Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 11:30 PM   #1

Radio control airplanes and fulltime...

I have a dilemma, My wife and I are full time now, and I need hints or ideas of how to travel with and store my R/C airplanes in my fifthwheel. only have three at any one time. Can any of you suggest, or show me how you travel with yours? My largest plane is about 4' wingspan. Right now they are sleeping at my warehouse, but they need to be with us. Kinda wish we had a toyhauler, would be easy to fashion shelves in the garage for them.
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 06:13 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Spencer,

I'm a quadcopter guy so no experience. However; I had a couple ideas.

1. A long wood/metal box in the box of you truck? Something tall enough, maybe with shelves to slide multiple wings into (maybe the fuselage too).

2. Hang them from the ceiling inside? Just a strap that they slide into? Not particularly pretty.

3. Some beds have large storage areas underneath that they might fit in.

4. Not a very good option but perhaps one of those long sleek luggage holders that goes on the top of a car. Mount this on the top of your trailer and slip the wings in it. Obviously getting up on the roof just to get to your toys is far from ideal.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #3

1, The bed of wifes truck came to mind, she doesn't want a topper or tonneau , so would have to build some kind of weatherproof box.

2, she probably not going to go for the hanging from ceiling idea, worked when we had a house and garage.

3, Yup got an excellent storage space under the bed perfect for models, the support equipment, building supplies and such. Already full of....yup you guessed it HER stuff.

Option three is the one I'm working for, but not having much sucess over the last two months.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #4

I have under bed storage that is ideal for this and most of the units I have seen have the same. I had a 1/4 scale cub in there for a while.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some sort of storage box on the rear of the RV. Maybe one of those rooftop boxes mounted vertically? Inside holders for wings and fuselages.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

Rooster, being a modeler to, does your fifth wheel have a receiver hitch? Maybe that would be a solution. If nothing else you could build something that would be big enough to store them in? Being 102" wide would allow for some really big one piece wings. Just a suggestion, good luck.

Dale
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #7

Rooster, being a modeler to, does your fifth wheel have a receiver hitch? Maybe that would be a solution. If nothing else you could build something that would be big enough to store them in? Being 102" wide would allow for some really big one piece wings. Just a suggestion, good luck.

Dale
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:27 AM   #8

This is our 2011 Montana Mountaineer 347THT. We bought it for this " Toy Hauler" area for hauling our Swhinn Trikes, and to use as a craft space. MY WIFE QUILTS and the desk is perfect for Her sewing. It has a fold down countertop on the opposite end wall. We're thinking of trading for a Outlaw in a couple of years.
I think any of the " Toyhauler" models would work great for a HANGER!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1482153598541.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	147017  
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #9

This is not a particularly good picture of it, but when we took a 2 month trip in our 22 footer, I built a box that rested on a hitch carrier. It was 4' wide x 4' tall x 2' deep and carried chairs, etc., and many, MANY, souvenirs......

Tim

By the way, I backed into that space in the dark with no spotters. I didn't know the tree was there. I could NEVER do it again.

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #10

Probably won't help you but I make sure my planes come apart easily so I can stow the wings and body in PVC framed boxes I made just to fit them. I only carry 2 at a time plus my quad-copter. The box is strong enough I an still stack things on them if needed without hanger rash worries
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime, radio