern Utah, BUT hopefully this area will expand this summer to the NW areas.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I dunno, but you had me at metal detector.

Can you tell me more about what coin shooting is? and also what you do with metal DS, plus maybe a recommendation on equipment?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #3

We plan on getting back into Geocaching once we start going full-time. We have visited a lot of the Western States, and several countries, but want to find a geocache in every lower 48 state and as much as Canada as possible.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Oregon View Post
We plan on getting back into Geocaching once we start going full-time. We have visited a lot of the Western States, and several countries, but want to find a geocache in every lower 48 state and as much as Canada as possible.
Now.. geocaching.. this is just for kicks right? Or is there more to it that I don't understand yet?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I dunno, but you had me at metal detector.

Can you tell me more about what coin shooting is? and also what you do with metal DS, plus maybe a recommendation on equipment?
I believe that in the OP's case, it's stopping at rest stops, stepping out with a pistol on his side, then getting his wife to toss a coin up in the air so he can draw and shoot a hole through it.

Geocaching is a hobby that utilizes a GPSR (global positioning system/satellite receiver) to find things hidden by other geocachers. The container is not taken, but the finder does sign the logbook or logsheet, then logs the find on a website that lists the geocache and its coordinates.

The OP may have found one of our caches if he's ever traveled Interstate 10 near the Texas Louisiana border.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I believe that in the OP's case, it's stopping at rest stops, stepping out with a pistol on his side, then getting his wife to toss a coin up in the air so he can draw and shoot a hole through it.

This is an activity that is more fun in large cities on the east coast. The locals must like it, as they get all excited...

Just kidding everyone! Don't get too excited.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #7

We full time and I have a metal detector wherever I go. I like old coins so spend time researching and detecting locations that might hold old coins. I've met some great folks and found some good coins and relics.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Now.. geocaching.. this is just for kicks right? Or is there more to it that I don't understand yet?
Well, geocaching can be explained this way.. You use the governments multi bazillion dollar satellite system and a hand held GPS unit to go out and hunt hidden Tupperware. It all in the hunt and boils down to can someone hide better than you can find. No real award other than being able to say, "I found it!"

More info can be found here https://www.geocaching.com/play

Lots of fun and it can take you to places you never thought of. We found a civil war battlefield in the middle of Oklahoma.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #9

New RV owners here and love coin shooting, live in Pa. but plan on wintering in the west. Would like to here about your experiences and open to suggestions on where to visit.
Cook-Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook-Den View Post
New RV owners here and love coin shooting, live in Pa. but plan on wintering in the west. Would like to here about your experiences and open to suggestions on where to visit.
Congrats on the new RV.

We travel full time and I am always looking for spots to hunt and people to hunt them with.

I use a couple of the more active MD forums to attempt to find locals to hunt with. I have had mixed results, but have made some good finds and have met some great people as a result of the efforts.

Happy hunting!
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #11

Old whites detector

I have an old white detector hardly used. It was $500 back in 1972. It's interesting to use Never found what I wanted it to find that was a buried 3 lb coffee can full of silver coin on the farm.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #12

SO really what is coin shooting?
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
SO really what is coin shooting?
Jay D.
I'm thinking it is looking for coins with a metal detector.

We have a couple of Whites that we've had for a number of years, but I've always wondered where it was legal to use the things. Because of this they haven't been used much.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I'm thinking it is looking for coins with a metal detector.

We have a couple of Whites that we've had for a number of years, but I've always wondered where it was legal to use the things. Because of this they haven't been used much.

Steve

i'm also in the hunt for a metal detector. I've heard a lot about the Whites and they are made locally, i'm in Coos Bay. anyone have anything to say about them and is one model better than the other.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote