Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #1

Nikon P900

Anybody out there using the Nikon P900. I used to use a Nikon DSLR multi lens camera but as the years have crept up I find it harder to haul everything around so am looking at some of the new advanced point and shoot models. Looking at the Canon Powershot SX60 and Nikon P900 with a bias to the Nikon so looking for any user experiences.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2017, 03:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
with a bias to the Nikon so looking for any user experiences.
I have taken about 25,000 pictures with the P500 (12 MP - 32X zoom) that was launched in 2011. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pro...lpix-p500.html

I have been shooting Nikons since the film days in the mid 1960s. I still have 3 film bodies and a bunch of lenses.

I LOVE the size, shape, and weight and pretty much everything about this series of Nikons. I do not shoot much video.

What I do NOT like is the (relatively) puny flash and small image sensor. Mine is VERY poor in low light levels and there is no flash shoe or PC socket to add a larger flash. I will never buy another camera (except pocket style) without a flash shoe. The P900 may be better.

I also do not like the small battery and while there is a way to add an external battery, that is a mess to deal with.

If you can live with the limitations that I have cited, the P900 should be a GREAT camera for nearly all situations.

One tip - I usually carry a monopod to stabilize the camera when using long zoom (I can't hold as still as I used to).

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #3

Thank you for your input. Like you I still have a couple of film bodies and lenses packed away. The lack of a hot shoe was the only major drawback I saw when looking at the specs, but will probably use the camera for mostly vacation photos etc. I guess I will have to learn to live with that drawback if I purchase one.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Like you I still have a couple of film bodies and lenses packed away.
I also have a VERY complete B&W & Color darkroom (35mm & 6cm) packed away if you should ever need one (LOL).

Quote:
The lack of a hot shoe was the only major drawback I saw
I went as far as to rig up one of my high-power film-days strobes on a bracket with a slave trigger photo eye in front of the pop-up flash, but never could it to fire in a timely fashion.

Quote:
but will probably use the camera for mostly vacation photos etc.
I use it for almost everything that I would use a SLR for. I could buy a new DSLR, but don't want to lug the weight nor put a bunch of $$ into yet another body & lens system.

The Nikon P is perfect for 95% of my shooting, but I have grandkids who play soccer (often at night) show livestock (in a dim barn) and school events are a nightmare.

I carry a full featured pocket camera that does almost what the Nikon will do, but only has a 10X zoom. With the Nikon, the pocket camera, and my phone, I'm in pretty good shape.

I DO miss processing and printing film though......

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote