Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Parks At Country Airports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Should have added you did the checkerboard approach back then also.

Yup... on intimate terms with Stonecutter's and the checkerboard. Waved to the folks in the apartments, too!

Actually did see ANC daylight in summer. JFK-ANC arr somewhere around 06L.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #16

Me too but think it was 11PM!

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 10-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #17

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Robert Newlon Field outside of Huntington, WV.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #18

East coast has sun and fun in April in fl, other than that the others comments about airventure at Oshkosh in July is a can't miss for aviation nuts. Been going all my life. Camping is the only way to go to enjoy the whole event. Every year brings new and unique aircraft. I've seen everything from the oldest homebuilt to the Concord to the sr-71. If you love planes go at least once. You'll never want to leave.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I camp at Oshkosh every summer for the EAA show. We usually stay about 2 weeks there.....we seem to stay longer every year. It is kind of the Burning Man of aviation.

Ive been going to Airventure since 1977, although I have missed a few years here and there in the past. WE love going and take bikes with us but are seriously thinking about getting a couple of scooters. We don't have the stamina we once had!

We stayed at Sleepy Hollow a few years. The entrance is right across from the Beer Tent. It is owned and run by a nice guy by the name of Jeff and his sister. They have 170 water and electric sites. You can call for a truck to pump out your holding tanks as needed. They also have a dump station and some nice showers that were built about 2012. Sleepy Hollow is open all season.

Sleep Hollow would be the ideal place to camp when the airshow isn't going on if you just want to go to the EAA museum. There won't be anyone there at all...
But most of the EAA grounds are fenced off when the show is over.

The campsites are pretty close together. You can get a big rig in there for EAA but it will be full and tight. One year I couldn't open my awning fully as it hit the 5th wheel next to me and the trailer on my other side had his awning extended right up to and almost touching my slide out.

Everyone is nice there but we did find that if you camp in the back 40, there are a lot of kids running all over the place cutting through your campsites etc. That can be annoying if you don't have kids yourself.

If you want to camp at Sleepy Hollow for Airventure you have to reserve your site by the first of March as it sells out by then. Jeff starts taking reservations in mid January and you have to pay your campground fees 100% for a reservation.

The main campground for Airventure is Camp Scholler run by EAA. It is a huge field, must be 50-75 acres, divided into camping with pets, without pets, daytime generator only areas, and 24 hour generator areas. Very well organized and the campsites have a decent amount of room. Plenty of shower houses and more portapots than you can shake a stick at. They are the cleanest port a pots I have ever seen and are cleaned daily.

They have added a few hundred Electric/water sites in the last 2-3 years. Those sites run about $70 per night and must be paid for from the day you reserve the site until the last day of the airshow. They usually sell out about 4 days before the show starts. EAA starts taking reservations about a month before the show starts. When you make your reservation for electric and water sites, they assign you a specific site number.

Also if you want a no hook up site, they are about $35 a day, and you can request a certain area and they will tape it off with yellow tape as a reserved site or group of sites if your meeting friends there. They never run out of campsites, but if your out at the far end of the campground you will be about three quarters of a mile from the show. There are usually around 40,000 people camped there for the show. But everyone is very nice and respectful and you will be hard pressed to find a piece of trash anywhere on the grounds.

If you have never been there it is something every aviation nut should attend.
Hope to see you there!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #20

I'm willing to bet that if you explain the situation, a lot of small airports would allow you to camp in their parking lot for a few days. They are pretty easy going, especially to pilots.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
I'm willing to bet that if you explain the situation, a lot of small airports would allow you to camp in their parking lot for a few days. They are pretty easy going, especially to pilots.

We go a little further than that, we actually have our airport listed on Boondockers Welcome.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
We go a little further than that, we actually have our airport listed on Boondockers Welcome.
That's very cool (and neat site! I'd never heard of it!).
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #23

We're Oshkosh visitors too and that is an excellent write up about it by SteveNJanet. I don't remember our first visit, but we stopped at Hales Corner thinking it was there and were told they thought it had been moved to Oshkosh. Lots of room then. This year we drove for several hours about the back 40 before finding a suitable, somewhat level, spot. I'm glad we had the Honda S90 and Tracker for transportation. If you go be sure to include a trip to the seaplane base and have a bratwurst with sauerkraut while you're there. It has always been an enjoyable visit for us.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
The seaplane base is a wonderful place to visit...so quiet and relaxing compared to up at the airport. My wife and I go down there to relax every year for a couple of afternoons..... We take the pontoon boat ride around the lagoon each time. Maybe one day I can buy that Sea Ray kit that is on display there every year....

I have been attending Airventure since 1977. I lived in Milwaukee at the time and have a cousin that lives in Oshkosh. I went to the EAA museum when it was in Hales Corners.

When I was just starting out as a CFI, I used to fly down to Burlington when EAA was based there and go poke around the EAA hangar an see what they were up to. They were building that replica of the Spirit of St Louis at that time.

I remember seeing Paul take the EAA P-51 out and buzz the runway at Burlington in those days.

Thanks for the kind words. I was mistaken, the electric and water hookups are $60 per day.

I received a letter from EAA last week stating that for 2016 the reservations for electric/water hookups will be done online so you can check daily on what sites are available and reserve them. That will be nice.

We will be at the corner of 22nd and Lindbergh Ave in Camp Scholler again in 2016, just look for the Class A RV with all the lights and the red Folker F-1 and the Gee Bee on posts....stop in for an adult beverage......that will be me in the recliner out front....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3401.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	112682  
Old 03-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNJanet View Post
The seaplane base is a wonderful place to visit...so quiet and relaxing compared to up at the airport. My wife and I go down there to relax every year for a couple of afternoons..... We take the pontoon boat ride around the lagoon each time. Maybe one day I can buy that Sea Ray kit that is on display there every year....

I have been attending Airventure since 1977. I lived in Milwaukee at the time and have a cousin that lives in Oshkosh. I went to the EAA museum when it was in Hales Corners.

When I was just starting out as a CFI, I used to fly down to Burlington when EAA was based there and go poke around the EAA hangar an see what they were up to. They were building that replica of the Spirit of St Louis at that time.

I remember seeing Paul take the EAA P-51 out and buzz the runway at Burlington in those days.

Thanks for the kind words. I was mistaken, the electric and water hookups are $60 per day.

I received a letter from EAA last week stating that for 2016 the reservations for electric/water hookups will be done online so you can check daily on what sites are available and reserve them. That will be nice.

We will be at the corner of 22nd and Lindbergh Ave in Camp Scholler again in 2016, just look for the Class A RV with all the lights and the red Folker F-1 and the Gee Bee on posts....stop in for an adult beverage......that will be me in the recliner out front....
We've been going to AV for the past 20 years. Camped under the wing of our Super Stinson and for the past 7 years in Camp Scholler.

In 2014, we were at 29th & Schaick and plan to be close to that site this year. Will arrive abt 7/21. Didn't make it to Airventure 2015 due to a 4 month Alaska trip. Will look for you in July, 2016!

a.j. A&P, IA
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #26

You might want to check out Tripletree Aerodrome , in upstate SC. It is a grass field, and they hold several Fly-Ins yearly. And one of the biggest RC Aviation events in the country, Joe Nall . They have camp sights available, on the property.
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #27

Thanks! Will certainly check it out!
jumper777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:11 AM   #28

www.tripletreeaerodrome.com
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote