Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Roof Rack Honda CR-V Make or Buy?

In checking out the factory roof rack for a 2005 Honda CR-V I found that there is a weight limit of 70 pounds. The roof racks that I have seen on cr-v's look puny. i could probably get a thule or yakima rack but that is about $400 or so.

I am considering making a rack system where I put screw-eyes in the 4 attachment points on the rooftop longitudinal rail on the cr-v. It appears to be 6mm thread. Each of the 4 attachment points has 3 nuts incorporporated in the structure. I would then use the attachment points to tie down my Porta-bote, oars, seats and/or inflatable with the weight on the roof with foam cushions in two to four places across the roof.

I already have a roof top set-up that has straps, gutter hooks and large foam pads to carry the weight but I need to modify the attachment points because the cr-v doesn't have gutters. The other places would have foam tubing ( pipe insulation or water weanies) to carry the weight.

To get a larger distribution of weight I would first connect the front and rear points straight across the roof, Then I would run diagonal from left front to right rear and right front to left rear with foam pads or tubes to hold the weight.

If anyone out there has any ideas about this subject please send me you comments.

Lee
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballard770 View Post
In checking out the factory roof rack for a 2005 Honda CR-V I found that there is a weight limit of 70 pounds. The roof racks that I have seen on cr-v's look puny. i could probably get a thule or yakima rack but that is about $400 or so.

I am considering making a rack system where I put screw-eyes in the 4 attachment points on the rooftop longitudinal rail on the cr-v. It appears to be 6mm thread. Each of the 4 attachment points has 3 nuts incorporporated in the structure. I would then use the attachment points to tie down my Porta-bote, oars, seats and/or inflatable with the weight on the roof with foam cushions in two to four places across the roof.

I already have a roof top set-up that has straps, gutter hooks and large foam pads to carry the weight but I need to modify the attachment points because the cr-v doesn't have gutters. The other places would have foam tubing ( pipe insulation or water weanies) to carry the weight.

To get a larger distribution of weight I would first connect the front and rear points straight across the roof, Then I would run diagonal from left front to right rear and right front to left rear with foam pads or tubes to hold the weight.

If anyone out there has any ideas about this subject please send me you comments.

Lee
I would advise against resting the weight on the roof, with or without padding. All weight should transfer to the attach points in the car structure. Instead of screw eyes, fabricate and mount an attachment bracket in each of the four attach points, using aluminum angle iron. [Done right, you can then buy some replacement plastic trim pieces, whip out your Dremel, and make the whole thing look factory fresh.] Then run support bars across to the opposite side, as long as you need them to be-- you are not limited by the width of the CRV. These bars carry the weight, and transfer it directly to the frame structure of the car. The reason the OEM rack is so limited is that it is NOT designed to carry weight! It is primarily designed to look good, and secondarily to act as a tie down point for bulky but lightweight stuff. IOW, essentially useless if you need a real rack.

Go to the forum section at www.elementownersclub.com and search for "DIY roof rack". There are some really sharp folks there who have done some impressive mods, and posted lengthy descriptions of their work, complete with pictures. Some of it is on the rough side, some quite finished. But at the least you'll be able to develop a mental picture of what you need to do, and the materials to do it with.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #3

There can be a bit of engeneering involved with more to consider than just holding things down especially when contemplating something as big and heavy as a portaboat. Some vehicles require that the headliner be removed and additional roof ribs be installed even when mounting a heavy duty roof rack. Its a 2005 so you don't have to worry about negating the bodily integrity warranty on the vehicle but insurance coverage could be compromised of there is a mishap that is attibuted to the home made modification.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #4

roof rack cr-v

Thanks for the info. I previously mentioned carrying a port-bote but I will be selling it soon so I may only use the tie-down method to carry a 10' inflatable paddle board and/or a 9' sevylor Hunter/fisher inflatable boat about 2 miles from a campground to Birch Bay, WA. Any long distance (over 5 miles) both will be deflated in the RV.

Lee
Old 06-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Weight

I've carried up to 4 sailboards, masts, and sails on my Element factory rack without problem. that's go to be over 100 pounds. A single SUP board can't weigh more than 40-50. An inflatable board or boat would probably be less.

Try www.handa.com They list the capacity as 75# and have them on sale for $195

I checked the one for our 2008 CR-V and it's rated at 175 pounds. I'm thinking the limiting factors might be the roof.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof