Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #1

Fishing- plain 'ol drown a worm bank fishing

I'm surprised. As popular as fishing is in the USA we don't seem to have many with interest in conversing about this pass time. There seems to be a dearth of anyone interested in just sitting on the bank and fishing. Several threads about fly fishing (OK been there, done that years ago). But, most folks in the USA fish from shore somewhere.

I don't see any threads on places to go where there is fair to good shore fishing nearby.
Maybe we need to list places so some of us can plan our RVing around going to those places? Might be kind of fun to meet at different places and have a big fish contest or catch and cook gathering? Think about going to somewhere in southern Oregon and catch salmon and then have a cook off for the best preparation. How about somewhere in Texas for catfish and have a catfish fry in the afternoon? Oregon beach fishing for redtail perch. Lots of videos on uyube on that.

I know I would plan trips around places to fish if I had info on places to try where others had been.

I know there are lots of places where some of you have been. Why not share and met? I live on the shores of Lake Powell on the AZ and Utah border BUT shore fishing is very limited here. 99% is done in boats. Smallmouth Bass by the millions inhabit the lake, largemouth bass in much lesser numbers. Striped bass by the hundreds of thousands and NO limit on catching them! 2-5 pound fish. I've caught 30 in 45 mins at times BUT in a boat. Walleye- NO LIMIT ON KEEPING THEM! If you can catch them. This fishery (walleye) is just getting started as a target species here. No one really has a handle on how to catch them after about April in the year. Spawning time seems to be the best time.
Catfish - 25 per day but mostly an evening and night time sport. Lots of bluegill and green sunfish. Crappie are running low due to water level fluctuations. Short limit on them.
Again. most of this is from boats.

Go read the Utah fishery biologist's website for the lake for up to date info and what is working. He makes a weekly entry

https://wayneswords.net/

Close by (1-2 hrs drive west) are Tropic Res. and Pine Lake in Utah. Both can be fished from shore for a variety of trout. Pine Lake however (its good fishing usually and has a small campground right nearby) has the trout feeding on snails in the lake so they taste kind of muddy when eaten. Both can be fished from shore easily. Several more a little further away that I can get into later

Maybe if we all add just one place to fish we might get a long list to use for setting up our travels?

Anyone know how to fish Lake Amistad in west Texas? Have been by it 4 times but haven't fished it as I have no information on it. Looks like a good catfish lake though. If it is and its fishable in the winter, I might stay a few days there.

OK there's my start, how about everyone adding to the mix?
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #2

We've fished from the shore at R. Schaefer Heard Park in West Point, Georgia. Caught some Brim (if you don't have a Georgia fishing license I believe you can get a per day license for a fee).

We've been told about good fishing at Wind Creek State Park in Alabama. Beautiful park, pull-thrus, paved..but again you have to have an Alabama license or purchase a daily license for a fee.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #3

For those in Kanab Utah there is the Jackson Flat Reservoir 5 mins south of town center that has trout fishing. Electric boats only or shore fishing. Fishing from the dam requires traversing large boulders down the face for about 50 feet. Utah license required. Lots of bluegill in the weeds east side in the shallows.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #4

Hubby loves to shore fish each and every chance he gets. Most recent was around New Mexico, and the State Parks where we stayed on fishing days, were awesome for that for the most part back in May. He even caught his first Tiger Muskie

One tip that might be good to know for some of you. Check areas such as in California and Florida, about whether or not you need a license for Pier fishing. In the past we've bought licenses in these places to be told in many jurisdictions, don't need one for on the pier, but if you are on the shore/beach/sand you do. Just a heads up that might save some of us "non-residents" a buck or two.

It's all about the fish in our household
SoonToBeFT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeFT View Post
Hubby loves to shore fish each and every chance he gets. Most recent was around New Mexico, and the State Parks where we stayed on fishing days, were awesome for that for the most part back in May. He even caught his first Tiger Muskie

One tip that might be good to know for some of you. Check areas such as in California and Florida, about whether or not you need a license for Pier fishing. In the past we've bought licenses in these places to be told in many jurisdictions, don't need one for on the pier, but if you are on the shore/beach/sand you do. Just a heads up that might save some of us "non-residents" a buck or two.

It's all about the fish in our household
What state parks were you in?
Old 10-23-2018, 01:50 AM   #6

Blue Water Lake - Tiger Muskie

Caballo - slow but caught more in the evenings - Bass and Walleye
Elephant Butte - early morning's were easy 22+ within an hour half of Bass

Brantley Lake - Bass, Carp, Walleye. Was really slow here he found.

An odd Trout here and there caught in the northern rivers.

Other locations: Where we live here in Alberta tons of bank fishing on the Bow River, and around the reservoirs and larger lakes earlier this year - trout (spring & fall), walleye, pike mainly rest of the time.

Occasionally he'll kayak fish, particularly in Florida, but his favourite place down there for fishing on shore is "The Jetties and Venice Pier" especially during the Golden hour in the morning for flounder, pompano, mackerel, and at nights on the pier for sharks. Also he likes up near Tampa Fla, the Skyway bridges.

To be frank, we've found tons of bank/shore/pier/bridges/nearby boat launches fishing opportunities wherever we've RV'd throughout the USA and Canada, usually do a huge search of our route for shore fishing opportunities as we travel.

I'm just the fishing widow sigh .......
SoonToBeFT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:03 PM   #7

My wife loves to shore fish sitting in a chair but no fish for 1 hr and she's done.

We found a nice place in upper MO with Brush Mountain Guides for trout on the river. We had a great time.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #8

We used to go to a golf coarse in Saluda SC and fish the ponds . These ponds were well stocked , on some days literally as soon as you threw your hook in , you would get a bite. My brother caught 60 bream one afternoon in a couple of hours. This is the only kinda fishin I ever had any luck at, I have never caught a fish with a lure of any sort, only a worm, cork .
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
I fish in the NW region (OR,WA,ID,MT,UT)
Fish only for trout, kokanee,steelhead/silvers,walleye, salmon, etc.

If I cannot clearly see the rocks on the bottom, I go somewhere else.I do not do muddy or trash/polluted waters.
Worms/eggs/and Repalla type lures.... Never got into the fly fishing thing..arms/shoulders won't allow...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fish Texas State Parks from shore FREE.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #11

Right now Iooking out the window at a guy ice fishing about 10 yards from shore in a shallow pond that was stocked with Rainbow trout in December. He's pulling them in about one every five minutes.
He had a fishing buddy until a moment ago. A Blue Heron landed on the ice about 10 yards from him and waited patiently for a handout. The guy threw him two fish which he quickly downed then flew off. I guess he was full. Both the fish and the birds seem to be hungry with the all the ponds here completely frozen over.
The guy is just now leaving. I assume he got his limit.
I'm not really a fisherman with so many projects to work on with my coach but I thought it was cool to watch.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #12

I'd drive 2500 miles to catch some nice smallmouth bass.

I also love fishing for big Bluegills on an ultralight rig with 2# line.

My dream trips... Minnesota and states out west.

Have RV.... will travel.
Camper25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lake FDR in NE WA. 150 miles long to Canada, 630 miles of shoreline. Many parks and camp spots. Grand Coulee Dam. Ft. Spokane NP.

https://www.nps.gov/laro/index.htm

It's kinda my front yard.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #14

We take a boat with us to the many lakes within a couple of hrs away. We make lots of 2 to 4 day trips. Good Bass , Northern Pike and Walleye fishing. Most of the lakes only have a few spots for boondock camping.