Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

Music

Any RVing musicians out there? One of my favorite aspects of RVing is attending jam sessions while traveling. Although I have not been there for a few years, Yuma, AZ used to have campground jam sessions almost every day during snowbird season. I'm hoping to be there next winter.

Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several. Guitar, Banjo and the like are most common. I'm a vocalist myself

However getting together is the hard part.

Suggestion: Break out the old 12 string and build a camp fire,,, If you are decent, they will come. One thing about musicians.

There is a Hymn we sing on occasion in church: How can I keep from Singing

For insturmentalists, it's "How can I keep from playing"

Fact is, when music bites, it bites... HARD

(My daughter by the way, does not travel with us any more (she does go camping, tent camping no less, with her husband) but she plays classical Flute, and very well
Old 05-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
My husband plays the guitar but no one else in our Nor'Easter group plays instruments that you might play around the campfire. He will bring his guitar out and play a few songs but I know he would rather jam. Our daughter plays mando. It's great when they play together.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Fact is, when music bites, it bites... HARD
Wow, that is sooooo true. Although I've always loved music and had some musical instruction as a kid, I took up playing and singing after retiring. Now I'm playing 6 string guitar, steel guitar and vocals in a local band. We are all seniors and perform usually two times a week or more.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Paulin:

Hi. Was scanning previous posts here on iRV2 and caught your post re: "Music" from back in May. I too have been occasionally seeking to talk w. other iRV2'rs about music related things and asked whether the iRV2 Mgrs. might start a "Music" topic header under their new Hobbies section, but it seems that until more interest is demonstrated for this topic they're reluctant to set up such a section. After finding your May post here, and seeing so little response, I guess there aren't many iRV2'rs interested. Too bad.

I like to play my harmonica a little and from time to time hook up with friends of ours who enjoy playing a little music together in our campground. He plays the guitar and she plays the fiddle. And...actually, SOME of our playing gets to sounding pretty good, and at any rate, it sure gets to be alot of FUN for us anyway.

Maybe sometime down the road there'll be enough iRV2'rs interested. Steve & Lynette
Old 07-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several.. I do Vocals
Old 07-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I'm very good at foot stomping and clapping. Let me know where you'll be.. maybe I can join in on the fun.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hey, Rick: Way to go!! It's ALWAYS hard to find a good "foot stomper" and "clapper" when we want one. Hope we run into ya somewhere down the road. Aint playin music a HOOT!! Steve & Lynette
Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Again: No harmonica players out there..hey??? Anyway....FWIW, (in case there's a harp player lurking here), I just discovered a great little amp (amplifier) for harmonica players.

One of the problems I'd run into was that when playing with others, they'd often comment that it was often hard for them to hear my harmonica when jamming together. (Ya know how poor the hearing is on some of us old foggies ). Anyway, I'd kinda been poking around for a convenient amp & michrophone combo that didn't cost an arm and a leg and finally found a portable, battery/or a/c powered "MICRO CUBE" in one of the new music sections of a local Best Buy. It runs beautifully on six AA batteries for 15 to 20 hrs. (or plug it in) , cost around $125. and separately pch'd microphone around $70. If ya check one out, be sure to try different microphones as both the comfort of holding the mic., and the quality the mic. produces varies alot. It's a wonderful amp for guitar also....infact it's labled as a guitar amp. Would also be great vocal amp., and.....yeah.....I spose maybe good for foot stompers and clappers too !!! Has vol,. gain, delay, reverb and a bunch of other features ya might appreciate. Plug in a cd unit and play along w. cd. I think it can also accomodate pick up mics. for fiddles as well. FINALLY, they made a great little amp. Check it out......ya might like it. Steve & Lynette

Just in case
Old 08-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #10

Chicadee. I saw a guy using one of those in Gatlinsburg last June. He makes/sells 1 string dulcimers W/ a beer can resonator. He used a fiddle pickup, and the difference between with/without was astounding. Without it sounded like the toy it was, with_ it sounded like he was picking a electric guitar.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #11

Chickadee,

I've heard a lot of good things about the Micro Cube.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Boy!...can't say enough about how great this little amp is for us campground pickers and grinners. Just make sure ya try out different microphones or pick ups since the one ya might get really makes a huge difference in the sound this amp delivers. Steve
Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well... I've been known to sing on occasion, but other than Voice (And occasionally the 102 key keyboard) I don't do an insturment
Old 02-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've started carrying my 'street / kit' so if you see me anywhere I am ready to play some blues... my latest is playing acoustic blues (Ralph & Wally); you can find some samples here: Wally's Music - www.HamptonStudios.com

I'll be in Tucson for another week, then headed back to the NW via I5... I'll stop to play!
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote