Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 04:14 AM   #15
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
For everything you wanted to know about cameras/photography go to Ken Rockwell's site.

KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
For everything you wanted to know about cameras/photography go to Ken Rockwell's site.

X2 - and reviews of glass are very informative as well.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
I am ready to make the leap from a super-zoom to a DSLR. The one that has caught my eye is the Pentax K-50 with an 18-135 mm lens and add a 55-300 mm lens.
Don
Are you talking about an actual 55-300 mm lens, or do you mean 35mm equivalent? If the latter, I think that you will find that 300mm is not really adequate for shooting birds. You would be much better off in the 500mm to 1000mm range.

I would think that you would also want a macro lens for shooting flowers.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Many thanks for everyone's thoughts. It's always good to get input when you can.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
Many thanks for everyone's thoughts. It's always good to get input when you can.
You might want to browse USED at KEH, Adorama, and B+H .... last year's "wonder camera" is this year's bargain. Same with glass ... plenty of good used glass available.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
You might want to browse USED at KEH, Adorama, and B+H .... last year's "wonder camera" is this year's bargain. Same with glass ... plenty of good used glass available.
That's very true. Years ago KEH had a shop in Dallas. Got a lot of nice lightly used 35 mm stuff there. Again - going to a shop with the goodies beats buying online based on others words, testing and perception. No matter how qualified the reviewer - until you hold it in your hand you won't really know.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

Some of what Ken Rockwell has to say can be useful, but he is known as being very opinionated. Be aware that some of his views are more than a little bit controversial. I certainly would not be inclined to take his opinions as gospel.

See "Ken Rockwell is dangerous to photography" at
KEN Rockwell is Dangerous to Photography: FroKnowsPhoto RAWtalk #082 | Fro Knows Photo
or "Why does everyone hate Ken Rockwell?" at http://http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53373721

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just be careful Don, this whole camera/lenses deal is a sickness that is hard to cure. You are walking down a very expensive path.

You start off saying you just want this little camera, then a year later you are upgrading, then you start becoming educated on whats what, then you find yourself upgrading again, then before you know it, you are buying $11K lenses.

Trust me on this, my wife has this sickness. We are a Canon home, none of that Nikon junk allowed. Every year its a new this or that.

I agree with what the others have said, the new "cropped" sensors are really good. I would put my wife's photos with here 7dMII up against a 1d and double dog dare someone to show me the difference to justify the extra $5K in price. However, my wife only shoots with "L" series lenses, which as other have said, a good lens can make a marginal camera look great.

The one hard lesson it seems everyone has to learn the hard way, with lenses only buy 2.8 or lower, the higher aperture lenses will just piss you off in the long run, you will always be chasing your settings in lieu of shooting great shots.

Good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out the Sony A7II, smaller mirrorless DSLR with full size sensor and five axis stabilization.

Came out late in 2014, the A9 rumored to come out later this year.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Just be careful Don, this whole camera/lenses deal is a sickness that is hard to cure. You are walking down a very expensive path.
Hah. Hah. I am already learning that with my new Pentax K-5IIs as I have purchased two lenses, a new tripod, a new bag, etc. etc. But, hey, it is fun!
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:20 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats! Lol, I was just going to ask you how much money you were willing to spend....

The second biggest difference between pro photography and enthusiast, is how well you know your processing program. Your best investment will be Lightroom, the less expensive Adobe Photoshop digital program that lends all the techniques for the art of photography and photo renderings. Once you master that part, all of your work will be the best it can be. It truly is the secret that can make any camera good. A lot of reading, and hours of experimenting, but so much fun.

There is a lot of info online, and just like the RV experience, forums and good people are out there willing to help. You probably already know that and it does require a time investment. Great hobby!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:46 AM   #26

Did you buy Da* lenses to go with that K5iiS? If not, you're not doing that excellent camera justice. If/when I have to buy a new body that's the one I want.

I've got a pair of K20D's with the Da* 16-50/2.8, Da* 50-135/2.8 and Da* 300/4, plus an AFA 1.7x teleconverter. Such awesome glass that I sold most of my other lenses, including a K-mount 400/5.6 behemoth that took forever to find.

Keeper lenses were a Vivitar Series 2 90mm/2.5 macro with 1:1 adapter and a fantastic Pentax M 120mm/2.5 that has the creamiest bokeh of any lens I've owned (literally bought it after taking 1 picture).

I'm a lifetime member of LBA (Lens Buyers Anonymous).
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:14 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I picked up a Canon Rebel T5i EOS SLR camera with 18-55mm lens two months ago. I have taken a few photos with it and I love it so far. It will get its big "workout" next month in Yellowstone. I will most likely pick up a zoom lens (just haven't decided on which yet) before going.

Here's a shot of my MH I took with the new camera:

ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
One rookie mistake is to buy an expensive camera and "consumer" lenses, or "glass" in photo jargon. It's much better to go the other way around. Good glass is good for a long time, but camera bodies change rapidly. It's the glass that forms the image. Decide what kind of image quality you want, what kind of lenses you need for the kind of shooting you do, and then buy a camera that supports them.

I'm Partial to Nikon and Canon, in that order, because there is a lot of really good glass available for both. You won't go wrong with Pentax though.

Also consider how you will use the camera. Do you want a lot of creative control or will you shoot in program mode all the time? Consumer cameras tend to bury stuff in menus, pro and prosumer bodies will have the most useful controls accessed via physical switches. Much easier to use in a hurry!

Regards,

Randy
Nikon D300s

My kit...
Nikon 70-210 2.8
Tamron 24-70 2.8
Nikon 60mm macro 2.8
Tokina 12-24 2.8
Nikon 24-105 4.8 knockaround lens
I agree Randy, good advice. The lens makes the picture. I too shoot with a D300, great workhorse of a camera. I shoot portraits, wedding and sports. Have my credentials to shoot Arkansas Razorback games, and the D300 has never let me down using mainly 70-210 and 80-300. Haven't tried a macro but intend to.