Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Tell us about your interest in fly fishing. Where are your favorite places to camp and fish? Do you tie your own flies? What kind of gear do you have or wish you had? Any trips planned in the near future?

I have only been fly fishing for a few years and have done a few days with guide. I think it helps me tremendously to learn the local patterns and hatch. I have grown to love the solitude, where catching fish is just a bonus. I want to try to incorporate it into our travels as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0902.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	528.7 KB
ID:	185752  

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #2

Have fly rods, never used that way.

Well I have 2 Fenwick fly rods but have not used them in the traditional way you are.

They are 6 wieght and I use them with filled with floro #8 test and troll them on the surface dragging streamers, Joe's smelt, for Landlocked Salmon on Quabbin res.
I don't make my own flies, I buy them from a local tackle shop that ties them for me.

I mostly Bass fish now in Maine and a few trips to Quabbin thrown in. I have a boat I would like to take with me when RV'ing but I'm having issues with hauling everything.

I'd like to be fishing Falcon lake in Texas on the Bass boat vs standing on the bank wishing my boat was there.

Here's where I need help. How to get the DW to tow the Bass boat while I'm towing RV.

Seems simple to me but for some reason DW wasn't impressed with my plan.

I think it's a great plan.

Or I might need to learn how to actually cast my fly rods from shore.

FirstRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Good luck with that one. Maybe you can look at a fishing kayak or inflatable to at least get you out on the water. They make some really nice inflatables that are very compact for traveling. Sea Eagle Fishing Kayaks

I recently added a Fenwick Aetos 5Wt and Sage reel. I have been pleased with it. I've had some luck with bass using a popper dropper pattern. My favorite is kayak assisted wading in trout streams.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #4

I love going to Gunnison, CO KOA. You can walk to the river. Plenty of great fishing all over the area. I do not tie my own.
Jake21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #5

Iíve been hooked for 30 years since living in Jasper National Park working for the railroad. Now Iím retired in Calgary with the Bow River 10 minutes away. I did a bit of guiding years ago and still have my drift boat. But Iím loving my Hobie Pro Angler kayak itís the most comfortable boat Iíve fished from. I put the Bassyaks electric motor kit on it and itís amazing hands free control. Iíve been using it on the trophy trout lakes in BC and offshore on Vancouver island for salmon. I had a custom trailer made to pull the kayak and a 50cc Yamaha behind the MH. My other passion is warm water flyfishing and try to make a trip annually to the flats for bonefish, permit, and tarpon or bluewater for billfish. Iíve collected a bunch of rods over the years and still use a couple Sageís I built in the Ď80ís, the MH gets loaded up with tying stuff and if the wifeís away the dinette barely has room to sit down amidst the piles of fur and feathers.Click image for larger version

Name:	101-0144_IMG.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	678.6 KB
ID:	186014Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2766.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	482.3 KB
ID:	186015Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame-24-06-2016-06-26-21.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	186016Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3530.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	186020Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2511.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	186021
Old 12-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
That's some serious fishing there Tombsy. I love your Hobie and I love love your drift boat. I also enjoy rowing.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #7

Yes love the fly rods. Started in 60, started my wife in 02, FT for a year and a half We are from the Smokies and fish out west also. We do tie our flies and build our rods. We carry a canoe. No room for anything else
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
That's some serious fishing there Tombsy. I love your Hobie and I love love your drift boat. I also enjoy rowing.

Great to have a rower, we used to trade off after 20 min or a 20Ē fish which ever came first.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #9

Fly Fishing

Great set up and wonderful RV fishing adventures I am sure... question,... do you find it difficult to fly fish out of your Hobie... I would assume you would hang up your fly line often with that kayak set up... Tight lines
gillbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillbuster View Post
Great set up and wonderful RV fishing adventures I am sure... question,... do you find it difficult to fly fish out of your Hobie... I would assume you would hang up your fly line often with that kayak set up... Tight lines
It's not bad at all, the front deck is huge and I don't usually have the peddles in. I set up my accessories depending on what I'm doing everything can slide on the Hobie rails so it's easy to adjust things. I don't find it any worse than my drift boat usually the hangups are standing on your line

Chironomid fishing for the big guys is sometimes more waiting than casting lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_144f.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	186100  
Tombsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Tell us about your interest in fly fishing. Where are your favorite places to camp and fish? Do you tie your own flies? What kind of gear do you have or wish you had? Any trips planned in the near future?

I have only been fly fishing for a few years and have done a few days with guide. I think it helps me tremendously to learn the local patterns and hatch. I have grown to love the solitude, where catching fish is just a bonus. I want to try to incorporate it into our travels as much as possible.
Scott... I am so jealous however I'm really glad to see yourself enjoying Life...great photo...It doesn't get any better than that my friend.

All the best, safe and happy travels and may you always have a great place to "wet a fly"...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:25 PM   #12

Hook up your RV and head for the Bull Shoals/White River State Park in Arkansas. The White River is arguably the best trout fishing river in the world, and you can camp right on the river. And you can fish anywhere from shore all along the campground. And there's always a chance to catch a world record brown trout. It used to come from here; I don't know where the record is now.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Hook up your RV and head for the Bull Shoals/White River State Park in Arkansas. The White River is arguably the best trout fishing river in the world, and you can camp right on the river. And you can fish anywhere from shore all along the campground. And there's always a chance to catch a world record brown trout. It used to come from here; I don't know where the record is now.
That's my intention in early June. I have to be at a race in MO and plan to check it out on the way back to Texas.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post

Thatís Doug Swishers home waters, one of my fly fishing heroes. Iíve seen some amazing videos of the browns on the White eating dries.