RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fly tying

My fingers are tired and I'm using to much roaming data. Are there any fly tiers out there. Do you use them. And do you have any any luck with them. What pattern do you enjoy. Just wondering

Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #2

If you're looking to catch trout on top, the Spotlight Callibaetis can't be beat, IMHO! Or the adult, Adams can bring 'em in, too!

Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #3

My flies work but never as well as my buddies lol. I've been tying for 30 some years I guess, I have a handful of flies I use locally here for trout on the Bow River, a bunch of chironomids and other lake flies for British Columbia, some salmon flies for the coast, and a bunch of flats flies for chasing bonefish, permit, and tarpon when I get a chance to go south. I still take 4 bags of tying stuff with me in the motorhome on fishing trips . A stomach pump is handy for "matching the hatch". Dry flies or any sight fishing is my favorite for sure.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

Lake Flies

While fly fishing in British Columbia, check out website with Denny Rickards, www.flyfishstillwaters.com - Fly Fishing Stillwaters... many of his flies are spot on for stillwater trout fishing... As for dry fly fishing no one can compare to Marc Petitjean, his CDC flies catch fish... check out

Tightlines
gillbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #5

Brian Chan is a Chironomid master , we usually see him and the Sportfishing on the Fly tv show guys on the hot lakes in the spring. https://youtu.be/36okoS5wDy0
Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #6

While traveling throughout the West the last two years, I've found the best source of local information about fishing is at a fly shop. I usually bring in an area map so they can show me places to go and I mark up the map with highlighter. The folks at the fly shops are generally very friendly and helpful. I always buy some flies from them as a form of repayment. You could then copy the flies that are known to work in the area you're in.
GGpuravida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #7

It was a long cold winter of Netflix and fly tying but getting ready to head to British Columbia for a few weeks of chasing big slab rainbows. Been stocking up on chironomids and micro-leeches.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5744.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	568.8 KB
ID:	242245
Old 04-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #8

Outstanding looking flies ... you should real well with them ...
Old 04-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #9

Check out Denny Richards he’s a well known BC trout fisherman there ... I tie a lot of his fly patterns
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #10

John Kent’s chironomid patterns are amazing too. No matter how many I tie up the ones that are working will be different, even from day to day lol. I take all my tying stuff and use the stomach pump to help tie up the next days bugs. Can really do some amazing chironies now with the new “Buzzer Wrap” and all the new coloured UV resins.
I went a little crazy with blobs and boobies but the blobs were killing it last year for the daphnia after ice out.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5711.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	242403
Old 04-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #11

Hoping for more of these guys on the 4 weight in my kayak.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5315.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	242405