Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #1

Talking flowers, flowers... everywhere.

I must have flowers and a small garden. We're snow-birding here in FL and I already have pots of flowers on our site. I also have pots of tomatoes and peppers and an eggplant. Other SBs come over to admire the blooms and talk to the three kitties in the screen room. I hope we have room to haul them all home next month.

When we go camping I always bring at least one nice flowering potted plant with us.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have been wanting to get some potted plants, but didn't know how that would work out. I guess if I fix up an area in the basement for when we are on the road, and then set out when we stop, that might work. What kind of screen house do you have for your cats. Ours is always trying to get out and occasionally sneaks by us and we were wanting to get something for her that was safe. Do you have any pics?
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #3

When you pot your plants to do you do anything to help reduce the weight? I've seen a tip for decks where you fill the bottom half of the pot with packing peanuts to reduce the weight on the structure. I'm thinking of doing this when we get out on the road if I acquire any new plants. I might replant the one peace lily that's in a clay pot into something plastic so it'll be lighter and more break resistant. One more thing for the to do list.
EricandAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Wish I had a "green thumb",seems like I don't have much luck with potted flowers.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #5

If yu motor thru Tx soon, be sure to take the bluebonnet route. Imagine you can get info on google. Read this year should be fantastic
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
I have been wanting to get some potted plants, but didn't know how that would work out. I guess if I fix up an area in the basement for when we are on the road, and then set out when we stop, that might work. What kind of screen house do you have for your cats. Ours is always trying to get out and occasionally sneaks by us and we were wanting to get something for her that was safe. Do you have any pics?
We have a smaller one that hangs on the outside of the TT. They come and go through a window. Then we have the Gander Mountain screenroom with a floor so they can't escape. We let them out there for the afternoon. We carry them out. It breaks the monotny for them as we have boxes, a cat tree, lawn chairs, recliners, etc in the screen room.

I can post pics later, as soon as we've reinstalled all our software on the other PC that crashed yesterday. :(

Potted plants need light and wont survive long in a dark storage area.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricandAlice View Post
When you pot your plants to do you do anything to help reduce the weight? I've seen a tip for decks where you fill the bottom half of the pot with packing peanuts to reduce the weight on the structure. I'm thinking of doing this when we get out on the road if I acquire any new plants. I might replant the one peace lily that's in a clay pot into something plastic so it'll be lighter and more break resistant. One more thing for the to do list.
No, I use regular potting soil. My plants ride in a box in the bath tub when we're on the road.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoststories View Post
Wish I had a "green thumb",seems like I don't have much luck with potted flowers.
Anyone can grow flowers and houseplants. The information is everywhere, from libraries to the Internet. I learned by reading books before the internet came along.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #9

OK... this is the outdoor "enclosure" the cats use when we're traveling or snowbirding in FL. I don't have any pics of the Gander Mountain screenroom with floor.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to garytut&twooie Send a message via Skype™ to garytut&twooie
Hi!
I am planning on taking a few small carnivorous plants and two orchids. My DH has built a spot to put the water pan I'll be keeping them in. The only thing I will need is distilled water for both types of plants. The soil is mainly peet moss, vermiculite, perlite (spelling,i know...) and chunks of bark (for the orchids) and is quite light. If nothing else, I'd have to take at least one plant....I'm gonna miss my roses.
garytut&twooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garytut&twooie View Post
Hi!
I am planning on taking a few small carnivorous plants and two orchids. My DH has built a spot to put the water pan I'll be keeping them in. The only thing I will need is distilled water for both types of plants. The soil is mainly peet moss, vermiculite, perlite (spelling,i know...) and chunks of bark (for the orchids) and is quite light. If nothing else, I'd have to take at least one plant....I'm gonna miss my roses.
Plants travel very well as long as they get light and are watered. It's only 2 days down to FL so they do fine for me. Orchids are very good travelers.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to garytut&twooie Send a message via Skype™ to garytut&twooie
Thanks for the info! It's good to know. My biggest problem so far is trying to keep my cp's warm. This house is big and it's still too cold here for them to go into summer mode. Moving into the coach will be better for them because of the small space.
thanks again
marian
garytut&twooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Well I have been toying with the idea of taking my pots of herbs with me and you have convinced me to take them! I love to cook with fresh herbs and since I am already going to be missing my garden this will help me through the month of July and our travels; plus I will have my fresh herbs to cook with. Thanks for the encouragement RanCarr
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote