Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

Metal Detecting

I am thinking about buying a metal detector, something to do as a hobby, and was wondering if anyone knows if there are any problems with doing this in parks, state or Fed?
bylois is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bylois View Post
I am thinking about buying a metal detector, something to do as a hobby, and was wondering if anyone knows if there are any problems with doing this in parks, state or Fed?
Many state or national parks will not allow metal detecting. Others in restricted areas. Some require permits.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #3

Howdy!

Try this website very helpful with almost any type of treasure hunting you want to get into. I used it to determine what metal detector I wanted to purchase.

TreasureNet - The Original Treasure Hunting Website

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
HHg

I have been in the hobby for better than 30 years. As stated above, many cities and counties do not allow metal detecting. All State and Federal parks do not allow it. That does not mean you can't get into the hobby, you just have to work on getting permission, and you can always ask local cities or county parks if it is allowed. Most beaches (absolutely not federal) are accessible. I concentrate on Republic of Texas and Civil War era sites and have had a lot of success over the years. Get a decent detector and have fun !!

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #5

Just an aside here, guy metal detecting on the beach close by uncovered a grenade about 6" down, at the waterline. Turned out to be an authentic looking replica, still......
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #6

I've metal detected while RVing for about 4 years now. Never wanted for washer/dryer quarters before we got the washing machine! It varies state to state, and place to place. I've been to state and national parks where you supposedly aren't supposed to detect, asked, and been told "Have at it!" Then again I've been to parks where is was supposedly okay and been told "NO". Was at one last year was on a beach and in about 20 feet found over 30 musket balls, an other stuff, then realized that I hadn't asked. Checked later . . . not supposed to detect! Oh well, I most always remember to ask and generally people are really helpful.

What type of detector are you looking for?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:36 AM   #7

Not quite sure, still just looking. Can you give some advice about a good one but not too expensive? Don't want to pay a lot until I decide if I really like doing this. Thanks for your reply.
bylois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Take a look at Garrett Metal Detectors. there are cheaper made ones but Garrett seems to have a good reputation. You might also look at some of the metal detecting websites.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #9

I have a Garret 350 a good starter metal detector. Good price.
sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
I have a Garret 350 a good starter metal detector. Good price.
The Garret 350 is a good beginner machine. Bear in mind that the "beginner machines" of today were better than the "State of the Art" machines from say 20 years ago! And the prices are really reasonable.

For me, a pin pointer of some type is a must have. If in the sand, or on a beach, a scoop of some type is really handy.

Personally I have a Garret AT Pro. I've found lots of stuff, both modern and historic. I most always use head phones, and when I move on, you would be hard pressed to find the holes I've dug!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #11

I teach metal detecting to my clients (aged 5-22) as a means of relaxation, recreation, and just something interesting to do that isn't a damned video game! I am a counselor for emotionally disturbed kids.

I teach them the basic rules of metal detecting.

1) fill your holes back in.
2) take all trash you find out or to the trash bins.
3) don't dig in the grass. We stick to playgrounds with sand, mulch, or gravel only.
4) stay out of everyone else's way.
5) Respect the property and the people around you. If it appears that you "might" be bothering someone (includes law enforcement/county officials), stop, and put it all away.

So far, found many tens of dollars in coins, LOTS of trash, but more important, the kids found something fun they can do, that can be productive, and that is relatively affordable. The one I use with them is a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV which cost me about $100 (about 1/3 the price of their video game consoles!).

I also use a White's Eagle II SL, which is an older machine, but it has features that tell you what it is you found (fairly accurate, and you can "train" it), and how deep it is, so you can decide if you want to dig or just leave it and move along to the next beep.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #12

Check kellyco.com they have great prices, lots of info. And include free stuff with your purchases! You can call them and ask ???? About different detectors.
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote