Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

Golf Carts?

What is your favorite brand of golf cart? Also electric or gas powered?

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 05:59 AM   #2

We have a Club Car. Good ride and reliability. 48 volt with 6 8 volt batteries. 6 new batteries cost close to $700. Replaced at 12 years. I like batteries because the cart is quiet and does not smell. If you purchase a older battery cart. Get a electronic charger. It will save your batteries and cart. We use our cart on our property. Do not use it at a RV park.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Do not use it at a RV park.
Thank you!

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I have an EZGO electric, about 8 years old, love it. We bought it at about 3 years old, reconditioned from a local golf cart store and it is just like new. Saved a couple thou over a new one, and we were able to customize the paint and upholstery to our liking.

Speeds vary on electric carts. Some max out at 12 or 15 mph, others can go 20 or 25. Some are quiet, some noisy. So test them out before buying. The brand is not crucial. Its like a Chevy vs Ford thing.

I know nothing about gas carts except that I don't want one because I don't want to deal with noise, fumes, and gas cans.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #5

A lot of RV parks will not let you use a gas cart.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Yamaha 48 v electric and happy with it. As mentioned the electric is smooth and quiet, the gas is noisier. I live in a big golf area where probably 90% of the carts are gas. Decision pints are amount of use and terrain, the gas will take hills better and go further on a tank vs a charge. Battery life is dependent on amount of use, I play 3 times a week and figure I will get between 3/5 years before I pop for $700 of batteries again! The major brands are all good, the only difference for me is the Club Car has less leg room, that may or may not be a big deal for you.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
We have a gas club car I bought for 300.00 about 18 years ago. It was in need of work at that time (thusly so cheap). I put a rebuilt 9 hp motor in myself, a 4 inch lift, new tires/wheels, lights, horn, and brakes. We have used it since then with no trouble. We use in up here in NC for mailbox runs and let the grand kids drive it on the field down below ( no hill driving for them.) They are amazingly quiet although we have had to replace the single 12v starting battery twice in 18 years, it has been pretty maintenance free. I would buy gas again but don't see myself with another cart. hope this helps, mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:38 AM   #8

I have a lifted souped up club (aluminum frame can't rust) and my ezgo can't complain about either one.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1482057494.891812.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	146940
Old 12-18-2016, 06:52 AM   #9

Can I have 2, if so it is the EZGO RXV or the New Yamaha AC drive carts. You will see a lot of negative comments about the RXV from the shade tree golf cart mechanics, it is not that there is something wrong with the RXV, the thing is they are very different being computer controlled and if you don't know what you are doing and start messing around with the wiring it is very easy to zap and kill the thousand dollar controller.

Let me give an example, the traditional way to add a state of charge meter (electric cart fuel gauge) is to splice the power connection into the start switch key, on the RXV these are low voltage (5V) data pins that feed into the controller computer, in the same wiring harness is a 48V wire. Shade tree guy goes poking around with his test light looking for a place to splice in a 48V SOC meter and bridges the +48DC to the 5V data pin and ZAP!! he kills the controller then blames the cart for being a piece of junk.

Much the same applies to the new Yamaha AC drive carts, but they were introduced more recently and may be a little more idiot proof in their control system, time will tell.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #10

I don't have one, but would like to. Hauling it around would be an issue, though. So, I found one that will fit in the back our towed car, a Honda CRV. It is called a Cricket SX3, and it has a small wheel base, and compresses down front to back to fit in the back of a small SUV. They run about $4500 new, and I haven't seen a lot of used ones for sale. I guess people who buy them tend to hang on to them.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
I don't have one, but would like to. Hauling it around would be an issue, though. So, I found one that will fit in the back our towed car, a Honda CRV. It is called a Cricket SX3, and it has a small wheel base, and compresses down front to back to fit in the back of a small SUV. They run about $4500 new, and I haven't seen a lot of used ones for sale. I guess people who buy them tend to hang on to them.
I've seen one used one for sale.
Late DW and I looked at buying one since her health was going bad but never did it. At the time we were towing a Honda Odyssey and it would easily fit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a gas EZGO and an electric Club Car Precedent. I put a lift kit and other goodies on the EZGO and it is my toy. The Club Car is more civilized and we got it to comply with some parks we visit who allow only electric cars.

The gas cars are more powerful, climb hills better, IMO than the electric. Any of them can be modified and souped up if you want to spend crazy money on them....and some folks do.