Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #43

The price of a good fly rod. Lol.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherW View Post
Drone. Isn't it bit costly.
Not when compared to the 40 foot motorhome I drive!!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #45

I was wondering if anyone has tried the DJI Spark? I had a first generation
DJI Phantom before they came with cameras or gimbals and configured a GoPro for it, but it is really dated and really too big to lug around in the RV for me. I know it's not the aircraft that the Mavic is, but I was thinking of using it for some shots for my blog. I don't like the fact that it has only 1080 30fps and a shorter flight time, but even buying a controller and a couple extra batteries it is a $400 or $500 less than a Mavic when you buy extra batteries and accessories. Like someone else said, I normally like to get in the air quickly, get my shot and then land.

Also, because of the small size of the Spark it seems like it would be perceived by others as a little less threatening too.

Appreciate any comments.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #46

I would like to reinvigorate my original question again after reading some of your comments, watching more drone videos on Youtube, and taking a long trip out west this summer. Again, my original question was trying to ask whether RVers (in the U.S.) have enough good opportunities to use drones during RV travel to make it worth buying an expensive aerial camera. Many or most of the drone videos I see on-line appear to be from islands and foreign countries, where the laws presumably may not be as strict. But how about in the US where most RVers will be traveling? We took a 6 week trip this summer across the US from the East Coast to Colorado and Utah. I could not find many (almost no) opportunities where we would be allowed to use a drone, because most of the scenic places we went were either National or State Parks or campgrounds where flying over people would be a problem. So again, for those of you who have drones, how much opportunity have you had using drones during RV travel? And what types of places do you use them (in the US)? Or do you find it too restrictive to use in the US for this type of travel? The US certainly has many scenic places to photograph. But I continue to hold out buying a drone until I find enough good places where I can actually use it.
EVO-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO-Bob View Post
I would like to reinvigorate my original question again after hearing some of your comments, watching further videos on Youtube, and taking a long trip out west this summer. Again, my original question was whether RVers (in the U.S.) have enough good opportunities to use drones during RV travel. Many or most of the drone videos I see on-line appear to be from islands and foreign countries, where the laws presumably may not be as strict. But how about in the US where most RVers will be traveling? We took a 6 week trip this summer across the US from the East Coast to Colorado and Utah. I could not find many (almost no) opportunities where we would be allowed to use a drone, because most of the scenic places we went were either National or State Parks or campgrounds where flying over people would be a problem. So again, for those of you that have drones, how much opportunity have you had using drones during RV travel? And what types of places do you use them (in the US)? Or do you find it too restrictive to use in the US for this type of travel? The US certainly has many scenic places to photograph. But I continue to hold out buying a drone until I find a good place where I can actually use it.
Hi,
I don't use it as much as I would like. However I do take it each time. I have been able to use it CO and AZ so far. Next year I hope to use it in Utah. I am ultra sensitive about being courteous and not flying over campgrounds (unless empty) or anywhere I think it can bother someone. That can kill the thought of using it more often than not. They are loud and many people feel an invasion of privacy (rightfully so) if they are flying directly overhead.

I have had luck taking the truck on a drive to find a good place well away from people. I will still always bring it since it fits nicely in my side of the closet.

I have witnessed people flying them in crowded areas and in thoughtless manners. I have also witnessed tribal police asking someone to land and then threatened to take the drone. They were let go with the drone and warning.

Like many things, it only take a few dummies to give something a bad wrap.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Hi,
I don't use it as much as I would like. However I do take it each time. I have been able to use it CO and AZ so far. Next year I hope to use it in Utah. I am ultra sensitive about being courteous and not flying over campgrounds (unless empty) or anywhere I think it can bother someone. That can kill the thought of using it more often than not. They are loud and many people feel an invasion of privacy (rightfully so) if they are flying directly overhead.

I have had luck taking the truck on a drive to find a good place well away from people. I will still always bring it since it fits nicely in my side of the closet.

I have witnessed people flying them in crowded areas and in thoughtless manners. I have also witnessed tribal police asking someone to land and then threatened to take the drone. They were let go with the drone and warning.

Like many things, it only take a few dummies to give something a bad wrap.
That sounds like you have to make a purposeful side trip in your truck to find a place to use it away from any civilization. I'm afraid that doesn't sound like enough opportunity to me.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #49

I would fall in the camp that feels the noise from drones is obnoxious. My next door neighbor had one and was very irresponsible with it. I would be very upset if I were in an RV park and one was buzzing overhead. I can’t imagine any responsible RV park owner allowing them.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #50

I have replied to this thread about 4 times since it first started ,,, here is my 1st repley,,, I've been flying a Phantom 2 taking pictures for a couple years now with no issues. But I'm very careful of where I fly so I don't bother people. I mainly like to carry it in my backpack and get shots of rivers, lakes, waterfalls ect. but I do like to get shots of where we camp when away from larger parks.
I also fly RC planes and can tell you I have crashed the planes 100% more times than the drone LOL!!,,,
We still travel fulltime and even though I have switched from the Phantom I did buy a Mavic Pro and use it when I see fit. I normally always have it with me in the truck during driving tours.
I have always found places away from people to fly just to avoid confrontation but if someone happens along while I'm in the air I just keep doing what I'm doing but have never had an issue.
Not long ago we drove down by a river and 2 people were sitting on the rocks, I asked them if they minded if I went up for a few pictures promising to not get them in the shots, they simply thanked me for asking and had no issue. If you use common sense and most people are not going to give you any crap unless they are really just a grumpy old **** by nature.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #51

Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #52

Love my Mavic it’s amazing filming our RC boat races, the new props from the Platinum version are supposed to be 30% less obnoxious
Big trip coming up for us, taking our Forester from Calgary to Las Vegas for the RC Nationals, nitro, gas and electric boats in 6 days of racing.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #53

I have the Phantom 3S. Love it. Fly it on all of our trips never any issues. Just got back from San Diego and flew it many times over the rv park for shots of my RV, out over the bay for sunsets, and when dark for the city lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0029.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	178917   Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0051.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	178918  

V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
I would fall in the camp that feels the noise from drones is obnoxious. My next door neighbor had one and was very irresponsible with it. I would be very upset if I were in an RV park and one was buzzing overhead. I can’t imagine any responsible RV park owner allowing them.
Then you haven't been around drones nor people that know how or where to fly them much. Craft like the Mavic are almost silent, even at 20'. After that they can be flown way farther than they can be seen, so it is not a problem for someone blocks from the CG to fly in and zip around the aisles and leave with the pilot nowhere to be seen. This is a still developing technology, but it's here to stay.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Then you haven't been around drones nor people that know how or where to fly them much. Craft like the Mavic are almost silent, even at 20'. After that they can be flown way farther than they can be seen, so it is not a problem for someone blocks from the CG to fly in and zip around the aisles and leave with the pilot nowhere to be seen. This is a still developing technology, but it's here to stay.

The new Mavic Platinum to be released soon is designed to be 60% quieter too.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I have the Phantom 3S. Love it. Fly it on all of our trips never any issues. Just got back from San Diego and flew it many times over the rv park for shots of my RV, out over the bay for sunsets, and when dark for the city lights.
Thanks. This is the type of information and pictures I am looking for. I'd appreciate any other comments and photos from others to see the circumstances the drone may be used while RVing.

Tags
cat