Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #1

Model railroaders?

Anyone else out there build model buildings, trees, etc. that are model railroad related? I model in O scale (On30).
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott-maine View Post
Anyone else out there build model buildings, trees, etc. that are model railroad related? I model in O scale (On30).
I model in HO just started new layout

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-299041334.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	514.4 KB
ID:	41608  
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott-maine View Post
My first husband (may his soul RIP) and I were big into both O scale and HO trains when we were first married back in the 1960s. We had a large 6' X 16' layout for the HOs, a little smaller for the O scale. We spent a small fortune on the hobby. But then, once the layout and scenery were finished and there wasn't much to do anymore but watch the trains running around and around... we both grew bored with it. It took up so much space we could use for other things that we sold it at a real loss. I did keep a few sets of the HO trains themselves and still have them. Only the transformer had to be replaced about 15 years ago. And yes, they still run when I set them up under the tree for Xmas.

One bridge between 2 mountains took us weeks to make out of balsawood, basswood and painted flat black. Our board had a large tunnel, the black bridge, a smaller bridge, farms, a small town.... it was a work of art if I may say so myself. I wish I had pictures of that layout but somehow over the years they were lost......
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I love model trains, I had mosely the American Flyer and my son had the HO scale. I believe almost every boy has had a train at some time or another. I still to this day love to watch the real trains go by and listen to the sounds.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have built multiple Z, N, and HO layouts over the years. N being my favorite as you can get a lot of layout and action into a given space - and it still operates well. Next I want to build a garden railroad in G scale. Have a 18x18 area next to our patio allocated for the layout. Just need to gather the ambition to get it started.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #6

Whoops... I didn't mean O, I meant N gauge. What was I thinking?!?!?!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have built multiple Z, N, and HO layouts over the years. N being my favorite as you can get a lot of layout and action into a given space - and it still operates well. Next I want to build a garden railroad in G scale. Have a 18x18 area next to our patio allocated for the layout. Just need to gather the ambition to get it started.
We had trouble with the N gauge toppling off the tracks on turns and slight downhill grades. He glued tiny weights under the cars but it didn't help very much. Perhaps these days that shortcoming has been fixed.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
N scale here, but I agree about the garden railroad - that would be very cool (but man, that scale is expensive!)

- Randy
Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #9

I'll be modeling buildings and trees in the RV as we travel for specific spots on the modular On30 narrow gauge modules we are building at home.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #10

I (and a friend sometimes) built many a HO layout for many years... I'd Love to have an outdoor garden railroad,,, just no time right now still working 50-60 hrs a week...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fifteen years or so ago my son and I used to spend a lot of time with our local HO club. He liked to run trains, and I built a lot of trestle structures. Now he's got all of our rolling stock and buildings boxed in his garage, and I'm thinking of building trestles in my motorhome. But what the heck would I do with them?!?!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #12

I had an HO when I was a kid, my dad and I spent hours with it. Eventually we ran out of room and the space was needed for other things so I gave the whole lot to my buddy's kid brother. It can be very addicting.
If you get to Palm Desert CA there is an outstanding layout at The Living Desert just south of town. Plan to spend a whole afternoon especially if you have kids.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
We had trouble with the N gauge toppling off the tracks on turns and slight downhill grades. He glued tiny weights under the cars but it didn't help very much. Perhaps these days that shortcoming has been fixed.
Many years with N guage. Would build a layout a year then save buildings, track, switches and other stuff and use the ply for another need. N guage goes real slow as to scale! This keeps the train on the track.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #14

Don't remember what the proper name is, but when I was getting out of railroading, (for now), they had come out with a radio control system, actually let you take off nice and slow, coast, apply brakes, etc... My next layout (yes there will be one) will have that...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote