Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #15

Hot Dog deafpilot!!! I like it!!! Beautiful.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #16

clifford j that is a beautiful kite that you have made also. How does it fly, in what kind of winds? Ie. maximum, minimum?
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #17

Hi, I'm humbled, this is one of my favorite kites. It's a cellular design, has 264 pieces sewn together ,the frame is carbon fiber tubes and the sail material is spinnaker nylon,same as sail boat fabric. It weight's 11 pounds and needs at least 8 mph winds to launch. Top wind force is about 12-13. Higher winds cause the cells to fold in and it becomes difficult to control. It likes smooth winds. I use is 150 pound braided dacron fishing line for the bridle, that's the string from the kite to the line it's flown with. The fly line is 1/4" tiller rope ,thinner line could be used but I like the fatter rope because it's easier on my fingers. It has a 3 string bridle ,one attaches at 12 o'clock and the other two attached at 4 & 8 .The 12 o'clock string is the longest so the kite will lean back at the top. I launch the kite by myself, when sitting on the ground in the proper direction to the wind I pull the 12 o'clock line standing the kite up ,as soon as the wind catches the sail cells it rises. Ya, don't have to run with it. Actually I'm too old to run with kites any more. Kid's run because it's fun,but actually if the wind is correct and the kite is adjusted properly it will rise all by itself.
Lots of kite people head to the gulf coast in Texas for the winter to fly kites. Florida in the winter is a popular place also. However, there are some crazy kiter's in the northern states who fly year around. I'm a warm weather flier. :>)

CLIFF
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suppose you've had a few kite strings break over the years. What was the worst loss you've had on one?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #19

Hi, Arch, I've been lucky , never lost a kite because a string broke. I did have a friend loose a kite at the ocean . The kite handle slipped out of his hands and the kite sailed out over the water. The handle dragged thru the water and gave enough resistance to keep the kite flying high. Never saw it again. The kite I pictured has had crashes that got expensive. The carbon Fiber tubes ,there are 12 , are 60 inches long 1/2inch diameter . There are 12 thinner ones that telescope into the 1/2"er's. In a serious crash I lost 3 1/2"'ers and 3 smaller ones. the 1/2 inchers are 35.00 each. smaller ones are 20 .00. Ya it can get expensive. Probably more kites are lost in crashes than broken strings. If you do loose a bridle string and the kite get's nuts you run towards the kite so it has a "soft" crash.
If you ever saw a two string kite ,triangle in shape crash quite often. They are maneuverable. They normally crash nose first. The nose has reinforcement but often the sticks will poke thru the pockets,and or break sticks.
Stick size and strength is a tradeoff ,weight is the factor. Light sticks light kite.
WE also fly kites "indoors,no wind" the sail material is light fabric and the sticks are very thin and light. No wind,,, the kite strings are just short of the ceiling height. We ask the building people to turn off the A/C because it makes wind. The flier will fly to music, he set's his kite out ,holds his lines, the music starts and he pulls quickly and the kite rises. He will then walk slowly backwards and that will create enough wind to keep the kite in flight.
Google indoor kite flying. There are a number of UTUBE videos. Amazing stuff

CLIFF
Old 01-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
This is one of the kites I made and enjoy flying. 17 feet in diameter 10 feet deep. Good news it folds up into a 60"x5" bag and the sail folded up firs in a gym bag. Stores under my bed.

That is beautiful!
Losthikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will checkout the indoor flying...amazing!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #22

Somebody just mentioned Kites would be a great activity when the grand kids come and visit us at the CG.

CLIFF
Old 02-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #23

I guess it's time to ask dose anyone keep kites in their RV

CLIFF
Old 02-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #24

Jayco Owners Club
Radio controlled gliders are much more challenging... My longest flight is 2:46:10. No they don't just go up and come down, if you know about thermals... But they do go up the line kind of like a kite.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
I guess it's time to ask dose anyone keep kites in their RV

CLIFF
5 total. Nothing like the OPs.. 1 tiny parasail kit, a small kite in a bag (go fly a kite), and 2 other larger kites (but again nothing special), but they fly.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #26

Hi, I belong to a non profit organization called The American Kitefliers Assoc. one of the things we do is provide free kite kits to children's non profit organizations such as schools, libraries, scouts,4H, summer camps,municipal park programs,etc. The kites are a diamond shape like Ben Franklin flew, Like the kites many of you made when you were young. Remember newspaper,glue and sticks ? I'll send a box of 25 free kites to the person who sends me a private message. Since many will apply the person who's message arrives closest to noon EST Feb 15th will win. No strings attached haa haa. The kits are complete ,everything is pre cut so no scissors or punches needed. Even string to fly the kites included with instruction booklets. Children can draw pictures on the kites using sharpies (not included). But I need a promise you will make the kites with a group of kids and post a picture here of the kites kids create. Deal?

CLIFF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f617287344 (628x640).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	118882  
Old 12-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #27

Happened on the Cape Fear Kite Festival, at Fort Fischer, NC great fun to watch all the different kites ! Got me wanting to learn to make my own. I have a small parasail kite I bought several years ago at Kittyhawk Kites in Nags Head, NC

The Cape Fear Kite Festival is held the 1st FULL weekend in November, location: Fort Fisher State Recreation Area, Kure Beach 10-4 wind/weather permitting.

Cape Fear Kite Festival was organized as a "fun fly" without competitions or rules (other than safety!) to unofficially wrap up the kite-flying year. It is attended by serious kite flyers who enjoy showing their sky art to anyone who appreciates it. While weather and wind dependent, SOMETHING will fly, we assure you! Hundreds of spectators of all ages and all walks of life cover the beach and many (we hope) will get hooked on the fun and beauty of a kite string in your hand and color against the clouds. We hope to have tee-shirts and kites for sale. Come join us!
Send Email
View Website
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1482152669102.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	147014   Click image for larger version

Name:	1482152684133.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	147015