Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hikers or backpackers here?

It's understandable that many full timers are relax-at-the-rig predominately.

Are there any folks out here who enjoy hiking at moderate or higher trails & lengths?
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hiked a ton in my younger days .... 8 weeks wandering around Banff, Jasper, Yoho National Parks up in Canada, top 90 miles of Ontario's Bruce Trail, 4 trips across the length of Michigan's Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (45+ miles), many "weekenders" in Michigan's Porcupine Mountains.

Now in my old age (about to turn 60) ... I stick to day hikes. My days of schlepping a pack full of gear, dining on freeze dried meals ... and nights on a sleeping pad are more or less behind me. I'll happily spend the day walking ... but when I'm done, I'm more than happy to return to the coach, enjoy a meal that I gotta cut with a knife, wash it down with a libation that I've poured from a bottle and onto a few ice cubes .... then retire, showered and squeaky clean to my Sleep # bed.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I get the chance, both my dog and I enjoy long walks just about anywhere. If she can be off leash, it's even better.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Norman (should I use that name?) we JUST came back from the Canadian Rockies and long hikes in most of the places you mention. We were there last year, too, and the 2015 trip included a week or 2 on the UP from end to end, top and bottom. We tried to get back to Copper Harbor a few days ago, on our way back to the Midwest, but the route is blocked across upper MN/WI with washed out roads from rainstorms :-(. We have not spent time in the Porky yet but I know we will.

Bigmess, we also hike with our dog, thus the Canadian parks > US national parks in most cases :-). 'Cept Shenandoah.

So glad to meet you both!
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Backpacking is too much like camping.

DW thinks camping is for the young. We like our nice beds at night.

Now I will hike for beer.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you're in the UP ... consider the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. The trail follows the Lake Superior shoreline from Grand Marais to Munising (a hair over 45 miles according to the trail maps). It's relatively flat (compared to being in the Rockies) ... typical "northwoods" footpath (lots of roots and rocks). All sites are "dispersed camping" backcountry sites (so you're not sharing with the "car camper" types) ... and there are enough of 'em that you can pretty much lay out an itinerary that fits your wants in terms of daily distance. We've walked it several times ... did it two years in a row when my kids were 6 and 9 (they're 28 and 25 now..). Most recent trip was 3 years ago with two younger friends from the office.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
When I want to go camping I load up the backpack and head for the hills. The RV is for traveling and bringing our home with us.

Monkeywrench, AT NOBO '09
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #8

Hikers or backpackers here?

Two of our favorite hobbies are hiking and biking. Our hikes have taken us to the above mentioned areas in Michigan along with Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and many other state and local parks. We have enjoyed hiking in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Badlands and lots of other trails in Alabama, North Carolina and Florida. We stick to day hikes/rides. Haven't slept on the ground in decades [emoji4]
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #9

I think my serious backpacking ended last year when I completely finished the Appalachian trail in sections starting in 1990 minus 6 years for job loss recovery. I was 40 when I started and 65 when I completed it. The difference in effort between my early years to my last years was incredible. I really struggled pulling myself up one part of the Mt Katahdin hike last year, and the White Mountains of NH and Maine were tough the year before.

Today, my preference would be day hikes and I usually get several in while camping. My DW is very accommodating and will usually pick me up at a road crossing. I really loved long distance backpacking in my younger years. This year in May I did a full crossing of the Grand Canyon with 2 other people I know.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #10

Like a lot of you, we do day hikes only. On this last 10 week trip we hiked 108.2 miles, all in shorter hikes. We have a 6 month old puppy and we geared everything to his endurance......and ours. However, we pack just in case we end up on a mountain side over night. Never know what will happen. Last year we rescued a elderly couple who were lost, scared and thinking the would have to hunker down and spend the night on the trail. It was just getting dusk and they were tired, hungry and very very very thirsty. After we gave them something to drink we led them out to the parking lot, which was about 200 feet from where we found them!!!!!!!!!! You could hear the cars in the lot leaving, but they were so scared hungry and thirsty they had basically just shut down.

The United States and Canada are most beautiful, and we all have so much to be grateful for.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:33 AM   #11

My wife and I did a lot of backpacking and hiking in our younger days and all the way up into our early 60's and loved it all. There is still one trail I wish we had done before we let this thing called age catch up to us and that is the John Muir Trail from Yosemite to Mount Whitney 220 miles. I have watched dozens of YouTube videos on it and it makes me sorry we never did it. So if you still have your youth and health and there is something you really want to do, don't wait for Time and Gravity to catch up with you, do it.
Bill
Old 04-15-2017, 03:36 AM   #12

I love to be in the woods, on the trail whenever the opportunity arises. I carry to much camera gear to spend the night so I am out early in the morning, usually before sunrise.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:04 AM   #13

I started section hiking the AT in 2014 and have made it from Springer Mtn. to Fontana Dam. I'm hoping for the next 10 day trip in June. It's tough at 62, but I'm endeavoring to persevere.

I usually hike four days at a time and then bail out for a few days of R&R in the motor home. My DW is the logistics manager, but she refuses to backpack. Her three surgeries have made her much smarter than me. Come to think of it, she's always been much smarter than me.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:14 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Traildust, the JMT is on my to-do list as well. Actually, I'd love to take a stab at a PCT thru-hike. I thru-ed the AT in 2009 and it was absolutely the most satisfying 6 months of my life. One of those experiences you measure your life by.

But when I floated the idea of trying the PCT in 2019, DW said "No, you're not leaving me for 6 months again!"
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote