Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quilting and Sewing

Does anyone have any advice for quilting & sewimg while on the road? I've pretty new at both and started to workout my arthritic hands & I fell in love. I've turned to quilting the squares as I go and assembling the quilt later. I do miss traditional quilting but honestly just do not have the room. I'm also making quite a few of my tops and really miss my form. Any suggestions?

Ps...I miss my stash, my unfinished projects, my dedicated room, my project piles, the list goes on...... 😊
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
Klc

Winnebago Owners Club
I know what you mean. We will be full-timers in a few months and I am looking in my sewing room wondering how much I will be able to take and what I need to store away to get later. Sorry no answer for you. I'm still working on it myself.
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:48 PM   #3

It's quilter's curse! I don't think I could quilt or sew when moving. But in the evenings it would be really nice. And I guess you'll have to prioritize what you take. Will a sewing machine work in your RV?
seminolewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:17 AM   #4

If you have power outlets your machine will work. I made a double sided portable ironing board with an Olfa cutting mat on the other side. Not as large as at home but it works great. Used heavy ironing board cushion under the canvas cover. Bernina has a slip on table extender that gives you a larger surface. Not like the custom table I built for her at home use but it works great for quilting piece work. A happy wife is important to me. Several medium sized plastic storage containers gives plenty of room to bring along material enough to keep her busy for several weeks. There are quilt shops in just about every city. Just visited a great one in Maui! If there is a will there is a way.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolewind View Post
It's quilter's curse! I don't think I could quilt or sew when moving. But in the evenings it would be really nice. And I guess you'll have to prioritize what you take. Will a sewing machine work in your RV?
Yes, I have an extendable dining table with a buffet for mission control. I can store the machine & notions in the buffet but will need a plastic bin for the project and fabric.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
If you have power outlets your machine will work. I made a double sided portable ironing board with an Olfa cutting mat on the other side. Not as large as at home but it works great. Used heavy ironing board cushion under the canvas cover. Bernina has a slip on table extender that gives you a larger surface. Not like the custom table I built for her at home use but it works great for quilting piece work. A happy wife is important to me. Several medium sized plastic storage containers gives plenty of room to bring along material enough to keep her busy for several weeks. There are quilt shops in just about every city. Just visited a great one in Maui! If there is a will there is a way.
Great ideas, Thank you!!
Old 12-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
The long arm stays home, Thank God! The feather weight is stored inside a tool box that has wheels that was bought at Lowes. it also has room to store the trinkets that goes with it. The material is kept in a flat tote that fits in the bottom of a closet. In the summer she sews outside on the table. Other times she is inside (see picture) All flat equipment (measuring and cutting boards) are stored under mattress

Click image for larger version

Name:	feather weight.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	146984

Name:	ronda.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	146985
Old 12-19-2016, 01:35 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
The long arm stays home, Thank God! The feather weight is stored inside a tool box that has wheels that was bought at Lowes. it also has room to store the trinkets that goes with it. The material is kept in a flat tote that fits in the bottom of a closet. In the summer she sews outside on the table. Other times she is inside (see picture) All flat equipment (measuring and cutting boards) are stored under mattress

Attachment 146984

Attachment 146985
I'm all about that! Sewing outside sounds really nice. Great ideas. Thank you
Old 01-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My wife is a quilter, needlepointer and does beading as well! She will be along shortly with a post!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:41 PM   #10

I cut out all my projects before traveling. I was able to sew at the table in MH. Used RV park clubhouse when available to layout top, batting, back and pin. I was able to do straight line quilting on twin size quilts. Fancy free motion or larger quilts too difficult.
I actually have enjoyed learning to needlepoint, knit and bead jewelry as much easier to do on the road.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:30 PM   #11

Name:	img-16.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	151097Click image for larger version

Name:	img-26.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	151098

This is my wife's Quilting space. She used her 221 Featherweight, which she stores under the desk in a rolling tote ! We slide the Euro Recliners over in front of the desk to block it's escape from it storage aera, and to have a place for our Schwinn Trikes ! ! !
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
While not full time yet, we will be this Sept. and are in the final prep stage. DW has 5-6 totes with fabric, etc that fit in 1 of the basement compartments, her sewing machine in it's travel case set nicely under the ledge under the washer/dryer cabinet. She sets the machine on the dining table, and extends the kitchen counter pull out for her cutting table. I bought a metal folding ironing board that clips over a door and that goes over the bathroom door that's next to the kitchen, in effect turning the kitchen/dining area into her sewing room. We will also be taking a 6' white folding table from Sam's Club for her use outside when it's nice and she want to set out under the awning to work.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
These are all great ideas, thank you for the wonderful advice. We are going to purchase a small card table for am outdoor boondocking dinette set. It's be great for cutting out projects.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #14

We took out our dining room table because we eat while sitting on the sofas. I have a SewEzi Grande sewing table that I love. It's custom made for my Bernina. It was pricey but money well spent IMO. Here's a pic of my setup. You'll also see the cat post sitting next to it for our 10 year cat, Flex.
Attached Images

tjproctor is offline   Reply With Quote