Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
JAMMERS.... and those who love the Music

Anyone who loves music and loves playing I would highly recommend you check out the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) Texas.

We have literally dozens of Jams every day from morning till night. You name it. Country, Old Country, Gospel, Rock & Roll, Big Band, Jazz & Blues. Just open up the "Winter Texan" weekly paper for a complete listing of all the Jams, times and places for that day and week.

Unbelievable the folks you will meet from all over the US and Canada. So much talent and fun. And the folks who come to listen are also great crowds to visit with.

The musicians and the instruments they bring!! Some I had never seen or heard before.

And many of the parks also bring in talent from Branson, Nashville, Florida and just really great to meet and even opportunities to play with some of these folks. Our park hosts some of the entertainers who play there for the winter season and when not on a gig hold clinic for those who want to learn or develop their skills

Another great thing is you network with other jammers who have music jams back home and get together's.

Come and join us in the RGV for great music and fun!!
Our RV parks are very affordable also.

Our park at Mission Bell is $525 per month for a 50 amp. or 4 mo $1785 which comes out to about $446 a month.

Several of the Parks have weekly jams all year long, serve lunch and just have a great time in general!

Some of the jammers are vocalists and just come to sing.

How many of you enjoy a music jam? What do you enjoy playing?
Instrument?

I have Martin 12 and 6 strings. Play Rythem and Vocal. Mostly Country, Old stuff and Gospel. Some old Rock & Roll

James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I love music jams. I have a Fender Stratocaster (pre-CBS) playing on a Fender Twin Reverb amp (tubes). Plus an Ibenez acoustic 12 string. I also play keyboards using an Ensoniq TS 12 played through a Roland amp. I'm always looking to join in.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Where do you play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I love music jams. I have a Fender Stratocaster (pre-CBS) playing on a Fender Twin Reverb amp (tubes). Plus an Ibenez acoustic 12 string. I also play keyboards using an Ensoniq TS 12 played through a Roland amp. I'm always looking to join in.
I compiled a listing of daily Jams we have out here in South Dakota. There are several in the States. Some of them are 3-4 day events and RV'ers come from all over to play.

We will spend 6 months in the RGV leaving in the next couple weeks. I may play a few paid gigs as I have been invited to sit in with a band. Otherwise I will play at least 1-2 every day Our jams run 2 -2.5 hours and that much music kind of wears a guy out. LOL But man is it ever fun and the talent you meet and play with is great.

I met folks who make instruments, fiddles, guitars, what talent! One fella, is an original band member who played with Bill Monroe. Plays his Mandalin that he played in Bills Band. I am talking 90 something year old players who will knock your socks off.

You need to check out the RGV. We can always use more talent !!!
James
Old 09-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #4

Gear

We are just loading up and trying to decide what to bring! My 5 string electric bass is my favourite however have a 4 string acoustic. My wife can bring one of her acoustic guitars but her keyboard too? She had to get a 88 key....
Then there are amps.... the bass needs something.... descisions..
Big Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dreamer View Post
We are just loading up and trying to decide what to bring! My 5 string electric bass is my favourite however have a 4 string acoustic. My wife can bring one of her acoustic guitars but her keyboard too? She had to get a 88 key....
Then there are amps.... the bass needs something.... descisions..
Bring em all... but I know what your talking about. Easy to overpack but then again, nice to have a full arsenal.

Where are you headed?
Old 10-03-2018, 06:12 AM   #6

Where to... we will see! Anywhere warmer than Edmonton so south for starters
Big Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting.... We plan to stop for a month or so in the RGV as this is our first winter south. I have heard a lot about these jams. I am mostly a Jazz and Blues guy that plays bass and keyboards in my small s&b studio. My trusty 4 string p-bass and a Ibanez 5 banger. The keyboard is a Yahmaha 61 key arranger with a ton of voices and is quite light.
Now I am not a world class musician by any means..far from it even though I play daily. Its just old man syndrome and not getting any faster. Intimidation an issue?? The keyboard is a must for me, for my sanity if anything. How kind of wattage are you guys using for your amps at these events? Or are you mostly acoustic?
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Mark & Lori,
First I'd say WELCOME to the RGV. I think you will be surprised at the welcome you get there. They Love Winter Texans in the Valley. As for the Jams,... where do I begin, there are so many I have only attended a fraction of them and I hit 1 or 2 a day. Every day. Mostly Country & Gospel but there are many others. Most of them already have a established band on stage and we take turns going up and playing lead. Announce to jammers what key you are in, perhaps any unusual chord progressions and so on so we have an idea where to go. When you play lead some plug in and some do not. Just important to not drown out the jammer who is up there playing lead. There is a weekly paper put out called the Winter Texan and it lists pages of all the jams going on throughout the week. Type of jam, location, time and a point of contact. As for amps... who knows, all these parks have their own equipment and a sound guy running the mixers. You won't be disappointed. Then there are also some smaller jams that are sort of impromptu in the parks with a 6-12 jammers who get together on a routine at a outside venue. Those are more just word of mouth. I got into a routine of where I played each day AM/PM and really would like to be able to venture out and hit more of them but there are so many.. It's a tough life but somebody has to do it..... See you down in the Valley!! James
Old 12-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #9

I host a jam in my living room every week. If anyone is around the Carlos, Tx area and might consider joining, pm me.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Tony, what year is your Twin Reverb? I have a '64 Twin, and a '66 Showman made into a 2X12 combo, and a '70 Bandmaster.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #11

This sounds like a great time.
Ive played guitar and mandolin..most of my adult life..
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote