Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #1

Computing in an RV?

Wife and I are preparing to RV full time. As you know space becomes a BIG issue. We need to rid ourselves of the large PC's, monitors, speakers and printers.

I'm leaning toward an iPad but have never owned one. I'd love some feedback on using Photoshop Elements, MS Office, Power Point, MS Project and Visio. Need quite a few business apps.

Also, what do you do for data storage? External device, cloud, other?

What are the best options for a printer/scanner? We plan to scan documents as opposed to storing paper (tax returns, contracts, etc.)

Appreciate the feedback!
gcakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Not an ipad... get a good fast laptop but spend no more than $500 (you'll want the newest one in a few years), the Verizon 4620L Hot Spot ($50 a month for 5 gb's) and a wireless combo printer/scanner/copier ( cheap one around $50)
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #3

Good day,

Congrats on going full time you will love it!
This was one of our main concerns also when we went full time 2 years ago. We have iPads and and a powerful laptop. It will do anything we need to do in our day to day computing needs. I use the iPad for surfing the Internet, email, and of course this forum. We have a wireless printer scanner, an HP Envy. We like it but it takes up so much room. We also use a hotspot from AT&T but Verizon works well also. It handles the iPads and computer in most places. If you are staying in an RV park use their Internet, but the hot spot works if we are out some where, like a state park or such but the hotspot is on a cell phone network so if no signal on your phone no Internet.
My computer is a Mac so I don't use MS software but elements works great on my machine. Regarding the iPads, they are great for email and surfing, reading a book or watching a movie or such but for computer work, you will want a computer. I recommend Mac but you can get a good pc laptop and it will do anything you need.
Good luck and happy travels.
jstbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Shop for a nice lap top...plenty on the market. minimum of 4 GB ram and a nice sized HDD. I like the wide screen models.

i-Pad and other tablet models are too limited in their applications.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on the iPad and Mac's. They do cost more than a PC however their support is fantastic. If you have a iPhone all devices work together so well and you can access everything you do with iCloud.
Sorry I know this sounds like an Apple commercial but I'm a PC convert and never been more pleased.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pretty soon, you will be able to do everything on iPads and other tablets. Tax returns canned documents, etc. Unless you operate a business, I can't see the use for any of the laptops or desktops. Windows has a very interesting tablet coming out. It looks like they have an attachment that can be used as a cover, keyboard, or stand. It looks pretty neat. They may be finally entering the 21st century.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #7

La Gringa developes software on an RDP setup in NJ via a VPN she can establish from anywhere with decent DSL equivalent internet. This is what allowed us to try this living-on-a-tropical-island experience we're presently in our 8th year of. She develops software and I do some basic writing, some CAD type stuff, and image processing. She has an iPad and likes it, but uses a laptop for work. I really wanted to move from a laptop to an iPad, but after exploring the keyboard input choices and photo image handling and various other features, we've sadly concluded that a laptop is even a better choice for my puny blog and story writing activities.

Someone described the difference to me along the lines of "an iPad is a good choice for content consumers, but a PC is a better choice for a content creator".
Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #8

I would't try to use an ipad as your primary computer, they're really designed as an adjunct to your laptop. In your shoes, I'd consider getting two apple laptops, then if you do want a tablet go ahead and get the ipad, or do the same thing on the windows side. I've switched to apple products, mostly for the profusion of apps that are out there.
Good Luck
JT
tatonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jcackia,

You can see where this is going. A laptop is going to be necessary for what you propose. As others propose, an iPad or other tablet would be a good adjunct to the laptop to allow the other person Internet access while the other is working. If you are both working via the computer I suggest two laptops.

I am partial to Macs, but also have a Window laptop for the occasional program that is not available in Mac version. That said, many have used Bootcamp or VMFusion to run windows on Mac.

I am running Photoshop and the full Office suite on my Mac Book now. Have run Mac versions of Project years ago, but do not know if it is still available. Also do not know if there is a Mac Visio, but a quick check online would tell you.

As for storage and backup a USB drive works great for me. On the Mac backing up is a very simple matter.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another nice to have is a wifi extender. I am using one now. With out it I cannot get the parks wifi in the MH, with it excellent signal. I use one by Alfa Network that plugs into a usb port on the PC or a wireless router.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A whole skew of new combo PC/tablets are soon coming with the advent of Windows 8. The goodness of both in one. Much change and new innovations soon to come from many computing companies.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #12

Rick long pretty much nailed it, except I would consider a smart phone instead of a separate mifi unit. The correct smart phone with foxfi and pdanet apps allow you to have Internet with you plus turn the phone into a hotspot when you want to.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
A whole skew of new combo PC/tablets are soon coming with the advent of Windows 8. The goodness of both in one. Much change and new innovations soon to come from many computing companies.
Not really both in one. Win 8 will come in two different versions, one that runs on Intel chips and will run existing Windows apps. The other (Windows RT) runs on ARM chips and will be used for tablets. It can't run existing apps.

So you're either going to get a tablet, maybe with the keyboard so it's a pseudo-laptop (but can't run existing apps), or you're going to get a real laptop.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If space is the issue there is really not much difference between a workable tablet and a lap top. I see folks getting keyboard for the tablet , covers and things that hold it upright, you know like a lap top. I'm not partial either way and I do not have a tablet. My wife has a business and lap top has been plenty good enough and small enough woth plenty of juice.

Printers come in every size and configuration. They are not expensive until you begin buying ink. Ink consumption should be a factor in your decision. We use the HP Office Jet 8600 plus, it scans prints faxes copies. I saw one on sale yesterday for $179.00 at Costco. It may be bigger than you want but they come in all differing sizes. We like the 8600 because it can fax a bunch of copies and we do not have to load them one at a time.

I'm again not selling the HP because it may not be the most economical to operate. Cannon and others make really excellent printers. A few shopping trips to Best Buy, Costco, and a review of consumers reports would narrow your field in a hurry.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote