Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #1

For anyone with an interest in metal detecting

We full time and I really enjoy metal detecting. I like pulling old coins and other neat old stuff out of the ground.
I do my best to find locals to hunt with. I have had limited success with this, but have met some great people and made some good finds I would not have made in my limited time in a new area.

My question - Is there interest here to put together a group [moderator edit] where we can locate other travelers to hunt with and share hunt locations we have found in our travels.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd520 View Post
We full time and I really enjoy metal detecting. I like pulling old coins and other neat old stuff out of the ground.
I do my best to find locals to hunt with. I have had limited success with this, but have met some great people and made some good finds I would not have made in my limited time in a new area.

My question - Is there interest here to put together a group (on here or maybe Rvillage) where we can locate other travelers to hunt with and share hunt locations we have found in our travels.
I am enthusatic about metal detecting also and if such a group existed I would participate.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sure

C&SL
05 Sig
Old 05-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #4

Sure! I'll join if all the members will contribute 50% of their findings. All I've ever found are old beer cans and a grand total of 26 cents.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Sure! I'll join if all the members will contribute 50% of their findings. All I've ever found are old beer cans and a grand total of 26 cents.

Sounds like you just need to research and get out more. Lots of interesting metal items in the ground.

Finding someone with experience to do a few hunts with would help with the learning curve.

Oh, and I am not going to share my finds
Old 05-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Metal Detecting

I also enjoy metal detecting, however mostly do it alone and really don't know or connect with anyone else who luvs the sport. Yes I am a little old lady, not sooo old, not so little, but I luv getting mine out at new and unknown places. Of course always following MD etiquette and laws. I have found some interesting items like musket balls. My greatest interest would be some day helping those individuals find lost items after having been through devastating events like tornadoes.

Right now I am in a more seasonal site camping experience, having gotten tired of hauling my rig. I'm in the Adirondacks for a second year and just beginning to have the chance to do some exploring, and searching with my M D.

I think you should start a group and begin a consistent conversation and sharing for others who wish to be involved.
kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:39 AM   #7

Tough job. isn't it?
Joseph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #8

Metal detecting

I have been doing that for the past 25 years. I retired in 2002 from the FAA and over the past 6 years have dug over 40,000 coins, over 1,000 silver coins (all dimes, quarters and haves made before 1965 are 90% silver) and get out about 4 or 5 times a week. I started keeping an Excel spreadsheet detailing the hunt with pictures and a daily log.

The newest detectors in the 800 to 2500 range, all tell you what is there and how deep! All it takes a a bit of learning and listening to what the machine is telling you.

My best find was a ladies 'cocktail' ring, brand new with a copper band around the band, made somewhere in the late 1049's, with 18 diamonds and no stone in the center. Happened to fit my wife. Whoooda think? Oldest coin is a 1799 1/2 Reale.

To me it is a great way to keep in shape, lots of bending, kneeling, digging, swatting bugs, avoiding snakes, and meeting really great people.
Jas415-1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #9

I've been detecting for a few years with a Tesoro. I have yet to find any old coins but I've hunted a few old houses. My coolest find was an 1800s (?) full brass 12 ga shot gun shell I found in the middle of nowhere.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I've been detecting for a few years with a Tesoro. I have yet to find any old coins but I've hunted a few old houses. My coolest find was an 1800s (?) full brass 12 ga shot gun shell I found in the middle of nowhere.
You live in a great area for old coins and civil war era items. I've found some good items in MO. We will be back again in Sept-Oct of this year. Plan to do a lot of detecting while I'm there.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I've got one of Garrett's ACE 150 "Yeller Feller" and a White's DFX. I kinda fell out of the hobby a few years back but want to get back in. The wife's showing an interest as well so that'll be fun. I'd like to combine RVing with detecting because it seems like a great way to get around and explore new areas.

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:18 AM   #12

A ggod tip for finding spots is to take a look at the nearest county or city to see if it requires 'permits' to demolish a home or building. Those 'sold' permits are public information and in many cases are available online. Check them out, go to the tax assessor online and check out the owners and age of the home and target homes occupied prior to whatever date you think might allow for old stuff to be there. Many cities and states have LOTS or laws regarding damaging property, trespassing, etc. . Many city parks are open to detecting as long as the person doesnt damage anything.
Jas415-1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #13

How can you dig stuff up without damaging anything? How do you know where to go?
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancybninja View Post
How can you dig stuff up without damaging anything? How do you know where to go?
Experienced detectorists use a device called a pinpointer that helps narrow down where to dig. I'll often overdig then try to locate the item by hand once it's out of the hole. As far as where to go, it depends on what you want to try to find. Some guys search parks for coins (new and old), others like relics, civil war artifacts, etc... I live an an old town and use plat maps from the early 1900s to determine where old houses used to be then get permission to search those sites.