Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #1

Musicians out there?

My husband and i are musicians (drummer, keys, guitar,steel pan, vocals). We are thinking about rving full or almost full time, at least till we decide on a home base. Now in Wa state and the weather doesnt work for us.... Does anyone have info on where there are other musicians and fun places to play? One of our must haves is others to jam and gig with.

thanks for any thoughts....

Deb and Brad (planning an early retirement this coming summer)
Nadafollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #2

Just a note on the guitar (s). Hollow bodies do not like rapid changes of temperature and humidity. I do not take my prized Martin on the road, but leave it at home. An inexpensive used or new unit is fine to keep up the practice and calluses.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What type of music? I would think that would be important. Pretty much gonna be a city mouse if night life and music go hand in hand. If gospel maybe not the case. Austin Tx has night life lots of musicians - and little something for everyone.

Still - narrow it down for us a bit. I'm sure you will get some answers.
Good luck.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonsrv View Post
My husband and i are musicians (drummer, keys, guitar,steel pan, vocals). We are thinking about rving full or almost full time, at least till we decide on a home base. Now in Wa state and the weather doesnt work for us.... Does anyone have info on where there are other musicians and fun places to play? One of our must haves is others to jam and gig with.

Lots of places in WA state and the NW to play... Check out the booking agents for local music societies, city sponsored events and a whole slew of wineries and festivals. For touring on the rainy side you might want to save your pennies and look at rainsong guitars - carbonfiber, road worthy and lovely to play.

You might consider doing a demo at a booking conference if you want lots of exposure to event planners and bookers as well, but will need to schedule space well in advance - it goes quickly.

here are some links:

https://www.artsnw.org/

SRO Artists, Inc. :: Northwest Booking Conference

Festivals Directory Northwest. Festival directory for artists, crafters, performers, organizers, vendors, service providers, bookers, tourism centers, chambers of commerce, with information for washington festivals oregon festivals and idaho festival

Washington Festivals & Events Association

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the ideas. I totally agree with the carbon fiber guitar on the road. I travel with a stratacoustic. We play country, vintage rock and contemporary Christian music. But love all types. Texas might be interesting. Thought az might have musical snowbirds. Love the links in wa though. Didn't know them all

Deb
Nadafollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #6

We be jammin'
Bozo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Guitar, vocals, .... play some keyboard but my 12 st Martin (30 something yrs old now) is my prized guitar. But when we FT, I might have to part with it since I do not want to store it. Only option is to bring it with....
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

I can play a jukebox!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadafollie View Post

Hey fellow musicians! Where did you folks end up? I'm looking to take a similar leap and would love to find an RV/musicians community.
www.soundcloud.com/myerhollow
I write, sing, drum, play guitar, (mostly rhythm), simple bass, simple keys.
And looking for more sunshine, as well.
Alan
hydrogen56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
With us we have Thom's 1972 Rick bass and an slim backed Ovation. Almost all his other music stuff got taken when the house got broke into. Ah well ya move on when things happen. He also does karaoke and has all the equipment for that and has the option to plug in any one with instruments that wants to play and sing. Have gone cross country several times with all of it and no problems.
He will play just about any type of music and sings just about any kind too.

By the way if it was that bad to travel with good instruments then how come major stars travel all over with all their equipment and have for years and years? We know lots of musicians that travel all over doing the circuits with their stuff for years and nothing bad.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
What type of music? I would think that would be important. Pretty much gonna be a city mouse if night life and music go hand in hand. If gospel maybe not the case. Austin Tx has night life lots of musicians - and little something for everyone.

Still - narrow it down for us a bit. I'm sure you will get some answers.
Good luck.
STEVE and ANNIE!! Alan is my brother!! I'm so glad you guys are in touch!! I so love him, but I could be biased, LOL, Denise aka RVM25 Oh,hydrogen56 is my brother Sorry, I got confused and thought this was the thread he started
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry

STEVE and ANNIE!! Alan is my brother!! I'm so glad you guys are in touch!! I so love him, but I could be biased, LOL, Denise aka RVM25
Small world!! Some time back a friend of mine with a large restaurant with a stage and dance floor wanted to have live music. For a little over a year I booked blues bands into the place. It was great fun. I knew / know lots of musicians and really enjoyed it. The cost of legal live music with ASCAP, SESAC and BMI is based on size and his place was so big he finally gave up on it. He paid the bands fairly - fed them any meal off the menu and let them have a few drinks on the house. Bands loved playing there. Even running specials on appetizers and cocktails to bring people in, it was just to hard to cover the cost of royalties. It's a tough business for everyone. Kind of sad that it costs so much just to let someone play. And believe me - there are field mice and PRO reps that will walk in and ask for the paperwork or report you and you will get a call - hey you are breaking the law. And the royalty payments to musicians are nothing compared to the fees.

My guitar
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3722354924.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	641.7 KB
ID:	38794
Others sold on the way to RVing and this little Ibanez will go too before we go full time. Will pick up an acoustic beater in a pawn shop somewhere on the road.
RVM2
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
With us we have Thom's 1972 Rick bass and an slim backed Ovation. Almost all his other music stuff got taken when the house got broke into. Ah well ya move on when things happen. He also does karaoke and has all the equipment for that and has the option to plug in any one with instruments that wants to play and sing. Have gone cross country several times with all of it and no problems.
He will play just about any type of music and sings just about any kind too.

By the way if it was that bad to travel with good instruments then how come major stars travel all over with all their equipment and have for years and years? We know lots of musicians that travel all over doing the circuits with their stuff for years and nothing bad.
Haven't seen you post on your blog in awhile. Are you still in Cali. ?
Bozo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #14

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
I can play a jukebox!

I wish I knew how to play a guitar, I guess I'm all thumbs
booger is offline   Reply With Quote